No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-27, 9:18am
She's Back & Burnin'

Default Has This Concept Gone Too Far?

I've noticed that in the past few months(since my absence) tutorials for purchase have become quite popular. It seems everyone wants in on this venue of selling information, even though alot of it is in the archives of LE and WC and it's free. Just do a search and you will see.

Don't get me wrong please...tutorials for purchase isn't a bad thing. I know it takes a long time to put together an e-book.

I do think some people are taking this to the extreme on info that has been published and shared by many already and for FREE.

So, here is my question:

Do you think the "tutorial for puchase" concept has gone overboard?

Sara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-27, 9:30am
Trying to Hope!

No not at all I think everyone has there own particular way of sharing information and even if its been written down 5 times I may not get it until that one AHhaaa moment

It could be anyones particular way that makes me get that moment or it could be an accident that happens while trying other ways.

I loved my marver until i tried Trey's way of marvering on a graphite plate and now find it hard to pick up the marver at all for larger beads I learned in a class and I saw a million ways to pull cane however it was Mary moths tutorial that really sunk it in to wrap the glass up and on the mandrel so the stripes pull out all the way that I leartned in a tutorial. I had seen other tuts on cane pulling but it was hers that really sunk it in.

If people are willing to pay for the information then why not. Even if they only take the info and try it they still tried.

I dont have 30 tuts I wish i did I may not actually make the beads from the 10 I have but I have learned Valuable information from every one of them that has carried over into other aspects of my beadmaking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-12-27, 9:57am
Certified Thread Killer

I think sometimes it comes down to "what is your time worth".
I often will do a search for a certain technique or effect I want to achieve and I don't have forever to spend looking for it. It might be there in the archives, buried somewhere, but often it doesn't surface quickly.

~Rachelle

How DOES one have too many tanks of oxygen?
Old 2008-12-27, 10:00am
Mr. Cellophane

I think it's a great concept and I am always up for people learning new skills.
However like anything new it is going though growing pains and hopefully will work out.
I think a lot of people are jumping on the bandwagon, but cream rises to the top, and those tutorials that have lots of info and increase a skill, and push the buyer to try something new will survive.

I do see a lot of tutorials that are pretty easy to figure out by just looking at the bead.
Most of them I can figure out on my own.

Libby

Old 2008-12-27, 11:22am
She's Back & Burnin'

Wendy: I am glad you were able to learn something new from the tutorials that you purchased! Yes, Mary (Moth) has come up with new ways of mastering an old technique and has a "gift" when it comes to explaining things.

Rachelle: "what is your time worth?" Well, there are many of us that would say, it takes time and energy to master a new skill. It isn't that hard or time consuming to do a little research with so much information and free tutorials out there in bead land.

Yes, it is easy to go to the tutorial section and pay for information that someone has taken time to put in an e-book.

Libby: thanks for your sweet and rational opinion.

I am not trying to start any fights or 20 page war here, that isn't the point. I just wonder why a few e-books start out with great info and then here comes the bandwagon following...

Has everyone come to sharing with a profit margin???

We used to be a caring and sharing community where everyone helped each other for no monetary gain. Now, I am not so sure...

And thank you for the PM's for those who are afraid of being flamed. I do understand your position.

Sara

Old 2008-12-27, 11:26am

Some yes, some no. I guess it all depends. I love the idea, but I knew it would have big quirks that would need great debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteburner View Post

I do think some people are taking this to the extreme on info that has been published and shared by many already and for FREE.

Sara
This has bothered me a bit. I have seen where a Tutorial that was posted free, was then deleted and is now for sale.

Not sure how I feel about that, but I guess it's their info, and they then can do as they please, and I do understand that this is hard times for many people.

I guesss I am still on the fence.

The ones that I have bought for me, are fantastic and worth every penny. The ones I sent as SS have all gotten stunning reviews.
Old 2008-12-27, 11:40am
FireSculptedCouture.com

I have a couple of really great ones... am happy that I do and LOVE the tutorials as there are not any classes near me.

However, I do feel a bit of a change here on LE concerning sharing of innovation and information. JME, but I am afraid to ask now how do you get "fillintheblank"...

site is not yet available

Old 2008-12-27, 11:51am
She's Back & Burnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaDesigns View Post
This has bothered me a bit. I have seen where a Tutorial that was posted free, was then deleted and is now for sale.
I am so glad to know that I am not the only one that has noticed this.

And RoRo, please don't be afraid to ask whether it be a color combo or technique. There are many of us that don't mind sharing still for FREE.

Sara

Old 2008-12-27, 11:55am
FireSculptedCouture.com

Quote:

And RoRo, please don't be afraid to ask whether it be a color combo or technique. There are many of us that don't mind sharing still for FREE.

Sara
Thanks Sara ~ I think I am having more trouble with types of glass/color combos...

I am in LOVE with the organic style in beads right now but not sure how to achieve that look. Any help would be great!

site is not yet available

Old 2008-12-27, 12:14pm

I think that everyone is right here. I have seen some of the same info for free. Lucky me I have a great memory because I would be the one buying rather than looking. I think that my time is worth a lot ( or maybe I am just plain lazy) cause I doubt I would do a more than cursery search. I don't garden cause its so easy to go to the farmers market (I tell friends it cause I am supporting local economy). On the other hand there are some things that I just want to know how to do. That I have tried to figure out or I am to impatient to wait for my skill to get there and I want a few speed it up pointers. It is a total individual judgement issue. Just my 2 cents, not really worth much. Minerv

Old 2008-12-27, 1:13pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaDesigns View Post
Some yes, some no. I guess it all depends. I love the idea, but I knew it would have big quirks that would need great debate.

Not sure how I feel about that, but I guess it's their info, and they then can do as they please, and I do understand that this is hard times for many people.

I guesss I am still on the fence.

The ones that I have bought for me, are fantastic and worth every penny. The ones I sent as SS have all gotten stunning reviews.
I saw that too - the part I bolded and I felt funny about it. I'm on the fence with you.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-12-27, 7:44pm

Quote:
Do you think the "tutorial for puchase" concept has gone overboard?
I never thought I'd be saying this - but at this point in time, YES.

I'm not pointing blaming fingers at anyone, but all the drama and the ethical/moral questions involved are becoming a constant burden and sucking a lot of the fun out of it. Lately I keep asking myself, why am I doing this again?

I never thought I'd be saying this either, but I don't think I'm going to be publishing another PDF-format tut for purchase. The 2 ones I have will probably always be available either way, but right now, I feel like I'm done with this.

These days, I am exploring other formats - such as a blog where tips and info are shared regularly, and readers have the option of contributing a few bucks now and then if they like (I'd love to hear your input on this idea).

DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to change my mind about this at any point in time. I tend to do that a lot.

|
|
|
Old 2008-12-27, 7:46pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

I think its an amazing idea..
wait ,Ive got more
Im Biased, but I think this new outlet is awesome, I dont get how anyone can think any differently..
I dont get any of the negativity around it at all, it makes absolutely no sense..
and Sarah after thinking about this for thirty seconds I think youre crazy not to make any more pdfs,
yours are awesome, and the few that are voicing the negative comments about it are a speck of dust in the scheme of things.. really think about it, in that whole thread, ha, threads, its the same 4 people nit picking..
people love to see people fail, I dont get that either..

so I think it rocks!
I would have given my first born child if this information was available to me at this kind of price when I started!
(wait thats not very ethical, lol) so I would have paid alot!!!
and here im gonna copy your disclaimer...

DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to change my mind about this at any point in time. I tend to do that a lot.

I also do not think there is less sharing on here as a result of this, I see new hints n tips each day, and tutorials in the regular sections.

Never be afraid to ask a question like what colors etc! 99 percent of people on here will gladly share and have a ball doing it, any excuse to talk about glass!!!

~~
~~

Last edited by Ever After; 2008-12-27 at 7:54pm.
Old 2008-12-27, 8:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
I dont get any of the negativity around it at all, it makes absolutely no sense..
and Sarah after thinking about this for thirty seconds I think youre crazy not to make any more pdfs,
yours are awesome, and the few that are voicing the negative comments about it are a speck of dust in the scheme of things.. really think about it, in that whole thread, ha, threads, its the same 4 people nit picking..
people love to see people fail, I dont get that either..
I know, I know... you're probably right, but I'm sure you of all people can relate to how I feel about this.

Before I became a tutorial writer, I never had to worry about illegal distribution, spyware, warnings, disclaimers, copying, not copying, making decisions for people, making people feel uncomfortable to ask questions or to share information, losing buyers because they don't like my opinions, etc. But what really makes me uncomfortable is how I'm being painted out to be this money hungry, lying, copy-cop bully - even though I know it is untrue and I'm sure most people can see it is untrue, I don't like coming across that way, even if it is only in a few people's minds.

If I wrote a blog, with the "contributions" model, I wouldn't have to worry about any of this at all. It looks so simple right now: here's the information. You can read/use it if you want. If you like it, you can throw me some change. If you can't/don't want to, you don't have to. If you don't like it, you can just go away. You haven't paid me anything so I am under no obligation to you. I'd like to see someone start a thread complaining about that. (Yeah, who am I kidding, I'm sure someone would figure out a way. )

But really, there are other reasons behind the decision. I like blogging. Long-term projects scare me. I actually started working on "Think Pink" back in late '06. It was going to be called "25 Things to do with Rubino Oro", but I can't remember if I actually came up with 25 things. Anyone remember this thread?
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46539

I think it would be much easier for me to update a blog regularly, than put together a PDF, with all the procrastination, all the work involved, and all the drama that comes after it. I'm not sure if it would be as profitable, but I'm not sure if that matters anymore. I know no one is forcing me to spend so much time on those threads, but I do, and I keep thinking - the time it takes me to write each post on the thread (well, the long and thought-out ones) I could be writing a post for that blog.

|
|
|
Old 2008-12-27, 8:54pm

Actually, if you read the responses in the thread, a few of them look really funny now.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46539

|
|
|
Old 2008-12-27, 8:59pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post

These days, I am exploring other formats - such as a blog where tips and info are shared regularly, and readers have the option of contributing a few bucks now and then if they like (I'd love to hear your input on this idea).

Sarah,

Glad to see you couldn't stay away long!

I was 1st introduced to this concept when I found the most wonderful tutorial on knitting socks. It was something I wanted to learn and the site walked me right through the process.

Sarah, I do think it would work for you!

This thread isn't about nit-picking or wanting to see anyone fail.

Sara

Old 2008-12-27, 9:01pm

Quote:
This thread isn't about nit-picking or wanting to see anyone fail.
I know that! I don't think Laurie was referring to this thread.

|
|
|
Old 2008-12-27, 9:06pm

the responses are funny! I love the blog idea myself too, the contributions, I"ve thought along the same lines recently, its just getting the same amount if traffic I get from etsy, etc to my site.

By the way some of the responses on the last thread of chaos, look kinda silly going back n looking at them too, amok amok amok

I do think though I will continue doing pdfs,but also go along the lines of the contributed tips etc per my site/blog, that could be alot of fun and youre right less stress!

after all we are all doing what we love,

~~
~~
Old 2008-12-27, 9:07pm

no!!!! i so wasnt referring to this thred!

~~
~~
Old 2008-12-27, 9:08pm

I don't think anyone should stop, but that is a personal choice and if you feel it would reduce the stress, then that's always a good thing.

As for the words nit picking...This is the way I see it, we need to learn what is good about these tuts and what is not so good. What needs to be improved and how to talk about certain issues. Come to some kind of conclusion if there is one.

In order to do that, sometimes we need to tolerate opinions that don't necessarily make sense, or we feel are just so out there, that it can anger us. We need to look past that, take something from that far out opinion if we can. If we can't then let it go, don't take it personal and move on to the next idea or opinion.

I know that is hard to do.

Sometimes the nit pickers have good ideas or suggestions, it might just be the way they are trying to convey, that pisses us off, or they themselves have made a personal attack on ones sensebilities.

Does that make any sense?

Communication is a good thing
Old 2008-12-27, 9:08pm

Quote:
its just getting the same amount if traffic I get from etsy, etc to my site.
Do you feel like you get a lot of traffic from Etsy? I don't sell my tuts there, but I've always felt like I bring more traffic to them than what they bring to me.

|
|
|
Old 2008-12-27, 9:14pm

I do from the tuts Sarah for sure..
now beads, no

Diana, I know youre right, and nit picking probably wasnt the best choice of words
and and and,
there has been overwhelmingly positive words also conveyed.

~~
~~
Old 2008-12-27, 9:15pm

chit, I bet youre right about bringing more to them...
I have to go to bed,

i need to borrow youre disclaimer agian
love you guys

~~
~~
Old 2008-12-27, 9:20pm

I would like to add that I think a lot of feelings have been hurt, not a good thing.

I think this had divided many people, also not a good thing.

I think this can be corrected, just not sure how???

Maybe this belongs in the I think thread...lol
Old 2008-12-27, 9:21pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Laurie: we luvs you too!!!

Sweet Bead Dreams!

Sara

Old 2008-12-27, 9:33pm

Quote:
there has been overwhelmingly positive words also conveyed.
Yes. There's definitely tons of positive feedback, and I've never regretted doing my tuts for a second.

I jokingly called myself "The Tute Nazi" in the other thread, but what I'm saying here isn't like a "NO TUTES FOR YOU!" statement or anything.

I'm not trying to "punish" the community for its bad behavior or trying to get people to change their ways to bribe me into doing more tuts. I just honestly think this isn't working for me anymore. I still want to research the things that interest me, I want to write about them and I want people to read it - but I would like to find an alternative model that doesn't produce so much drama and raise so many ethical questions.

|
|
|
Old 2008-12-27, 9:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
that doesn't produce so much drama and raise so many ethical questions.
Or maybe it's the other way around.

|
|
|
Old 2008-12-27, 9:37pm
Trying to Hope!

well i hope the ones you wrote now are available for a while I still havent had a chance to buy them as well as some of Lauries Yet

I traded for a few of mine and a few were gifts I am hoping to start buyuing again soon

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-12-28, 5:31am
Knob Creek Glass

I love the tutorials. I do not mind paying for ones that were previously free because usually they are now in a great format. I also love buying the tutorials from the artists that I already took classes from. I am horrible at taking notes etc. Hint, hint, hint!!! I would even buy a class tutorial at an extra cost when i took a class. Please continue doing tutorials!!
Old 2008-12-28, 5:43am

I also love the tutorials and Sarah I almost had a heart attack when I read that are not keen to write anymore, a woman my age can't take this kind of shock.