Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-10, 12:13pm

Default What is Devardi glass???

I was searching around on Ebay and found Devardi glass rods for sale.......they have a gorgeous rose color and others, but the prices seem low and I am a bit leery of the Bay these days.

Anyone know anything about this glass?

Mini-CC& M-5 oxycon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-10, 12:42pm

Never heard of this stuff... neither has Google, apparently. Weird.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-10, 12:43pm

Yeah, I just googled it too and saw that, how odd.

Mini-CC& M-5 oxycon

Old 2009-01-10, 1:16pm

I sent the seller an inquiry asking if it's imported or made here in the US and who makes it. I'll let y'all know what I hear.
Old 2009-01-10, 1:18pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I wonder if it's P.I.G. or made by some of their suppliers? P.I.G. was made in India.

Old 2009-01-10, 1:19pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It looks handpulled, but at the price, I am suspecting it is Chinese.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-10, 2:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
It looks handpulled, but at the price, I am suspecting it is Chinese.
Yeah that is what I was thinking.

I am too much of a noob to purchase it and test the properly, but they looked interesting. We shall see what the seller says.

Mini-CC& M-5 oxycon

Old 2009-01-10, 2:42pm
yukue fumei

they have no feedback as a seller.....

this statement in the auction makes me think twice:

Devardi glass is a handmade, hand pulled glass that uses very ancient glass recipes. It is not like the stripped down comercial varieties that flood the market.

I wonder what a "stripped down" commercial variety means....

nagi

Old 2009-01-10, 3:31pm

Yeah, I was wondering that too.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-10, 9:21pm

Default Devardi Glass

Hello, I just received an email from the seller. The glass is made in India.
Natasha seems to be eager to work with lampworkers. I asked her to put an assortment on ebay and she has. I plan to give it a try and I will post the results here. There are some interesting colors. I cannot believe the price for handpulled glass. If anyone knows or has tried this or any glass made in India, please post here.
Thanks, Jim
Old 2009-01-10, 9:35pm

Quote:
Mixes well with Moretti and other COE 104 glass.
Quote:
Devardi is different than Moretti glass...<snip> since it requires different temperatures and gas mixtures.
Quote:
Some drawbacks are that it melts at a lower temperature than Moretti...<snip>
I'm sorry, but I'm not really buying this.

I have a beadmaker friend from India... I'm going to email her and ask if she knows anything about this glass. I'll let you guys know.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-10, 10:00pm
Ad astra per aspera

I was all eager, years ago, to try the P.I.G. glass from India. Some of the colors were gorgeous but it all shipped absolutely filthy (someone at the time wondered if it had been packed in dung, and it wasn't that far off the mark), a lot of the colors were horribly shocky (mostly from long bubbles), and many weren't compatible even with other PIG, let alone any other 104.

In short, at this point I figure "Danger Will Robinson!!!!" It was heartbreaking to see an entire rod of this lovely moonstone color (kinda like CIM Cirrus, but a little more dense) just pop and plop onto my bench. Granted, that stuff appeared about 9 years ago, this new stuff could be entirely different, but I'd need a LOT of convincing to give it a try again.

Old 2009-01-11, 12:01am
a pox upon an idiot :..

I would be VERY worried about incompatibility with itself and other glass.
Old 2009-01-11, 8:35am

other than the price (omg, pink...for that cheap?) there really aren't many stunning colors there that aren't available somewhere else in trusted "commercial" brands...(I just finally got some CIM colors...omg, gorgeous...still don't have 'em all, but...I got a few!)
I can't deal with the kugler104 issues of "maybe it will blow up" on the beads...I don't think I could stand having pink beads that exploded! I'd cry!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-11, 11:15am
She's Back & Burnin'

I think I'll pass on this one.

Remember the old saying "if it seems to good to be true, it usually is"

Sara

Old 2009-01-11, 11:27am
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
other than the price (omg, pink...for that cheap?) there really aren't many stunning colors there that aren't available somewhere else in trusted "commercial" brands...(I just finally got some CIM colors...omg, gorgeous...still don't have 'em all, but...I got a few!)
I can't deal with the kugler104 issues of "maybe it will blow up" on the beads...I don't think I could stand having pink beads that exploded! I'd cry!
I've only tried a very few of the ASK Kugler colors. If you like their colors, I'd suggest using the 96 palette instead. I use them regularly with Uroboros and the veiled colors from Val, Gail and Michelle, and have no problems. The palette is different from 104, too, so it's a nice change of pace.

Old 2009-01-11, 11:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
I have a beadmaker friend from India... I'm going to email her and ask if she knows anything about this glass. I'll let you guys know.
My friend has never heard of "Devardi", nor has a friend of hers who is a glassblower.

She has tried out other locally-made glasses though, and like people here have been saying - she says they tend to be bubbly and scummy, and so shocky that your bead can shatter if you remove it from the flame for a second. And, of course, there are compatibility issues as well.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-11, 12:09pm
Crazy Snake Lady

The rods look bubbly from what I can see. I'd be very cautious with this glass.
Old 2009-01-11, 12:34pm
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
And, of course, there are compatibility issues as well.
I'm going to guess that there will be with this glass as well. We all know (don't we?) that it's not just COE that determines compatibility. Viscosity also plays heavily into the equation and from the description on e-bay, the viscosity of the 2 are vastly different.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-01-11, 1:18pm

I have used a few of the P.I.G. colors that were made in India. There are a few that are absolutely gorgeous.
I used it in small amounts with Effetre, just as surface detail.. Their transparent red is stunning. Cynthia
and I almost brawled over the few sticks we have left. They also carried a beautiful opaque peach/salmon.

Craig said part of the problem with P.I.G. was that different colors were made by different glassmakers and
then sold under the P.I.G. label. Kind of like R4- until they disclosed it, we weren't quite sure where their colors
were coming from either.

Anyhow, the price is good. I'm betting that there are at least a few colors that play nice and are different from
the palette we have currently. That pink does look very tempting! Good thing I am broke!

Who knows, importing this glass from India might help feed a whole village. Just because it's imported
doesn't mean it's sinister. It is "Buyer Beware" until the glass becomes known and tested, but that goes
without saying for any new glass. I don't use CIM because I don't like the fact that there are colors that don't
anneal in the 940-980 range. I am not gonna reprogram my kiln!

Sarah, I'm not surprised your friend hasn't heard of this one glass company. India is a very populated country. lol!

Kelly

Old 2009-01-11, 1:22pm

There's that saying, Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. I guess that's what I'm trying to say. Can we agree to reserve judgment
until at least one person has tried the glass? I'm thinking positive. I hope they have that glorious P.I.G. red & POUNDS of it!

Kelly

Old 2009-01-11, 2:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
Sarah, I'm not surprised your friend hasn't heard of this one glass company. India is a very populated country. lol!
I know that. Me not stoopid.

Look, maybe this glass is fabulous, I have no idea. I didn't even know there was a PIG glass before this thread - but no one seems to know if that's what this stuff is.

If there's anyone out there who has worked with this glass, I'd be very intrigued to see the results. At this point - while the price is tempting, and so are some of the colors - it just seems too risky to me. The description on the auction pages just doesn't sound reliable.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-11, 2:29pm
offically down under

I know, lets get Gelly to try the PIG glass.

Old 2009-01-11, 2:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
I know, lets get Gelly to try the PIG glass.
LOL, I was thinking the same.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-11, 3:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
There's that saying, Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. I guess that's what I'm trying to say. Can we agree to reserve judgment
until at least one person has tried the glass? I'm thinking positive. I hope they have that glorious P.I.G. red & POUNDS of it!

Kelly
Oh I do agree with this, being a newbie at glass I just don't feel comfortable in trying out a relatively unknown glass. That pink really looks fab though. We will see, I am sure some are going to buy it and try it.

Mini-CC& M-5 oxycon

Old 2009-01-11, 4:52pm

I bought the PIG glass early on and it was HORRIBLE!!!! Disintegrated in the flame, landing on your skin, your desk, your floor and anywhere else it could fly. I finally threw it away. I'm glad someone is going to try the new glass, and I have heard of it, but it won't be me! That stuff was dangerous.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-01-11, 8:05pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

I looked and was intrested in trying it until I saw the price of shipping to Canada from the US $12 per lb .... no way

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2009-01-11, 8:23pm
Tamara Knight

did anyone try this yet?
Old 2009-01-13, 8:37pm

bump

Old 2009-01-14, 12:21am
It's all about the color.

These are all auctions that end in 2-3 days, none have a buy it now option so It will be at least till sometime next week before anyone gets a chance to play with any.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Tags
devardi, missing posts?