Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2011-10-17, 10:40am
Triumphantly Knit!

Talking Who Is Going To Glass Stock East?

Hi Friends! I'm wondering who else is going to glass stock east?

it's getting close, I'm nervous/excited and freaked out that I have to do a demo in front of people.

I need to go pajama shopping.

Costume? Every day is Halloween, so I dunno.....

I'm wondering who all I'm gonna meet. It's my first glass sleep away.

namaste
Rowyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-17, 11:25am

Woohoo! I'll be there and a few others from the MD/VA area. I can't wait. I forgot about the pajamas... and isn't there a hat thing too? I'm trying not to think to mich about the demo only. I've only been at this for a couple years so we'll just see how that goes.
See you soon!

PEACE ON EARTH
Old 2011-10-17, 3:52pm
Still makin' flowers...

Hi guys. Don't be scared - you'll be fine! Really, the demo is nothing to be worried about. Even if its something like "hey, look at how cool these two colors look in this bead" or "look what happens when I fry the *&^!!! outta this thing!"

There's a jammie jam, because playing with fire in your PJs is fun. There's also a hat contest.

And we're also doing a silent aunction. If you've got something you're willing to donate for it (proceeds go towards next year and equipment and all), then let Deb know when you get there.

For details, head over to the thread she started: http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188754

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2011-10-17, 4:39pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

About the demo:

This is the thing freaks people out the most (worrying about it), and ends
up being nothing major. You're not "demoing in front of all those people."
You're usually at a table with two or three other people at the same time,
doing a demo while THEY do a demo too.
People walk around and watch the various demos until it's
time for their own demo. It's very casual and fun. You will learn more from
some of these demos than you will from some of the classes.

Don't sweat the demo.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2011-10-17, 5:53pm
I'm meeeeelting

It's really more like hanging out in a studio with your glass buddies, showing each other how to do stuff than a formal demo. Then GS is ON and you'll have a blast!

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-10-17, 8:24pm
Master Procrastinator

Nothing to worry about Rowyn! It's a blast & the nicest glass peeps you'll ever meet! Had debated going, but am holding out for GS west next year so I can see my old pals. Miss all the GS gang!

Old 2011-10-18, 1:58pm
Always Improving

If this is anything like Glassstock West this year. The demo really is no bif deal.

It truely is like being at a friends studio and jsut showing how you do something.

I had such a great time at West that I almost signed for East, but alas, duty calls and I was unable to go.

Have fun and enjoy.

Mike...
Old 2011-10-19, 12:25pm
Angel's Mom

That's a great way to describe it, Mike. Showing something to a group of friends...that's EXACTLY how it is!

Have fun at GS East!
Old 2011-10-20, 7:59am
Wooohooo,GS!

Ah, Rowan, can't wait to meet you and all the new GSE family!

Thanks so much to everyone for helping folks with their fear of demoing. After 20+ years on the torch I still get a little nervous too but it is over fast.

I have to get jammies too, plus a hat of some kind. This is optional fun but we have some great tools as prizes so maybe getting a new tool is worth finding just the right jammies or hat to put glass on.

Mike, we would love to have you and Muriel any time...I thoroughly enjoyed the 2 of you at GSW! Next time I get up there to see my daughter I will get a hold of you for a visit!

I am SOOOOO excited.....I leave Sunday...in NJ Monday with Hugh to get everything set up.

Remember, Wheaton Village (sp?) is 3 miles away...if you get a chance it is so cool to see all the glass there too!

See you all in a week...if you have any questions post them here and someone will answer....if not, email me and I will try to check daily up to the event.

Woohoo!
deb and the GS East team

Old 2011-10-21, 9:02am
Triumphantly Knit!

thanks everybody, I did pick a demo and have yet to go pj shopping. Deb had been holding my hand thru this and bless her for that.

So Hannah, will be there? can't wait to meet you. Karen, I wasn't sure if you are coming or not.

The hat I was going to decorate I just discovered must be in storage in FL, so it's a search for a hat, too.

I'm such a baby, lol. I used to travel with a service dog so it was like having a friend with me, but I don't need her all the time anymore and I wouldn't bring her to even just a lampwork class, so this going to places on my own is new.

I can't wait, I AM really excited....Lea, I wish you were going. Lea was the first le peep I met ! I consider her my le big sister.

Ahhhhhhh! So, it's countdown time.

See ya'all soon.

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Old 2011-10-21, 9:07am
Triumphantly Knit!

I don't see info on the silent auction. Other than the obvious glassy stuff what kind of things would be good for the silent auction.

So, there is no costume party, just pjs and hats? Ok, I dreamt up the costume, that's one less thing to have to hunt for.

angel blessings
Rowyn

Old 2011-10-22, 9:30pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Rowan, no costume party....just comfy jammies and a hat if you wanna

Silent auction is optional as well, just about anything goes....tools, glass you don't use, books, beads, bead displays...computer stuff. We have even had aprons, shirts, hats, condo stays, candles,,,, bath stuff even!

I am thrilled to have helped sooth some of your fears and kept you from fretting into not coming The first year is always apprehensive for everyone, once you have been to one you get more and more out of it every year! We have a GREAT group of staff who are very patient and willing to show you. We want to build confidence and expound on our art and ideas, that is our mission.

See you all in less than a week, woohoo!
deb and the GSE team

Old 2011-10-24, 8:36am
Triumphantly Knit!

Hi Raven Braid,

Thank you! I'm not feeling, *quite*, so what am I missing here I'm so--alone any more.

My question of the day--What do we bring? tools for our demo and glass for our demo?

do we brings tools for classes?

I'm thinking glass for open torch is provided by the vendors, that's why we make them gifts?

If I'm used to doing my demo on my HH, can I bring it and 1 can of mapp? I'm afraid on an oxy propane torch I may burn up my copper since I've never done it on anything but the HH. I've used mini ccs in classes but not used copper. I don't have alot of the fish net looking copper that I'm using, I've tried to find it and don't know who sells it. What I have was gifted to me by a friend. If I burn it all up, my demo, well, I guess it will just morph into something else.

Do the pj's get glass on them or just the hat?

Are we inside all the time or are we outside for anything?

Are there vendors selling stuff or just the silent auction?

Anything else we peeps who have never been to anything like this might want to bring?

Can I back out now?...Just kidding---wanted to wake Deb up. LOL--ok not funny. How's that jet lag?

I'll have a car for those needing rides to and from motel, I think Marcy had asked about that.

OTT, I'm gonna take my shaking hands over to my torch and try to relax and do some laundry and try not to freak out.....it's a busy schedule I'm not used to, lots of classes early in the morning, my head is working overtime, where's my spiritual side when I need her? 4 nights away from my baby(Luna), yikes! In 10 years I've never been away from her for that long.

OK, I think I've out geeked myself. My heart's still pounding.

I'll be easy to recognise, I'll be the one shaking in the corner watching everyone else!
This is a new adventure...onward-right?

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-10-24, 9:28am
Still makin' flowers...

Rowyn:

The first time is always overwhelming for people. My first year, I was so overwhelmed I couldn't even focus on the newletters. I decided to just wing it.

Not to worry. Once you get there you'll have too much fun to care.

I think Deb has already left for New Jersey. She and Hugh will be spending the week setting up for us.

!
Old 2011-10-24, 9:38am
Triumphantly Knit!

That was another question, do we bring our own mandrels? what about bead release.

I keep reading the newslettre and it goes in one eye and out the window.

I need to find it back in email and print it....now if Bob would replace the printer paper he used up I could do THAT!

reminder to self: printer paper.

angel blessings
Rowyn

Old 2011-10-24, 9:45am
I like to melt things

The only thing that is too important to forget is your notarized waiver.

Everything else can be bought, replaced, done without or invented once you get there

I hope everyone has a great time! I wish I was coming too, because GS West is so much fun.

-
-
Old 2011-10-24, 10:07am
I'm meeeeelting

I'm lurking in this thread, wishing I was joining you guys. Assuming all is the same as GS West, bring whatever tools you most like to use (labeled clearly with your name) and whatever tools are listed for the classes you are taking. Bring glass for your demo. There will be bins of glass available for open torch (mostly the shorts left over from classes), but it's not a bad idea to bring glass if there's something in particular you think you'll want to play with at open torch (keep in mind that your plans may completely change, though, as you're likely to want to practice something you learned in class or something that another participant has kindly demo-d for you. Deb picks a donor or two each year to be able to sell at GS, so you can usually pick up some glass or a tool you forgot while you're there.

The hat should have glass on it or be made from glass. The PJs should be cotton so you don't burn holes in them at open torch.

You need your sponsor gifts, waiver and ID to get in the door the first day.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-10-24, 10:20am
Still makin' flowers...

Remember to bring - two sponser items (should be a glassy thing)
Optional - silent auction donation (can be anything). I'll be taking care of this, so you can give that item directly to me on Thursday nite or Friday morn.

Check out the classes you are taking on deb's website. They'll tell you what tools to bring. Make sure your tools are well labeled and in something you can carry. We don't have room for rolly-carts in the location.

You don't need to bing mandrels or bead release. Glass Stock provides both.

Thursday Night, Oct 27
6pm - "Meet and Greet" will start at 6pm on Thursday.
Don't forget your signed and notarized waiver!
7-10pm - demos - 4 people at a time doing their 20-60 minute demo. Send in your demo information to Doretha Jones (dvmeow@aol.com) If you need special colors, foils, frits, etc, please BRING ENOUGH FOR YOU TO COMPLETE YOUR DEMONSTRATION!!! We will supply basic boro and Moretti. You'll win a demo piece from someone else on Sunday!

Friday Oct 28
7:30 Check-in begins.
8am SHARP - Safety meeting starts.
9am - Classes Begin
morning sessions are 9-1pm
1-2pm is lunch break
2-6pm are afternoon sessions
6-7pm dinner break. All attendees need to exit building
7-10pm Open Torch, Silent Auction and Man/Woman Auction.

about: The "Man/Woman auction" - a great way to buy an art piece made especially for you and you get to watch the artist make it! Anyone can sign up at the auctions start, the artist should be able to make the piece in an hour or less. These pieces must be completed Friday or Saturday night at open torch or the money is refunded to winning bidder. Please bring a few items you can make in an hour for people to see what they might pick for you to make if they win you. It is hard to bid on something you can't see and a great way for some of the attendees to get a fellow artist's work! Half of the proceeds goes to the artist directly, half goes to Glass Stock Scholarship fund. I purchased Eric Eisner this past year at Glass Stock West and he gave me a beginner's lesson in how to use boro tubing. He taught me to make a little ornament and a tiny bottle.

About the Silent Auction - You get to bid on something! Write your name and your bid amount on the sheet of paper in front of the item. Highest bid wins!

Saturday
9am - Classes Begin
morning sessions are 9-1pm
1-2pm is lunch break
2-6pm are afternoon sessions
6-7pm dinner break. All attendees need to exit building
7-10pm Open Torch, Pajama Jam and Glassy Hat Contest

Saturday night we have our "Pajama Jam" and "Glassy Hat" contests! Anyone who shows up in jammies (non-flammable, something you would really sleep in!) can enter voting for best pajamas. For Pajama Jam, anyone wearing jammies who signs up by 7:15 we will randomly pair up with someone else at 7:30pm. Both people start a bead or sculpture...after 10 minutes you both switch and the other person works to finish creating it in 10 minutes. If you participate, then on Sunday you will get to draw and win one of the items made by 2 other people who made them too. We will do 8 people, 4 teams, at a time.

For the hat contest, you have to be able to wear it (not torch in it)! ANY hat that has glass you made on it somewhere counts but presentation is huge too! Voting for best Pajamas and Best hat will be from 7:15-7:30pm. Winners will be announced at 7:30.

Sunday
9am-1pm - Classes
2:30 pm - drawing for demo pieces & items created at jamma jam
3pm - group photo
3-5pm - Open Torch

!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2011-10-25 at 6:54am.
Old 2011-10-24, 10:43am
Triumphantly Knit!

Hannah,

My newslettre says that the safety meeting is Thursday night at 7, and that demos are at 7:30. Then it says all days start with classes at 9.

is this changed to what you wrote? i tried to copy and paste from newslettre but it won't let me.

I sure hope we don't need to be there 7:30 am.

thanks for posting all that

namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-10-25, 6:53am
Still makin' flowers...

Rowyn: Nope, the safety meeting is 8am sharp on Friday. Deb did that just in case you can't make it there on Thursday night. If you do come on Thursday night, howveer, you can check in then and won't have to come at 7:30 on Friday.

NEWS FLASH: We will have visa/mastercard capabilities on the man/woman auction and on the silent auction. So bid 'em up folks!

!
Old 2011-10-25, 11:41am
Triumphantly Knit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahRachel View Post
Rowyn: Nope, the safety meeting is 8am sharp on Friday. Deb did that just in case you can't make it there on Thursday night. If you do come on Thursday night, howveer, you can check in then and won't have to come at 7:30 on Friday.

NEWS FLASH: We will have visa/mastercard capabilities on the man/woman auction and on the silent auction. So bid 'em up folks!
Oh Lord have mercy...unlimited bidding capabilities while sleep deprived

Artists, early mornings???

Old 2011-10-26, 2:37pm
Still makin' flowers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tumblingdragonz View Post
Oh Lord have mercy...unlimited bidding capabilities while sleep deprived
Artists, early mornings???
Yup, we're doing that so you're sleep deprived when the bidding starts.

!
Old 2011-10-27, 8:35am
Triumphantly Knit!

Hannah..I've emailed Deb and Cheryl. I'm really sick. Seriously. it started with a rash and my shoulder acting up yesterday and my dr. said for me to stay home. I still packed and got up today with going on my mind, but the rash is spread, it's like welts and bumps and today I really feel sick.

I did ask some friends if they want my spot but they can't go at the last minute.

I am so effine bummed, and I got really good pjs, too..

anyway, how do I reach someone?

(muttering curse words under breath, and not under breath, like really LOUD)

namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-10-27, 11:06am
Type ZZZ personality

Sooo??????? Did everyone have a great time?
I've been waiting to hear and... nothing!

I bet you're all exhausted from having the best time of your lives!

Come on! Details! Pictures!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2011-10-29, 7:45pm

Saturday night and i've been having a blast! Everyone is sooooo nice and helpful. It's absolutely freezing but we're still having fun. Pics will follow!

PEACE ON EARTH
Old 2011-10-30, 2:52am
Still makin' flowers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tumblingdragonz View Post
Hannah..I've emailed Deb and Cheryl. I'm really sick. Seriously. it started with a rash and my shoulder acting up yesterday and my dr. said for me to stay home. I still packed and got up today with going on my mind, but the rash is spread, it's like welts and bumps and today I really feel sick
Rowyn, I am so sorry to hear you have been sick. Please take care of yourself and get well soon.

------
Edited to add - I just got home. I had a wonderful time. It was so fantastic to meet new people and see old friends.

!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2011-10-30 at 7:54pm.