Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-01-09, 4:37pm

Default Torch vs. Hothead question

I received a Nortel Major Minor for Christmas. I've been using a Hothead for approximately 3 years. I spent the afternoon hooking everything up and I'm really surprised at the outcome. Is it normal for a bead to take a considerably longer time? I hooked the torch to an Oxygen Concentrator (EX-15) and a propane tank. I can't describe it except to say it takes a while for the glass to become fire red and the flame seems a little soft.
Old 2013-01-09, 4:40pm

Everything has a learning curve, work on adjusting the mixtures to get the three major types of flames.

Old 2013-01-09, 7:41pm
Salt Box Beads

No that is not normal.

You should be able to move glass a lot faster. You need to check your candles and make sure you have your propane to oxygen ratios correct for a neutral flame.

Here is a thread that might help...

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...al+flame+check
Old 2013-01-10, 3:48am
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz.e.beads View Post
I received a Nortel Major Minor for Christmas. I've been using a Hothead for approximately 3 years. I spent the afternoon hooking everything up and I'm really surprised at the outcome. Is it normal for a bead to take a considerably longer time? I hooked the torch to an Oxygen Concentrator (EX-15) and a propane tank. I can't describe it except to say it takes a while for the glass to become fire red and the flame seems a little soft.
Need. More. Info.

But it sounds like you are not getting enough O2 from the EX-15.

Does the silver ball on the oxycon move when you turn the knob ?
(Set it to 7 LPM, the middle of the ball on the line is the way to read it.)

If the ball does not move:

Did you twist the connector on the oxycon when you attached the hose ?
If so, the internal tubing is twisted restricting output. (turn back the other way to fix)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-01-10, 7:36am

also....are you using the major or the minor on top?
the topfire will run decently on one ex15 oxycon....great for making beads in 104 or 96....any soft glass.
the major is just too much torch for only one oxycon....
Old 2013-01-10, 8:02am
PyronamixK

Make sure that you have no leaks in your hoses or connections and make sure that your concentrator is set to where it is supposed to be set (whatever your instructions say for that machine).

If you are trying to run the lower fire on your concentrator, then the problem is that it needs more oxygen. Try running just the top burner (Minor) and adjust your flame so that it is a neutral flame. If you look on my YouTube channel, I have a video of a Minor Burner running on a 10 LPM machine and it shows what the candles on a neutral flame look like. Since you have less oxygen available, your candles will be a little shorter, but you can still get that look (blue jets with small tips on the ends).

ETA: The link to my YouTube channel is in my signature and here is the link to the Minor Burner on 10 LPM Regalia video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c6TO...zwmrEA&index=2
Old 2013-01-10, 8:53am

Did you mean Mega Minor? If so, I also upgraded over Christmas from a HotHead and no from what you are describing that is not normal.

I am running mine on bulk propane and bottled oxygen and it runs like a dream. Took me about an afternoon to twiddle with the settings and reading/watching the links as mentioned above to get a feel for it. It runs like a dream for me now!

Good luck, the suggestions above should get your working properly and you should be very happy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~