AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-01-29, 9:35am

Default BEWARE! e-tutorial theft. BLOCK Capt. Ron.

Today, Three of us so far have had chargebacks for electronic tutorial being purchased and then the money was charged back.
Capt Ron purchased 3 tutorials from me on Jan 17th,2010. Today, $41.00 was charged back on my paypal account..
So far, He's hit Me, Charmaine and Moth.
Paypal has NO protection plan for electronic e-book or media. The only recourse is to file internet fraud.
Has anyone else been hit by this charge back?

Clip from the charge back I received this morning.

As a result, we have reversed the following transaction:
Transaction date: Jan. 17, 2010
Transaction amount: $41.00 USD
Buyer's email: captnron03@yahoo.com
Buyer's name: Ron Smith
Old 2010-01-29, 9:41am

He'd have to be elevated to reach LOW. sheesh.

Ginko Beads
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-29, 9:45am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

All, you should be able to get the person's phone # from paypal to attempt to clear the dispute. Then you should be able to find out their real name.

Also, everyone, you need to call and tell Paypal that this person is doing it serially, setting a pattern and they will put the account under review.

Don't just accept it. It took us months to get Ullja's paypal shut down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-29, 10:09am

THIS IS CAPT. RON

ETSY USER NAME IS sundown487
Here are the details about this transaction:
Item: Pleated Vessel Tutorial (quantity: 1)
Transaction ID: 24275757
Item price: $16.00
Shipping cost: $0.00

Item: Sea Horse Tutorial w/Bonus Murex Shell tutorial (quantity: 1)
Transaction ID: 24275756
Item price: $25.00
Shipping cost: $0.00

Total Sale: $41.00 (USD)
Payment Type: PayPal
Shipping Address:
Cheryl Curran
1311 NE Franklin
Sarcoxie Missouri 64862
Old 2010-01-29, 10:31am

Hit me too!!

Old 2010-01-29, 10:33am
lurking on LE since 2005

Default tut fraud

must have been a red letter day for Capt. Ron.
argh! (in case he actually is a pirate)

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2010-01-29, 10:36am

I sent you a pm. Looks like several other etsy sellers have been hit by this person.

Ginko Beads
Old 2010-01-29, 10:36am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Ok folks! I have a lead here:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/loc...l?start:int=15

Check out the first comment on the bottom. (CaptnRon)

You all need to call the newspaper!

Last edited by pierces*designs; 2010-01-29 at 10:41am.
Old 2010-01-29, 10:43am

I'm not having any luck with that link, Debbie. helps please.

Ginko Beads
Old 2010-01-29, 10:45am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Try it again, it is opening every time for me.

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/loc...l?start:int=15

Click it, don't cut and paste it

Old 2010-01-29, 11:10am
Detail G-Mama!

I got hit today! Just what I needed!

Old 2010-01-29, 11:23am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

The person definitely lives in Sarcoxie Missouri. People have been shipping physical items there.

Call the paper I linked to above and tell them what is going on. Get them investigating

Phone: 417.623.3480, 1.800.444.8514

Old 2010-01-29, 11:25am
sabrinadesign

They got me for 43.00. It's not much on the individual level but when you start adding it all up it's a large amount.
Old 2010-01-29, 11:31am
Detail G-Mama!

So Ron is the police chief and his wife Cheryl Curran is the one that is doing all this or is it Ron himself doing ths?

Old 2010-01-29, 11:36am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

The names are all related on facebook. This reminds me so much of another freaky twisted situation. KWIM?

Old 2010-01-29, 11:37am
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierces*designs View Post
The person definitely lives in Sarcoxie Missouri. People have been shipping physical items there.

Call the paper I linked to above and tell them what is going on. Get them investigating

Phone: 417.623.3480, 1.800.444.8514
I'd call the police station and ask to file a report of theft against Cheryl Curran. Playing dumb. You just know her address from the PayPal chargeback (and how would you know her hubby is the police chief?) Talk about how a group is thinking about calling the local papers - yadda yadda. If enough folks did THAT - uhhh - something might happen.

Although I wonder if he/she is reading here.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-01-29, 11:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgslampwork View Post
I'd call the police station and ask to file a report of theft against Cheryl Curran. Playing dumb. You just know her address from the PayPal chargeback (and how would you know her hubby is the police chief?) Talk about how a group is thinking about calling the local papers - yadda yadda. If enough folks did THAT - uhhh - something might happen.

this is a fantastic idea.
Old 2010-01-29, 11:55am

that's what I'm trying to do right now. I don't know if they will take a police report over the phone though. I'm still waiting to talk to someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgslampwork View Post

Old 2010-01-29, 12:04pm

My guess is Captain Ron is actually the wife (defending him in the article comment) and since she is the check bounce/felon it is she that is doing the ordering. If the husband still has a job, my guess is that one more incident by the wife will put his employment situation over the top.

Old 2010-01-29, 12:09pm
Detail G-Mama!

I got an email on where to send the tutorial from Cheryl Curran but it was signed Ron (prolly just her saying it was Ron)

Old 2010-01-29, 12:10pm
And silence is golden

Pretty stinking bad when you lower yourself to actually steal a pdf file. Are we absolutely sure that it isn't another u prank being routed through Missouri? FBI for out of state crime?

Last edited by Shrimp; 2010-01-29 at 12:12pm.
Old 2010-01-29, 12:11pm

Could they be divorced and she's riding the credit card for all it's worth? And he's trying to stop it??

Old 2010-01-29, 12:14pm

Can someone link me to their etsy account or can that be done? I'm not getting anything

Old 2010-01-29, 12:16pm
da General

They are member of LE and are reading out threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadraven View Post
Hmmm......

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/member.php?u=16380 Joined on Christmas, online today.

There is also a sundown designs as a user name.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-29, 12:20pm
Detail G-Mama!

Lovely!

Old 2010-01-29, 12:21pm
Tweedle Dumb

But they have 0 posts. Take it to the bathroom. She won't be able to see.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-01-29, 12:25pm
Empress of Fire & Wire

this person placed an order for shards, but never made payment and I jsut canceled the sale, it is a real shame that these lowlife's steal from small businesses like us.

Old 2010-01-29, 12:35pm

Don't hide what you guys are doing in response to this. It might prompt the person to do the right thing prior to charges being filed or it getting into the local press. Also, contact the nearest network TV station, whatever it might be. Try their "problem solver's" person.
Old 2010-01-29, 12:41pm

Cheryl Curran bought 4 tutorials from me and Ron Smith reversed the payments.
Looks like from her feedback that she's been on a buying spree for quite a while.

Sundown487 on Etsy
sundown_487 at hotmail.com
Reversed by Ron Smith

Their mailing addresses are the same.

Old 2010-01-29, 12:51pm
Meow.

Ummm - look at this article:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/loc...242221113.html

The Police dude's name is Brent Curran (not Ron) and his wife's name is Malia (different last name). Doesn't *seem* like the person mentioned in this article for passing *A* bad check is the same as the person who is stealing tutorials. Now maybe the thief is related to the police chief - same last name (and I'd still call the local police department to her area)...but I think folks need to be carfeul in internet sleuthing as to not involve folks who are not involved.

That's all...

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!