Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-10-04, 5:33am

Default Glass Doll Eyes Tutorial

MY WEBSITE IS BACK!

I had to quit doing glasswork about 20 months ago, and all my customers were left without glass eyes for their one-of-a-kind dolls. No one has yet stepped in to fill the need for these eyes. I was unable to keep up with the demand even before my tendons gave in. The profit margin is high and I shipped orders all over the world. Here is my tutorial:

http://jane.walkerillustration.com/w..._doll_eyes.htm

I will be happy to post a link to you from my site and to try to direct customers to you.

Jane Walker

Last edited by ArtbyJaneWalker; 2010-02-03 at 4:13pm. Reason: WEBSITE back
Old 2009-10-04, 6:10am
Macaw Mamma

I couln't possibly do this, but it's cool and you are cool to post such a unique opportunity to those with that talent and ability..... I love all of your art!!!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2009-10-04, 6:48am

Wow! That was awesome! I hope you find someone to take over for you! And, I hope you find to express your incrdible creativity that is acceptable with your tendons!
Old 2009-10-04, 7:53am

Default New endeavor--in a contest

I'm now trying fabric design and am in a fabric design contest that ends Tues. Oct 6. My design is entry #1 "Nasturtiums Spoons Mosaic"

contest is here and anyone can vote:
http://blog.spoonflower.com/

I really hope someone can take over making tiny glass eyes!
Old 2009-10-04, 8:05am
Trying to Hope!

ooooh I would love to try this will have to and let you know how it goes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy Here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2009-10-04, 8:13am
Critter Mom

Hi Jane ... What a coincidence, I found your website just a few days ago while looking for a tut on making eyes. I'm gonna give it a try once I get back out to my studio. We're still repairing water damage to our house, but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel now so I should be getting back to the torch soon. so are my toes and eyes...this has been a long process with many delays.

Old 2009-10-04, 8:19am
Glass Wrangler

Thanks, I'll give it a try once my hubby finishes the new studio. We have to tile the countertop and a few more things.

Thanks for sharing. I've been looking into this for years.

Good luck with everything else!

Old 2009-10-04, 8:47am
Rose colored glasses…√

I don't have time to take over a business or I'd SO be jumping on this. Of course, making the same thing day after day may drive me the remainder of the short distance to "bat shit crazy". I've made BUNCHES of glass eyes for my Mom's dolls. I prefer to work tiny, so it's relatively easy for me. Your way looks easier than my way, so thank you SO VERY MUCH for sharing your "How To".

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2009-10-04, 9:04am
novembersfyre everywhere

Jane, I want to thank you for the tut. I haven't tried it yet but I intend to.
I've become interested in 3D felting and I love the look of glass eyes for my critters. I highly doubt I could take over your business. If I do ever get extra eyes made I'll let you know

Old 2009-10-04, 9:16am
Otter

Hey Jane very cool I will play around with your tut and see how I do.

I really like making eyes,

Otter

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2009-10-04, 9:30am
Glassy Broad :-)

Oh this is wonderful!!! I'm going to give it a go today, and I'll let you know! I have a "thing" for eyes. What a great tutorial and thanks for sharing!
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2009-10-04, 10:32am

Hey, if several people each make eyes part time, my customers would be thrilled! In fact, they would love the greater variety. Many times I was asked to do lighter, darker, different color, size, etc. and had to say I just didn't have time. I'm glad I found this forum--I didn't know about it until yesterday when someone on another glass forum suggested I come here.

PS--As a "business" it was just me working at home! But, as I said, I had customers all over the world by the time I had to quit.
Old 2009-10-04, 12:47pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I will surely give it a try.

That fabric design of yours is quite beautiful I must say!
Old 2009-10-04, 1:36pm

Default Thanks!

People can vote for my fabric design...http://blog.spoonflower.com/
Old 2009-10-04, 2:09pm

Ms Jane!

Thank you for the great tutorial (my sister makes porcelain dolls and would love to be able to order eyes).

Your site is FULL of other great tutorials and designs and you have a talent for Writing as shown in your Blog on Asperger's and your Natural Garden information.
Old 2009-10-04, 2:59pm

Can you give us a guideline on your pricing for these?

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-10-04, 3:26pm

I sold pairs for $6.50. I sold unmatched leftovers in bags of 50 eyes for $15 per bag (all one color per bag). The unmatched eyes sold just as well as the pairs.
Old 2009-10-04, 3:31pm

Oh, and I have a large supply of little zip-top bags. I would be happy to sell them! For packaging, I used thin foam wrapping/packing material to stick the eyes onto, then folded the foam over them and put them in a bag. This can be purchased, but I always just found it various places--once got a huge supply from my local library. It had been wrapping some furniture they had just had delivered.
Old 2009-10-04, 4:23pm

Default voting

[quote=ArtbyJaneWalker;2690252]People can vote for my fabric design...http://blog.spoonflower.com/[/QUO

I voted
Old 2009-10-04, 4:34pm

Thanks for voting!

Here is an image of pairs of my eyes. It shows how well they are matched and the variations in iris sizes:
Old 2009-10-04, 4:36pm

You can also see the eyes in dolls here:http://jane.walkerillustration.com/minfigs.htm
Old 2009-10-04, 4:45pm
Macaw Mamma

I voted too..........fingers crossed!!!!!!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2009-10-04, 4:47pm

Thanks for that link showing the eyes in dolls.

I really enjoyed seeing them all!
Old 2009-10-04, 5:22pm
And silence is golden

This is so weird. I was just looking up glass eyes for dolls this afternoon.
Old 2009-10-05, 7:31am

I would love to make eyes for your customers, I am a stay at home mom, so I could do it full time or part time if there were others who were interested. I used to work in polymer clay myself so I understand what they are looking for. I am in Canada but if you have customers all over the world that shouldn't matter. PM me if you want and thanks for the tut!

Old 2009-10-05, 9:51am

I had a number of Canadian customers who would no doubt love to "buy Canadian".
Old 2009-10-05, 11:20am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Oh my goodness, this looks like fun. I make eyes but just as murrini. I'll give the end of a pin technique a try and let you know how it goes.
Your fabric is amazing, by the way. So beautiful.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2009-10-05, 7:52pm

Very cool tutorial Jane. I just may need to try this. Great drawings and explinations.

What type of pin did you use?

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2009-10-05, 8:16pm
In search of her path....

Jane what type of pin are you using a standard straight sewing pin or are you using high temp wire thats been cut...Id always been fascinated by these and though I might give it a go.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-10-06, 2:15am
Hello?

I've often thought about trying this. Thank you so much for the tutorial Jane. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.