No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-30, 12:36pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

WOW, truly beautiful, and lovely earring designs!
Old 2010-11-30, 1:16pm

Melodie-those are great! Must get some butterscotch......
Old 2010-11-30, 1:32pm

Why, thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2010-12-01, 7:48am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Morning everyone! I got another night on the torch, so I worked up more cuties... first a Pixie Dust Heart, and then a fat piggie and a smiling bear!

.•:*¨*:•..•:*¨*:•.
Old 2010-12-01, 11:11pm
<–I really do inks!

Kristina, if it is not to intrusive, can you give me a roundabout figure for what you would charge for your assortment of pieces shown.

You guys just all blow me away with how beautiful your work is, to me it's like the Hope Diamond!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Imagination is a powerful thing!
Thanks in advance! Beth

Old 2010-12-02, 5:27am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewschott View Post
Kristina, if it is not to intrusive, can you give me a roundabout figure for what you would charge for your assortment of pieces shown.

You guys just all blow me away with how beautiful your work is, to me it's like the Hope Diamond!

You Sweetheart! They are each for sale on my Etsy right now. Look at all the Critters there and make a selection (look in other sections as well if you like) and if you (or any of our other LE Devardi family) email me I will do better for you.

Here's the Critter section link:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/FineFollyGl...ion_id=6870433

finefolly@bellsouth.net

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-12-02 at 5:34am.
Old 2010-12-02, 3:07pm
Help i am on fire

just received my newest shipment from devardi. could not have been more pleased. bought the stringers and it looks great. plus they sent me some free stringers . i am going to have me some fun tomorrow. thanks devardi!!!
Old 2010-12-03, 6:53am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Encasing

I have a large encased bead today... it is full of the large effetre murrini and all the twisties I could reach, and encased with Devardi Clear. I used the dot method of encasing since I am on a Hothead. It's the only way I can encase murrini without smearing.

I just watched a Japanese video on their encasing and lampwork, and it's different from ours. One way they encase it they smash a large gather of clear into a pancake on the end of the clear rod, and heat it droopy and lay it on the bead and stretch wrap to encase, and then use a tool to spread it before final heat shaping.

Have any of you seen that technique? They also use tools to shape from the start when making a bead, no long heating and shaping with it molten.

I'd like to hear what techniques you all use.

Old 2010-12-03, 8:21am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Kristina, I've seen the Japanese encasing method. I have the Tonbo Dama book and dvd and it is wonderful. They use a very different glass, Satake comes to mind. I have some but haven't used it yet, but I am imagining it is much softer than Devardi.

Your bead looks great, especially with the dot encasing...I usually catch soot when I do that. My encasing method on the hot head was to use thick clear stringers wrapped in rows.

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-12-03, 8:27am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Mona. I really like the methods I saw. Artco has some inexpensive super soft glass for sale, like Satake I bet.

I also wanted to ask people what you use for Bead Release, and does it get weak after a few days sitting on a mandrel? Mine seems to be breaking easily as I wrap if I have left the mandrels dipped and sitting for 2-3 days.

Do any of you have that trouble, and do you have any counsel?
Old 2010-12-03, 8:34am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Kristina, I have some of that glass from Malcolm, and it is formulated to work like Satake. I haven't tried that yet either, but the colors in rod are beautiful.

My fave release is Foster Fire Smooth and Tough. No problems within a couple days but after a couple weeks I have to be more careful. Make sure your glass is melty enough not to pull on the release when you lay it down; that might improve things for you. It is easy to work too fast and not get glass hot enough when using a hot head. The HH sure taught me patience.

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-12-03, 8:39am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I sure know what you mean on the patience! But the flip side is I am pretty much used to it now.

I was looking at the adjustable Japanese Torch because it is lower heat like a HH, but has the adjustable oxy and propane... the price could gag a moose, but it is appealing!
Old 2010-12-03, 8:48am
StudioMarcy

Kristina, I use dip n go blue bead release which i love. it's like iron.
Lots of different ways of encasing. the pancake style is used in the states too. but not as popular. have used japanese volcano torches and satake. what fun. the glass just oozes. I love the softness of it.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-12-03, 9:04am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Kristina, I use dip n go blue bead release which i love. it's like iron.
Lots of different ways of encasing. the pancake style is used in the states too. but not as popular. have used japanese volcano torches and satake. what fun. the glass just oozes. I love the softness of it.
Thank you Marcy. I may try that bead release then. Did you use the adjustable Japanese Torch? If so, how do you think it would do with Devardi?

I just rented the DVD on Japanese Beadmaking. It struck me that many of the methods apply to Devardi due to the need for low heat. I use tools to shape right away usually, like they do, and it is so neat to see their way of working patterns and making encased flowers. If anyone is interested it can be rented online for $9 at
http://smartflix.com/store/video/586...se-Glass-Beads
Old 2010-12-03, 9:23am
StudioMarcy

Hi Kristina, I think it would work slightly better than an oxy prop. torch, but I don't know what the comparison would be to a hothead. The large fluffy flame would keep it a bit warmer all around and maybe less popping. however, I don't know what an adjustable torch is, compared to the Japanese ones I've used. Soft flames make sense, but it's still 104 glass which takes longer to melt than the softer glass. I would also worry with the popping that glass could easily fall into the torch. If it's a similar torch that I tried, the flame shot straight up and the torch head was directly below where I worked. I would think that would be easier to gunk up with flying glass. And Devardi can do that.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-12-03, 9:28am

Wow Kristina, I just popped over to the pixie dust thread. Unbelievable! I just ordered three colors from Devardi lol, I have to try it. and you are right it may be a good substitution for sparkle instead of dichroic.

Lovely critters too, one day I will have time to try all the things I want to try lol.

I have noticed that if I dip my mandrels when its cold they tend to flake a lot more when heated up, because the metal mandrels expand just a tiny bit, causing things to flake

Old 2010-12-03, 9:51am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
hen its cold they tend to flake a lot more when heated up, because the metal mandrels expand just a tiny bit, causing things to flake
I'll look forward to seeing what you create! And testing the Pixie Dust first is a good idea. I just found out that putting the Roman or the Fuscous on brown creates a reaction and it turns the bead green underneath!

And your point on cold and mandrel dipping could explain it, because my studio is a glassed in porch and it's really cold in the mornings now... and that's when I like to get set up to work at night after kids are in bed... I dip my mandrels and clean things and so on in the morning. So maybe that explains the easy flaking I've been getting lately?

We are a real help to each other! Thank yous for all you post!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-12-03 at 9:56am.
Old 2010-12-03, 10:17am

We are now distributing Devardi Glass in the USA.

We are still waiting on full stock, but have most everything now.

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/index...b5o86pab54l6j3

Old 2010-12-03, 10:20am
Hot Glass Neophyte

How exciting ABR - and your site is awesome too!
Old 2010-12-03, 2:46pm
<–I really do inks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
You Sweetheart! They are each for sale on my Etsy right now. Look at all the Critters there and make a selection (look in other sections as well if you like) and if you (or any of our other LE Devardi family) email me I will do better for you.

Here's the Critter section link:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/FineFollyGl...ion_id=6870433

finefolly@bellsouth.net
Kristina, you do not charge enough! Well, certainly not enough if you used all the gas and time I did for one bead!

This is the hardest thing with the art world I am really part of, setting prices. It's especially difficult since so much is based on how the like artist in your area price theirs.

I need to get some pictures of my newest attempts with the lovely glass Natasha sent me!

Imagination is a powerful thing!
Thanks in advance! Beth

Old 2010-12-03, 4:01pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewschott View Post
Kristina, you do not charge enough! Well, certainly not enough if you used all the gas and time I did for one bead!

This is the hardest thing with the art world I am really part of, setting prices. It's especially difficult since so much is based on how the like artist in your area price theirs.

I need to get some pictures of my newest attempts with the lovely glass Natasha sent me!

Thank you and I agree, but sometimes it's making the choice of setting a price to sell instead of setting the price to get what it's worth in time and materials. For me, I choose to set the price to continue to move the things I make, because I enjoy the making so much.

Also, I see our economy undergoing real strain, so I also price for regular people who feel the pinch... if I ever switch to using Sterling I would raise prices. How do you set prices for your art?

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-12-04 at 8:18am.
Old 2010-12-04, 8:22am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Morning everyone! I have two focals I just made with my new Lentil Press... as you can see, they are pretty wonky, but I am excited that I was able to make them. I used the 96 frit and silver wire for the silver dots on the left one, and Silver foil made into a Twistie on the gold one. Now to practice shape and getting rid of bubbles! Any tips?

I haven't been into focals so far, but the "5 Month Challenge" thread is so inspiring I wanted to try. Have any of you seen it?

Old 2010-12-04, 8:42am

Has anyone played with the copper black yet? I ordered some and only played with it once. The copper is hard to achieve on a oxy propane torch like it says on the website but I was going to try to reduce it with a propane bottle at the end. Anyone have any luck with it?

Old 2010-12-04, 8:47am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I've played with the Metallic Silver and it's neat. I have some of the copper but haven't tried it. Has anyone else? It would be neat to hear and see results.
Old 2010-12-04, 8:51am

Yes, It would. The metalic black is no problem. It kind of just does it's thing as you work it. The copper stays dead black all the way through, and then your suppose to reduce it. I has directions on the site to do it at the torch, but it also says it's much easier with a hot head. I tried and got some reduction and some red lines. I have to try again and I'll keep you posted. I have one other idea.

Last edited by glassactcc; 2010-12-04 at 9:03am.
Old 2010-12-04, 8:59am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Can't wait to see it Cynthia!
Old 2010-12-04, 3:24pm
StudioMarcy

looking forward to hearing your results

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-12-05, 7:21am

I tried and tried to make the copper black work. No luck. I even dug out my hot head and tried that. I was not able to make it work. The metallic black is great though!
Old 2010-12-05, 7:26am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hopefully Cynthia can give us some tips on the Copper!

This little guy came out of my kiln this morning. Maybe if I work a little bigger I can make little fingers and toes, that Lipstick is SO soft but I love how it keeps it's color no matter how small the application.

The NCN Medium Brown is so nice to work. It never gives me trouble, it may be my favorite brown.

Old 2010-12-05, 7:32am
StudioMarcy

he's really cute just the way he is. I use that brown a lot too. haven't tried lipstick. does it striate?

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi