Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-05, 10:51am
StudioMarcy

Houjke, it sounds like you've got it down. Come on Suzy, we're all rooting for your success!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-04-05, 11:04am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default "Devardi Copper Black"

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightforge View Post
When you try to bring out the copper color, be sure not to let the bead have or get any glow to it.. If you do you will erase any copper color you may have gotten.. I simply let the bead get cool to no glow, roll it in the flame close to the blue part of the flame, take out, let cool a second, and roll again until you get the copper color to come out.. You must let the bead cool to no glow, or the copper will not come out.. Hope this helps.. I love the coppery color that you can get..
Thank you for those points. Can you post any pics too? I am titling your post here so I can find it again when I need it!
Old 2011-04-05, 11:06am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightforge View Post
When you try to bring out the copper color, be sure not to let the bead have or get any glow to it.. If you do you will erase any copper color you may have gotten.. I simply let the bead get cool to no glow, roll it in the flame close to the blue part of the flame, take out, let cool a second, and roll again until you get the copper color to come out.. You must let the bead cool to no glow, or the copper will not come out.. Hope this helps.. I love the coppery color that you can get..
It was pretty cool when I did it. No glow as if I were going to strike a really hard to strike color.

~

Old 2011-04-05, 11:08am
sunscreen me baby

I followed Gina's advice:

In regards to the "Metallic Golden Coppery Black". First you need a torch that you can adjust the O2/Propane mix. After several different failed attempts to bring out the copper, I finally got it! First Melt your glass with an oxygen/propane mix, and shape how you like. It seems to not melt in straight propane as well. Then turn your torch to propane only, close off O2, and turn flame down very low. Let bead cool until rich black, then place back in the bluest part of the propane flame somewhat close to the torch nozzle turning slowly and the copper comes right out instantly!! It was amazing how it popped out. I tried EVERYTHING and nothing else worked so I am very happy! If others are having trouble this may help. Thanks! Gina

~

Old 2011-04-05, 11:39am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Super cool that you got it to work.. Post pics if you can..
I will try to get some torch time today or tomorrow and will post some pics..

Big Hugs, We all need them...
Old 2011-04-05, 11:51am
sunscreen me baby

?? I did NOT get it to work. But the advice I took (Gina's) is similar to what you suggested.

~

Old 2011-04-05, 12:00pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Okay, please SOMEBODY post pics of it working! I need to see what it looks like!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-04-05 at 6:24pm.
Old 2011-04-05, 4:33pm
Remember to keep smiling

Still playing with Boro. These are my first marbles and a heart sculpt made from Boro, the marbles are MK encased with Devardi's clear, heart is all Devardi.

Name:  040511heart 030.JPG
Views: 1010
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  040511heart 040.JPG
Views: 998
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  040511heart 041.JPG
Views: 970
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  040511heart 049.JPG
Views: 928
Size:  53.9 KB

SRA#P109

Last edited by PaulaP; 2011-04-05 at 4:52pm. Reason: Momak encased not effetre sorry
Old 2011-04-05, 5:22pm

Okay this doesn't have anything to do with copper black lol but here is an email I received from Natasha about the slumping and annealing temps for Devardi and also some info on the cracking issues. I do have Natasha's permission to post the email.

Thanks so much. There are two aspects to the slumping temperature of Devardi Glass: the temperature itself and the length of time held at that temperature. Softening can begin at about 1250 F for Devardi if held long enough at that temp, but will slump more rapidly as the temperature is increased from there. Quicker slumping will develop at higher temperatures, of course. We noticed also that the opaque colors tend to need higher temps to reach a slumping point as well, something to keep in mind. My suggestion is to start at close to 1300 degrees F and experiment from that point what best suits your needs.

Annealing is best kept at 970 degrees. However, higher temperatures can be used for stubborn combinations without causing the glass to slump. This is especially important when mixing with other brands. The maximum temp for annealing is 1020 degrees. I often use that temperature when I combine Devardi with brass, stainless and other metals.

Also, I wanted to address your cracking bead issue you discussed on LE. I sent you an email about it, but I have a feeling you didn't receive the email. I had trouble with some of my emails a bit ago, but I don't want you to feel I was ignoring you. Just want to let you know I did write.

The one thing I wanted to mention is that there are a number of factors that can cause cracking. Obviously, incompatibility is one. And when people have a cracking problem, they often assume it is a compatibility issue, especially when they are careful not to do other things that can lead to cracking. The point is though, most of the combinations you have tried without success, we have tested and retested successfully. Some of those we have posted on our website. The only conclusion that can be reached if this is the case is that there are other factors involved that could be leading to your cracking problem other than compatibility issues.

Let's consider this. Below is a picture of the Devardi bi-color rods we sell:

http://www.devardiglass.com/Chevron3s.JPG

All of these colors have an Op. White core. If the transparents were incompatible with Op. White, the factory would not be able to make these rods. When you make a bead with these rods, the white thoroughly mixes with the transparents, and without cracking. Again, this would indicate the Op. White is very compatible with Devardi transparents.

Because we have had success with the combinations you mention, and because these bi-color, opaque white core rods are readily available, this must lead us to conclude your cracking is caused by something else other than a compatibility issue. I would assume, as skilled as you are at lampworking, that you heat the bead properly before annealing and then immediately anneal. I think you even mentioned on LE that you do this. So it is unlikely that this is where the problem lies.

However, there is another factor involved with Devardi Glass that a lot of people overlook that can lead to cracking. People who have been lampworking for a long time with various brands of glass are often used to a particular heat setting on their torch, usually a midrange oxygen/propane mix. Two things though, one, Devardi Glass is a much cooler temperature glass (meaning it is formulated to be worked cooler) and two, it is a stiffer glass than most other brands. This stiffness can lead people to overheat the glass. People who are used to glass that flows easily often try to make Devardi Glass flow the same. This requires more heat since Devardi will not flow like say Moretti at the same temp. But to raise the heat that high can ruin some of the properties of Devardi glass, which can lead to cracking later. Of all the factors that can cause glass to crack, I would way this is the number one issue with Devardi. It is a problem since Devardi entered the scene long after people got used to working other, more pliable glass at hotter temperatures.

So the bottom line is, be very careful not to overheat the glass. You can use an Oxygen/propane setup. We do. But just cut the oxygen down so the flame is on the feathery side. If you run a Hothead type torch, be careful even with this one. It too can reach temperatures that can “scald” Devardi Glass. Work the glass with tools to shape it, rather than try to heat it to make it flow to shape. Be careful not to make it flow like Moretti and others. This is not correct for Devardi Glass. I think you will have better success with your combinations at lower temperatures. I can relate to this, because this is what I ran into when I first started with the glass myself. It took some time for me to realize I had to reduce that flame.

All in all, thank you so much for all your contributions and your kind support. Please always contact me if you have any difficulties or concerns. I am always here to help. Things have been much busier lately, but I will always get back to you and try to help if I can.

You are welcome to use any of this information on forums if you wish.

Old 2011-04-05, 6:29pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you for posting that Sonja.

I have to say that I use tools right off the bat to shape Devardi glass as I heat it. I work it as cool as I can on this Hothead... I can hold my hands/fingers on either side of the flame 2 to 3" from the flame, and that is supposedly the coolest setting without the flame going out...

So I guess the issue is working it cool to get the best results... now to figure out how to keep the color accurate!
Old 2011-04-05, 8:49pm

no luck with the coppery black tonight will keep trying GGGRRRRRR

My Etsy
Old 2011-04-05, 9:45pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

I've been working with the Devardi again. Here's a necklace, bracelet, and earrings I made a while ago. The rounds and lentils are with the pretty cranberry (with and without the aventurine in it). The focal has some dichro frit underneath and over the encasing.

These were made with a base of the gray....LOVE LOVE LOVE how easy it is to work with and the results

to get 15% off my beads

Last edited by monarae; 2011-04-05 at 9:53pm.
Old 2011-04-06, 1:20am
Hot Glass Neophyte

PAULA - awesome work! It's so exciting to finally see some boro work! Very nice.

MONA - I love how you design sets! Beautiful work!
Old 2011-04-06, 6:08am

Mona-beautiful work!
Paula-love your marbles!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 2011-04-06, 9:04am
Remember to keep smiling

Bethany & Kristina thank. I do believe once I learn to work with Boro I am really going to enjoy it but for now it sure makes me feel like a total newbie...lol

Mona those sets are beautiful. Love them.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-04-06, 9:30am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaP View Post
Bethany & Kristina thank. I do believe once I learn to work with Boro I am really going to enjoy it but for now it sure makes me feel like a total newbie...lol
Well I'm way behind the learning curve on boro! I will follow you. First I need to learn to use a Cricket (when I'm done with some Hothead projects waiting on the shelf). THEN I finally get to play with boro... so I'll enjoy watching what you do with boro and your sculpture
Old 2011-04-06, 11:26am

more butterflies from me and my first off mandrel heart

My Etsy
Old 2011-04-06, 11:59am
StudioMarcy

Audra, look at you go! are you a member of the TN Firecrackers by any chance?

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-04-06, 2:49pm

Audra-you are doing great! Keep up the good work!

I am dying to torch-you guys are really killing me! Keep up posting the pretties!
Old 2011-04-06, 6:34pm

no not a member of TN firecrackers don't know how to do that only started glass work this christmas but i would like to be.

My Etsy
Old 2011-04-06, 7:22pm
FatherNDaughter Creations

Talking Thanks for all the input

Thanks for the input Kristinia and Tweeky...

I did see where they had stated on the Devardi site that the Boro hadnt been tested with other Coe33 glass and to do at your own risk.
but figured I would ask anyhow since I wasnt sure how long they have offered the Boro on the site. I will get some and I guess well find out how it goes and I will post back what the results are..

Stephanie (my daughter) was so excited to be working with the glass. She just talks nonstop about it, all her ideas and things she wants to learn how to do.. She is a quick study so should do well with it. Only being 14 she has already suprised me with some of the stuff she has made just by messing around and using some of the techniques that I have showed her. I have a few pics as requested

She was upset when we went out the other evening and was getting right to start some more tinkering and noticed that many of her trinkits has crakced into peices. I havent setup an annealing Kiln yet as I am building one on so I can build it to my specifications and I can build one with a digital controller that will do all glass for about $350 that will have a good amout of space in the heat chamber to allow for med to larger items. I am a master electrician and a metal worker so this comes second nature to me

I told her just to keep practicing and dont worry about it, she needs to practice and get better at working the glass and seeing the awsome combinations that she can put together. She loves looking at the pics here of the items the members post. I love seeing that sparkle in her eye when she is talking about the art of it....

Thanks again everyone...
I will do a little documentary on the kiln and post the info in the appropriate section when I get it finished as well.. Here are a few pics of some of Steph little trinkits.. I have some suppies ordered for her to start playing with beads here when she comes back from her mothers. She will be so tickled...
Attached Images

Last edited by Newdodge4me; 2011-04-06 at 7:30pm. Reason: Pictures Not showing up..
Old 2011-04-06, 9:07pm
Remember to keep smiling

Stephanie how awesome I certainly can see some true talent in your pieces. Welcome to the addiction. You and your dad are so fortunate to have each other and share this experience together.

Look forward to seeing you both around LE

SRA#P109
Old 2011-04-07, 5:28am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdodge4me View Post
Thanks for the input Kristinia and Tweeky...

She was upset when we went out the other evening and was getting right to start some more tinkering and noticed that many of her trinkits has crakced into peices. I havent setup an annealing Kiln yet as I am building one on so I can build it to my specifications

Are you using the Japanese Annealing Bubbles to cool her pieces? They are better than a Fiber Blanket or Vermiculite and cost around $20 for the large Tin of them. That would make a big difference in her success rate until you get the kiln built.

Nice to see what you and she are doing! Very cool!
Old 2011-04-07, 8:17am
Oh my!

Please keep us informed about the kiln. My father has said he help me build one, but I am not really sure where to start. I do have a kiln, but the interior is 8" X 8". Great for beads and small stuff, but not so much for larger items.
Old 2011-04-07, 10:36am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Thank you for the compliments Kristina, Bethany, and Paula

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2011-04-07, 11:07am
sunscreen me baby

I throw in the towel on the copper black. I can't get anything other than black and don't know what else to try. No more impulse buys on this glass from me. (until the next time something comes along I can't resist )

~

Old 2011-04-07, 7:39pm

Got my shipment of Divardi gladd yesterday!!! I unpacked it when I got home from work this morning .. ugh... 430am... anyway. NOW i just have to be disiplined enough to use up the other misc glass I have before I use the Divardi. I have no idea who the manufacturer is etc. I got it in a box off craigs list. and tho Divardi has few compatibility issues.. well... call me paranoid. I am soooo excited!!! ill post pics as soon as i have something!
Old 2011-04-08, 5:04am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemantid View Post
Got my shipment of Divardi gladd yesterday!!! I unpacked it when I got home from work this morning .. ugh... 430am... anyway. NOW i just have to be disiplined enough to use up the other misc glass I have before I use the Divardi. I have no idea who the manufacturer is etc. I got it in a box off craigs list. and tho Divardi has few compatibility issues.. well... call me paranoid. I am soooo excited!!! ill post pics as soon as i have something!
Welcome and I sure know the excitement well! I am counting the days down until the next shipment of colors is posted. Can't wait to see your beads!
Old 2011-04-08, 8:00am
MonaRAEbeads.com

I ran out of Effetre white, and found a rod of SOP White....love the way it melts! Another melting favorite is Saffron Yellow. No one makes a color like that AND it's not shocky. Same for the gray.

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2011-04-08, 11:39am

got my shipment from Deavrdi toda YYYEEEAAAA my first dichoric can't wait to use it i got the diamond dichoric as it's supposed to be more heat resistant and I'm a newbi. And i got some of the opaque salmon what a lovely color can't wait to use it and i got some mixed pinks yea i got pink. will post some beads tommrow after my torch session tonight yea yea yea

My Etsy
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi