No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-12, 8:10pm
Loving learning

Default Frit COE, why so much 96?

I'm just curious as to the reason I see so much frit in 96, but not many people talking about using 96 rods. Does it make a more vibrant bead to do it that way? Do the 96 rods shatter better?
Just curious!
Old 2011-06-12, 8:46pm

96 is used for glass blowing and the frits are used to color the clear glass. 96 is a bit stiffer then 104. You can use 96 frit with 104, but you cannot use 104 with 96.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-06-12, 8:47pm

96 has become the US standard for hotshop furnace glass in the last 40 years. Nothing to do with torchworking.
Old 2011-06-12, 8:49pm

I use 96 for torchworking. Mostly 104 but 96 frit and rod. They have some amazing colors.

Old 2011-06-12, 8:52pm
Loving learning

Interesting, thank you!
Old 2011-06-12, 9:10pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I love using 96. The transparents especially seem more dense and color saturated to me.

Old 2011-06-12, 9:10pm

Yes Astrid, I think they are too.

Old 2011-06-12, 9:21pm

Actually Cynthia is right, mostly all of the top lampworkers (as she is one of them) use 96 as their accent glass in their paperweights and a good majority of their color period.
Old 2011-06-12, 9:25pm

Aw thank you Mike. What a sweet thing to say

Old 2011-06-12, 9:58pm
Unmedicated since '62

It's because furnace glass is more concentrated colour - have you ever made frit from 104? It seems kinda wishy washy

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-06-12, 10:27pm

Yes it's not the same. I love 96 Frits. I call it the original silver glass. The reduction colors are amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
It's because furnace glass is more concentrated colour - have you ever made frit from 104? It seems kinda wishy washy

Old 2011-06-12, 10:38pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I'm just curious as to the reason I see so much frit in 96, but not many people talking about using 96 rods. Does it make a more vibrant bead to do it that way? Do the 96 rods shatter better?
Just curious!

96 COE has lead in it. It is much more color saturated so is very desirable as frit, you can swirl, stretch , pull it and it stays colorful. Because of the lead content it will lay nicely on top of 104 COE adhering to the 5-15% rule.

Here is a good thread for reading:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178488
Old 2011-06-13, 7:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post
I love using 96. The transparents especially seem more dense and color saturated to me.
They are made to be denser. They are intended to be applied to a bubble and then blown out relatively thin and that way they retain their color. Funny...I have been working with 96 color for years and I kinda prefer the color palette of Boro
Old 2011-06-13, 7:52am

But more and more you can find fritblends in COE 104, like here:
https://ssl.kundenserver.de/s3599382...iew.shopscript

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2011-06-13, 9:25am
Loving learning

Thanks all. I have marked the links to read.
I have a stash of sheet 96 from fusing, and lots of bitty pieces I couldn't bear to toss, so maybe I'll try making some of my own too.
Old 2011-06-13, 9:27am

You can also cut think strips of the larger pieces and make beads with it. That is how I started out.

Old 2011-06-13, 9:31am
Loving learning

I keep meaning to cut some clear into strips to use with the few colors of rods I bought to make designs on the fused pieces, thanks for the reminder! I'm not sure how, but I need to organize my "mean to do" projects so they don't get forgotten.
Old 2011-06-14, 1:01am
Ad astra per aspera

Just another happy word for 96 COE glass. I LOVE IT!!!! It's all Val Cox's fault, for introducing the frits and then her fabulous hand-pulled colors 6-ish years ago. I still have a fine stash of her colors, some of Gail Joseph's (GGGlass), some Caliente and Pi Glass (now sadly gone), and of course a bunch of Uroboros and Kugler. It's a fabulous palette to work, with a lot of interesting choices. I still use 104, but switch back and forth regularly.

Old 2011-06-14, 5:44am

I love posts like this....

Old 2011-06-14, 5:53am

I have a nice stash of 96 now, but the color saturation is actually a problem for me - I guess I need to layer it on light colors? The first thing I tried to do was make some Iris Green discs, but they just look black. I do love the reduction, and it is less expensive than a lot of other reduction glass.

I was gifted a rod of some light honey colored stuff that reduced to the most beautiful light gold. I wish I knew what it was. I used up the last of that stringer last year.
Old 2011-06-14, 5:54am

Hi Kathy!
Might have been Iris Gold by Reichenbach.

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2011-06-14, 5:55am

Thanks Verena! I believe I ordered some of that, so I will check it out.
Old 2011-06-14, 6:07am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
I have a nice stash of 96 now, but the color saturation is actually a problem for me - I guess I need to layer it on light colors? The first thing I tried to do was make some Iris Green discs, but they just look black. I do love the reduction, and it is less expensive than a lot of other reduction glass.

I was gifted a rod of some light honey colored stuff that reduced to the most beautiful light gold. I wish I knew what it was. I used up the last of that stringer last year.
Absolutely. You can also thin it out with clear.

Old 2011-06-14, 6:43am

Thanks Shawnette.