Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-10-29, 9:27pm
Senior Moment

Default I need another suggestion for marking my rods!

Quick background. So I normally attach Avery stickers to my rods for ID. Every once in a while I come across rods that they just won't stick to, and so I mark those with a Sharpie.

Well, I ordered a lb of Vetrofond Light Ivory, and the stickers won't stick to the rods. Thing is, they are 2-3mm thick, which means if I use a Sharpie, I have to somehow manage to write Vetrofond Light Ivory, on this narrow curved space, around 50 times. Not happening LOL that's a bit much for me.

So? Any other ideas? I'm a bit obsessive about making sure my rods are marked, and the thought of not doing that drives me nuts.

Ali

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-10-29, 9:58pm

I paint similar colors, easily mistakable for each other, with different colors of nail polish on the flat end of one side. I cover the one labeled rod's label with tape, so that it is sure to survive. This way, if I want to know what a rod is, I match it to a similar colored rod with the same nail polish on the end, and see what the tagged rod of that lot is labeled.

It's not a perfect system, but it works ok and doesn't take too terribly long.
Old 2014-10-30, 5:08am
flight risk

I use masking tape to label my rods. Sometimes it doesn't stick, so I use another piece of tape to wrap around the rod- so the tape is sticking to itself instead of to the rod. Maybe you could do that with the labels?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-10-30, 5:23am

So I'm confessing my anal-retentiveness here...

I use Avery labels that have the "removable" stickiness and print labels on my printer. I cut them into thin strips and fold them in a flag-like manner. They stick really well to themselves, but not so much to the glass. When when I'm ready to use the whole rod (short) the label slides off and doesn't leave any stickiness behind. I often end up removing the label when it's at risk of the flame - and usually while I'm making a bead.

The pic shows a label on a stringer, but I use the same method / size on all my rods.

You could also write on the labels instead of printing if you like...

Hope that helps...

"I'd rather have glassy friends than classy friends."
Old 2014-10-30, 5:46am

I have some non-sticky rods and the labels work ok if I attach them like Michele's - if they're wrapped round tightly enough they don't tend to slide off until you remove them yourself.

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-10-30, 6:15am
Peerless Thread Killer

Pilot extra-fine point silver ink pen. It shows up on all colors, opaque and transparent, and when you are down to the nub, fuse it to a full rod of the same color.

Old 2014-10-30, 6:32am
Loving learning

For that particular color and being so slender, maybe you could just put some bands around one end, and know that it is that glass? Say 3 bands, either all the same or different colors of ink?
Old 2014-10-30, 6:33am
Loving learning

I have also used clear regular tape on top of labels before, because it sticks better. Just let it hang off the paper label a bit so it touches the rod, but also covers most of the paper.
Old 2014-10-30, 6:40am
A True Woofer

You could make a small lollipop on the end of each rod and write VLI on that space.

Old 2014-10-30, 7:32am

Perhaps a diamond pen? Etch a referance number or the name on your rods.

Old 2014-10-30, 7:38am
I fart diamonds

I just put the color numbers, unless it's something odd, and I write lengthwise on the rod. In this case, it would be V264. (Silver or gold Sharpie.)

Lol. Guess I should have read the entire post. For multiples, use return address labels that you can print on your computer.

Old 2014-10-30, 10:56am

Some rods come with that...what is that stuff??? Kinda greasy feeling. I just squirt some alcohol into a paper towel and wipe off that end real quick and proceed with the labels.

Old 2014-10-30, 3:09pm

I do the same as Bec. Clean the spot and I use label maker to tag it.
Old 2014-10-30, 4:32pm
Senior Moment

Ding ding ding we have a winnah! Normally, when the rods have something on them I can feel it. But these felt ok; despite that apparently there is something on these rods. Cleaned one off and BOOM; sticker stayed on no problem. You rock Bec, Pat!

Guess I'm going to have to clean my rods when I get them, instead of when I go to use them *sigh*

And a quick, shitty pic of a 5mm rod, the rod I cleaned with the sticking, erm, sticker, and an unclean one with the sticker falling off (you can see how skinny they are! No way I was writing on those; I've already had carpal tunnel surgery once):

Name:  IMG_8064-001.JPG
Views: 852
Size:  76.4 KB

Thanx everyone

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-10-30, 5:19pm
Loving learning

Aha, I always keep a bottle of alcohol there & do the wipe automatically, so it didn't even dawn on me that they had the film on them, I thought maybe there were some of the kind of dull rough ones.
Old 2014-10-30, 9:36pm

I use sharpies-black and silver.
Old 2014-10-30, 11:32pm
Melody of Glass

If you print vertically rather than horizontally on the labels, you don't overlap the print with the other end of the label on the small rods.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-10-31, 6:17am

[quote=dusty;4669289]I paint similar colors, easily mistakable for each other, with different colors of nail polish on the flat end of one side. I cover the one labeled rod's label with tape, so that it is sure to survive. This way, if I want to know what a rod is, I match it to a similar colored rod with the same nail polish on the end, and see what the tagged rod of that lot is labeled.

I *love* this idea! I just bought ivory and dark ivory stringers, and this will work perfectly! Thanks so much for sharing
Old 2014-10-31, 8:04pm

I see that you have found a good solution, but here is my trick: there is a pink tape that beauty supply stores sell, it's for taping your hair in place. Many many moons ago I did this with my hair and that's how I discovered the hair tape. What I like most about it is the complete lack of gooeyness left behind on the rod when I take the tape off.

--Helene
Old 2014-11-01, 4:20am
Melody of Glass

Now I'm fascinated with hair tape. How and why does one tape hair? Why does pink tape not show when in hair? (Unless you are Kay!)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-11-01, 6:51am
dances with ideas...

(Or Mallory!) I'm curious too.

Some great suggestions in this thread, thanks!

Old 2014-11-01, 7:39am

I used to keep a chip chart in a notebook. Each cubby had a small finished bead and a small piece of rod witha melted end.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2014-11-05 at 8:58am.
Old 2014-11-01, 9:49am
Lover of all things color

How amazing that there are so many ways to label beads. I'm one of the "A" types so I finally broke down and got a P-touch labe-ler. It works, connects to my laptop through USB and I can design the little label to be small yet legible.

I use to use the Avery labels and found that some didn't stick. Now I know why. Thanks for all the great ideas.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2014-11-05, 6:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
How amazing that there are so many ways to label beads. I'm one of the "A" types so I finally broke down and got a P-touch labe-ler. It works, connects to my laptop through USB and I can design the little label to be small yet legible.

I use to use the Avery labels and found that some didn't stick. Now I know why. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Great! I found it worked for me too!

~
~
~
~
Old 2014-11-05, 8:59am

How about an elastic band and then put the label on the band. It willbe ok until the band wears out~~

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-11-05, 1:31pm

electrical tape..............

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2014-11-06, 11:12am
Glass-aholic

I love using colored electrical tape. And fine point sharpie. The different colors are nice for different coe's or just cordinates, or just for fun. It comes off easy enough, stays on forever and holds the sharpie very well. I usually take a plastic board roll out a line write what it is, and then take a razor blade or exacto knife and slice it on the board. Then peel and stick. I picked up a few rolls of a bright yellow at a surplus store for a dollar I think. Just don't go to Home Depot for colors.. They are stupidly pricy......... Like 10 bucks! Lol

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-11-06, 2:48pm

So where the heck did you get vetro lt ivory?
Old 2014-11-07, 11:58am

Julieann.....can you check your pm box? Thanks.

Old 2014-11-08, 1:19am
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
Now I'm fascinated with hair tape. How and why does one tape hair? Why does pink tape not show when in hair? (Unless you are Kay!)
Actually it would show, it's a very pale pink tape. My hair is a very bright pink. But if I really wanted it to show, I'd have to use Painters tape, or Frog tape.

When I was much younger, my mom used to use hair tape when she would cut her bangs to make sure she cut them straight. Sometimes she would tape a small lock of hair into a curl while it dried.

I've also known people who use it as bandage tape. It's very gentle on skin and doesn't pull as much when you take it off.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)