No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-28, 2:34pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default silver necklace for illusion necklaces

Is there a fine snake chain necklace out there that would have one end that you could add, but be fine enoufh to fit beads. In other words, I make illusion necklaces where beads are just placed here and there with crimps. Using wire on these sucks, it bends, gets tangled etc. These are one of my biggest sellers and need to figure out how to do it.....I dont want to have to use large hole beads, would prefer it to fit a four mm crystal, but would at least go with something that would fit a 6mm crystal hole as I use these for embellishments. Thinking just fine snake chain with some type of way to attach ends to it. I dont know what you would even look for in shops. any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Last edited by dragonfly designs 56; 2010-08-28 at 2:36pm.
Old 2010-08-28, 8:09pm

Try the silver plated soft flex - works very well for this. I don't think you'll get a fine enough chain to fit through a crystal, and if you do, it will have it's own problems (like breakage and kinking on its own.)
Old 2010-08-28, 11:07pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

dang, didnt even think of that,,,Ok, guess I will just have to figure out how to best package them at a show and keep them seperated while transporting them...tissue paper I guess....they have to stay flat... People get quite pissy when I tell them they cant put it in a bag that it will ruin the wires...Oh, you said silver plated, i thought you meant the silver colored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karin View Post
Try the silver plated soft flex - works very well for this. I don't think you'll get a fine enough chain to fit through a crystal, and if you do, it will have it's own problems (like breakage and kinking on its own.)

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-08-29, 6:19am
ID10T Problem Solver

I really like the sterling silver Soft Flex.

Sterling Silver Soft Flex Stringing Material

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2010-09-02, 9:37am

Hi Kelly,
Just an idea, I have been using friction clasps from Rio Grande a lot. They work great. The smallest one they make is a 1mm ID, I use sterling silver beading chain with it that's 0.9mm and you can either glue or solder the chain inside the clasp. I might still be too big for small crystals but they work really good with anything that has a slightly bigger hole than 1mm obviously.

Hope this helps
yaz
Old 2010-09-02, 1:00pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Yes, I have this necklace in silver as well, but I dont' know what to call the chain. I got it from the bead store down town Toronto--at least you know it exists now...
Swarovskis fit on it...(not the tiny ones, but larger ones)

Last edited by ellyloo; 2010-09-02 at 1:02pm.
Old 2010-09-02, 1:04pm
Experimentalist

What holds the beads in place?

Old 2010-09-02, 1:58pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Oh Ellyloo, I love this chain.
No idea what it was called or maybe you still have the spool laying around somewhere?
I've never seen anything like it in our bead stores here

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-09-02, 4:37pm
Flame On!

If you go to LottaDisplays.com, they have the neatest super skinny cable with a tiny screw off end. I can put beads made on a 3/32 on them with no problem. They are super inexpensive, too.

Old 2010-09-02, 4:40pm
Flame On!

Oops, don't go to lottadisplays, lol. Useless info- I don't think crystals will go over the end.

Old 2010-09-02, 8:40pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

I"ll visit my bead store this weekend and see what it's called.

Old 2010-09-02, 8:53pm
fritaholic

Is it foxtail, or is foxtail wider?

Lisa
Old 2010-09-03, 5:12pm

This a new vendor. Product USA made ... she is located in NJ. Met her at Bead Fest Philly. I bought three packs of the Argentium ... haven't tried it yet for myself ... but she makes her own illusion jewelry with it.

http://www.silversilkonline.com/

Old 2010-09-04, 6:13am
Ellyloo-YAH!

ohhhh... beautiful!!!