Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-05-29, 3:43pm
The Venerable Bead

Default What's that tool called?

I'm at a weekend craft show and a fellow boro peep came by to say hi. long story short he's looking for a way to make precise dots for implosion. I told him practice but i remembered that some people use that planting tool with the metal spikes to make precise indents on the top of a maria and then fume or cover with color. He had no idea what I was talking about and i don't know what that tool is called. i think it's used for dried flowers? anyone know what it's called? it has a round base and thin metal spikes about 2 inches long sticking up from it. he got really excited when i explained what it could do but then how do you search for something like that without a name. lol. thanks for any help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Paula AKA The Venerable Bead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2010-05-29, 3:45pm
product of the universe

vin pin http://artcoinc.com/wi_vin_pins.php

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-05-29, 3:51pm
ID10T Problem Solver

or

Indent Tool

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2010-05-29, 3:53pm
ManBearPig

Or flower frog. Like $3 from Michael's.

However, if you use one of the tools mentioned in this thread it will leave a bubble everywhere the glass touches it...

Old 2010-05-29, 5:14pm

on flower frogs sometimes the base melts ... I got a couple of expensive Japanese ones when i was there ... fantastic for Ikebana, but you put hot glass on one of those, you end up with a puddle of molten metal and glass full of pins.
Better to go with a purpose made tool imho. The Vin Pin allows you to change the pattern, I'd be going for that, coz it's more versatile.

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2010-05-30, 3:30pm
ManBearPig

I can't imagine how much hot glass you'd need to use to melt the base on one of those. I have used mine for about an hour straight making pendant after pendant, and the base is still cool enough to pick up and move after using...

Old 2010-05-30, 4:59pm

Not that much, about 1.5 inches diameter. When it melted, the base looked like solder, I guess it was some kind of soft low melt lead/tin alloy maybe they were even made of solder ... it's a heavy enough compound for flower frogs and would explain the speed it melted at ... dunno, it didn't take much. I've had other ones from a cheap ass $2 shop and they were fine.

Running a

Last edited by wickedglass; 2010-05-30 at 5:12pm.
Old 2010-05-30, 5:01pm
tweetysweetie

Wicked, what is Ikebana? And I can see the situation you describe if you were trying to indent soft glass. I have a vin pin and several Michaels flower frogs that I use, but I do them in boro, a quick press is all you need to indent enough to create a bubble once you cover the holes.

Old 2010-05-30, 5:04pm

Ikebana is the Japanese art of flower arranging

Running a
Old 2010-05-30, 5:26pm
tweetysweetie

Thanks, for the quick reply/info.

Old 2010-05-30, 6:11pm
The Venerable Bead

thank you !!!!

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2010-05-30, 7:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Get the flower frogs with an iron or brass base - some have aluminum or zinc bases and they will melt.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-03, 7:03pm

Got my floral frog from Michaels - green metal base with brass colored spikes
Old 2010-06-03, 7:40pm
Dakine glass man

I have used both.....I LOVE my Vin-pin, but the flower frog works fine too. However If you want to do symetrical flower implosions removing pins from the vin pin so you have only a few pins in spots where petals should start and end provides a really nice template for quick and easy symitry. Make your maria first and then heat slightly and press centered on the pin.

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2010-06-03, 7:42pm
Dakine glass man

http://www.ezpots.com/PINFROG.html

cheap source for pin frogs.....get the stainless

Lampwork by John Lindquist