Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-09-05, 8:43am

Default silver lined beads

I have been looking into lining beads with silver.

I would love to hear feedback on the tools and how they work.
Here is the first one by Jim Moore.

http://toolsforglass.com/catalogs/info_beadpress.html

Here is the second option from retro glass

http://www.retroglasstools.com/

If you have tried either of these tools, I would love feedback on them.

Also if anyone has found other tools to create the lined beads fast!

Thank you!!!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2007-09-06, 10:31am
Peerless Thread Killer

I have seen the retroglass tool in action, and was not impressed. It is packaged very prettily, but did not seem to do the job easily. There was too much silver tubing sticking out from the ends when it was finished. Whether or not this was user error I am not sure, but the person using it was a master beadmaker, and couldn't get it to work correctly.

Just my opinion.

Old 2007-09-06, 11:58am
I'm a lilac!

I've just been using a dapping set and it goes pretty fast... I am considering the Jim Moore tool though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-09-06, 2:41pm

Thank you! Good advice so far.

I hope someone with the Jim moore tool will check in....

Old 2007-09-06, 2:43pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I've been doing it by hand with a dapping set also and it goes pretty quickly.
Old 2007-09-06, 3:40pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Default Silver lined bead tangent....

Since I read this topic, I have been wondering about trying to line some beads I have with silver. Any recommendations for a good tubing source?

Old 2007-09-06, 5:58pm

I was going to check with Rio?

Any place else?

Old 2007-09-06, 6:29pm

Hi! I would love to silver line my beads, also. I posted a question in "safety" and haven't heard anything back yet - maybe one of you knows? After researching online, I learned I need to heat up the silver with a butane torch. Do you know if it gives off harmful gases? Would the ventilation in a lampwork studio be sufficient for this? Another thing I'm stuck on also - how do you determine what size tubing to get? I'm using 5/32" mandrels, but can't seem to find matching tubing. Is there a standard way to figure out what size to order?

Thank you!!
Heather

Heather

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." - George Bernard Shaw

Old 2007-09-06, 7:34pm

HI I get my tubing from Rio they have a nice selection and have also tried Metaliferous. The easy way to figure out what size tubing to use is to make some beads with different sizes of mandrels and measure the hole. The tubing should slide easily into the hole but not too loose or you will have to flare the tubing a lot more. There is no reason to heat (anneal) the silver tubing for lining beads and heating the tubing will not create harmful gasses but the torch does. A good ventilation system is a good idea any time you light a torch. Good Luck Jim Moore
Old 2007-09-07, 5:06am

Wouldn't it be wonderfullllllll if you could buy some tubing in the correct size for the mandrels we most often use from whom ever we get the tools? It would be so much easyer for those of us that slept through math class .
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2007-09-07, 10:50am

OMG! I'm with ya!! I just stare at the tubing sizes dumbfounded. I can't for the life of me do the math to figure out which tube size is close to my mandrel size. I kinda just assumed that the sizes were standard and the tubes would match the madrels. I'll have to blow the dust off my calculator.

Heather

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." - George Bernard Shaw

Old 2007-09-07, 10:56am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

the outside of your mandrel and the inside of your bead are not the same thing . Due to the bead release, your bead is bigger. You need to buy some cheap calipers or lay your bead down on a ruler and measure the inside of your bead. The outside diameter (OD) of the silver tube needs to be slightly (very slightly) smaller than the inside diameter (ID) of your bead.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-09-07, 1:18pm

I use Jim Moore's riveting machine all the time and this is also the one I use to teach with in my Masters Classes!!!!! It is very easy to use.

Andrea

Old 2007-09-07, 3:25pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Default silver tubing

I tried looking in Rio online, but they had no tubing. At least they had nothing under "silver tubing." Do they call it something else?
Thanks

Old 2007-09-07, 4:44pm

Hi Heather!
I took Andrea's master class a couple of weeks ago and we used Jim Moore's press in the class. I could not believe how easy it was to use, that after using it.... I knew that was the one I wanted!!! I just received my press yesterday and can't wait to use it this weekend!!!!
Old 2007-09-07, 5:59pm
Burning through glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by neagle View Post
I tried looking in Rio online, but they had no tubing. At least they had nothing under "silver tubing." Do they call it something else?
Thanks
It's a pain in the neck, but all their stuff is in their catalog. They have WAY more stuff there than online. If you haven't already, give them a call to get a catalog sent to you. They only sell "to the trade", so you have to tell them you're a beadmaker, and jeweler.
Renee
JetAge Studio

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2007-09-07, 9:06pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetAge Studio View Post
They only sell "to the trade", so you have to tell them you're a beadmaker, and jeweler.
Renee
JetAge Studio
I've never had trouble ordering supplies from Rio Grande. I've ordered silver wire and other silver findings and they've never told me that they wouldn't sell to me because I wasn't in the trade.

Will they only sell tubing to people in the trade?

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2007-09-07, 10:02pm
as in the state

I never had an issue with ordering from them. They sent me the catalog after i paid them the $10 for it, and then when I wanted to order, the only thing they required was the customer # from it. I never had them ask for any sort of proof that I was in the trade. They didnt even ask what I wanted to do with the stuff!

-Amy
Old 2007-09-08, 7:54am
Peerless Thread Killer

Default silver tubing

Thanks everyone. I have ordered from Rio for years and do have their catalog. Was just being lazy and looking online instead of in the book. I can call them-they are very helpful.

Old 2007-09-08, 3:52pm
I speak Murrini!

I like Rio, of course, but you might want to check these guys out, too! The price is a bit higher (not much) but the tube is sold by weight and, hence, there is no minimum (such as the "sold per foot") you find at Rio. Great for beginners, or those who just want to give this a try...you aren't obligated to buy a foot of each size.

http://www.silversupplies.com/catalo...r/tubing.shtml

Thanks for sharing in this thread - I love looking at other people's work!

Regards from CA,
DeAnne

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2007-09-09, 8:46am
Larissa Spafford Designs

Smile

I have been using Jim Moore's riviting press for a few months now and LOVE it. I have done riviting by hand and the press is WAY easier, faster and less broken beads. I laughed the first time I used it because it was so easy. Basically it rocks! I get my tubing from Rio and have never had any problems at all.
Old 2007-09-09, 2:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by larissa View Post
I have been using Jim Moore's riviting press for a few months now and LOVE it. I have done riviting by hand and the press is WAY easier, faster and less broken beads. I laughed the first time I used it because it was so easy. Basically it rocks! I get my tubing from Rio and have never had any problems at all.
Hi Larissa!!!!!!!!!!

Old 2007-09-11, 11:59am

http://www.metalliferous.com/pdf/sil...und%20Tube.pdf
Old 2007-09-11, 12:17pm
make beads not war

Can you line any size hole with the Jim Moore tool or is it limited? I love how it lays on the bead!
Old 2007-09-11, 3:32pm
just plain silly

I put in a web search for Jim Moore Tools and can't seem to find who has that riveting machine.

Suzanne
Old 2007-09-11, 5:27pm
Ezzy

Default Tubing Sizes

Oh you guys are so lucky I'm a packrat and I have my emails from January when I was having some discussion with the Retro Tool Liner people. I didn't end up buying the tool but they did tell me the sizes of tubing that they use.

> Thanks for your question and it is very good to do reserch b4 any purchase. We could sell you the liners, however, it would be cheaper for you to buy from the www.metalliferous.com. Here are the sizes and part #'s for silver tubing:
>
> 3/32 mandrel made beads 2.28mm Part # STB403
> 1/8 mandrel made beads 3.27mm Part # SI8473
> 5/32 mandrel made beads 4.06mm Part # SI8474
> 3/16 mandrel made beads 4.8mm Part # SI8475
>
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-09-11, 6:19pm

I just bought the bead liner tool from Retro Tools, and so far I like it. I just happened to have some smaller sized tubing on hand and have been able to play with it a bit. I agree that the ends so far don't finish off as flush as I'd like straight from the tool, but a couple of taps with my jewelers hammer (with the rounded end) and they're perfect. I also found the tubing sizes mentioned on Retro's website for the smaller sized bits matches perfectly with the tubing sizes mentioned on the Metalliferous website, while it doesn't match quite right with what is mentioned in the Rio Grande catalog (my math sucks, too). I did post a question earlier in the Customer Service Kiosk asking what size tubing I should purchase for the 3 larger bits, as I bought those as well (you can put tubing in beads with holes as large as 1/2" if you buy the extra bits).
Old 2007-09-11, 6:24pm

Hi I am the only one selling my press unless you happen to take a class from Andrea. If you go to my website toolsforglass.com the press is in the store under BEAD TOOLS, it is the first tool listed.
Old 2007-09-11, 6:56pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Andrea,
Those beads look amazing! Will you be coming back to Glasscraft to teach your Master's class next year?

Old 2007-09-11, 7:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore Tools View Post
Hi I am the only one selling my press unless you happen to take a class from Andrea. If you go to my website toolsforglass.com the press is in the store under BEAD TOOLS, it is the first tool listed.
Hi Jim! I love my new press!!!!!

Rebecca