Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Is your favorite tool specifically made for Lampwork or have "MacGyvered" one?
Store Purchased 219 67.18%
Handmade, baby! 95 29.14%
Tools? I don't use no stinkin' tools! 7 2.15%
I'm not telling you! 5 1.53%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-05-29, 11:27am
old person/new member

hmmm...ventilation is another thing altogether I think.
I think that the flare from an oxy propane or mapp gas torch would probably not cause damage instantly. I could be wrong about this- does anyone have any facts on whether the damage is immediate?

Do all organizations who offer lampwork classes provide dydidium glasses? I have only been to one venue so I am no authority on this at all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-05-29, 12:23pm
Storm Queen

I guess I look at it this way, a teacher should teach by setting a good example. Not "do as I say, not as we're doing here in class". I may be in the minority though, and that's ok.

Old 2009-05-29, 2:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy at the Beach View Post
hmmm...ventilation is another thing altogether I think.
I think that the flare from an oxy propane or mapp gas torch would probably not cause damage instantly. I could be wrong about this- does anyone have any facts on whether the damage is immediate?

Do all organizations who offer lampwork classes provide dydidium glasses? I have only been to one venue so I am no authority on this at all!
James Kervin's book "More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Glass Beadmaking" has one of the better chapters on safety (many books have none...), and has the most detail information I've seen about how various wavelengths of light affect eye health.

The biggest threat to the eye is flying bits of glass (like from shocky glass), so safety glasses are better than nothing at all. The sodium flare emitted by soda lime glass can cause eye fatigue quickly, but the bigger concerns are the invisible UV and IR bands. Garden variety safety glasses do not filter IR. They will attenuate some bands of UV to a degree, but not all of the bands that can cause eye health problems. Cataracts and the development of pterygium are two conditions Kervin's book mentions. The damage starts with exposure and is cumulative.

So, are you at risk after only a few days?

The problem with any answer is that there is no one-size fits all. Some folks may have a genetic predisposition or medical condition, for example, that may make relatively small amounts of exposure a potential risk. The other problem is knowing what your exposure really is: incident UV and IR energy is proportional to the square of the distance from your eye to the source. If you're a shorter person, you will experience far more irradiation than someone who is taller and can work farther away from the flame and the piece. Few people even know to take very important 'personal physics' like this into account.

While I'm glad to see that safety is gaining greater emphasis at classes, I have to side with Amy. I personally think it's irresponsible for someone to teach a class, or hold classes in their studio, without ensuring that all students have didymiums at a minimum. Many of the better artist/instructors will not teach at a studio unless the right eyewear (such as didymiums) and ventilation is available.

You only have one set of eyes....and if you go blind, you can't torch....

Needless to say, my favorite tools are my AUR92's, my AUR bench shield (I use both at the same time), my Fantech ventilation fan and my ear plugs. I also use my brass marver, non-serrated tweezers of all kinds, and Zoozii and Catwalk presses regularly.

Linda
Old 2009-05-29, 3:44pm
old person/new member

Thanks Linda. That makes sense. I do think there are likely many classes that do not provide didymiums ... Maybe the one I was in is the minority- but somehow I doubt it.

Old 2009-05-29, 3:54pm
Storm Queen

Thanks for such an informative response Linda.

Old 2009-05-30, 4:29am
organically speaking

OMG! No glasses? How?
I went to a glass event recently and forgot my glasses but didn't have time to drive the hour home and get them before the demo I wanted to watch. So I watched it. It was a boro demo and took almost 2 hours. I wore my sunglasses for part of the time and took several breaks from viewing but my eyes were still burning by the end.
Maybe I just have super-sensitive eyes, but I can't imagine being able to sit through an entire class without my didymiums.

My favorite tools? My dad is a tool- and die- maker, so he whips me up all kinds of things. But my favorite tool is probably my exacto knife. Simplest can be best, sometimes.

Old 2009-05-30, 4:36am
Cherine Perrin Glass

My new favorite is the Cylinder Shaper from Arrow Springs. I use it for tube beads, bicones, barrels and it makes shaping ends really easy!

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2009-05-30, 4:41am
organically speaking

Oh, I forgot. I also love my cuticle scissors. They're tiny and awesome and I use them constantly.

Old 2009-06-04, 9:16pm

Hands down my Brass Stump Shaper is most used. I also like my Jim Moore Large Lentil Tongs. I have tried and use many tools found in my kitchen and else where. But they often stick to the glass or discolor. Brass tools rock. I also have a set of the little mini shapers....I can't remember who I got them from.....a set of three, with six ends. All brass. If it is brass I will like it.

Old 2009-08-31, 8:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Crazy View Post
My new favorite is the Cylinder Shaper from Arrow Springs. I use it for tube beads, bicones, barrels and it makes shaping ends really easy!
I like this, but I would like to see it in brass. Actually thinking about it...I would like a tool with just one of the end parts.

Old 2009-08-31, 9:11am

stainless anything!
Old 2009-10-28, 11:49am

Uncle Al's Rod Grabber- It has saved my fingers so many times...
I use my Stump Shaper all the time.
Old 2009-10-29, 5:30am
Smooches!

I love that Uncle Al's rod grabber too. I use every rod down to about 1/4".

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2010-01-22, 5:26am
BeadsonCypress

My new bead roller!!! Super!!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-01-22, 10:01am
No Problem!

My little extra pointy tweezers are probably the biggest multi-tasker and also THE tool I can't really work without.
Remove tiny bits,doing pinches for wings and fins etc, opening tiny holes, grabbing little objects with loops and holes while removing the punty. The one tool I can guarantee has touched every one of my beads and pendants at least once.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2010-01-23, 6:51am
Jamaican Me Crazy

Ive incorporated my wood carving set (gouges) into my arsenal of tools along with my chisels. They work great
Pete

Last edited by woodywood143; 2010-01-23 at 6:52am. Reason: add
Old 2011-02-19, 9:22am
Burnt Wood Beads

Favorite tool is a "clam shucker" bought at walmart for about 3.00....SS, wood handle, long, beveled edges....nice flat center...love it!

Other than that...the Beararts (?) beadroller!

Old 2011-02-19, 12:37pm
one day at a time

Smircich tail stock holder. I don't make a bead without one...ever! But I wore mine out, so this past year I made one out of boro. A tip from Brent aka Mr. Smiley.
Old 2011-02-19, 8:00pm

Squeezes are my favorite tool. I like using Zoozii's XL SSL, kalera long & lean, and the Word Press base ... not with any specific amount of glass, just to give the squeezed surface different angles. I just like the way those flattened beads feel.

Old 2011-02-19, 8:28pm

This is my favorite right now, it's the ultimate utility knife. I use it for shaping hearts pushing glass, making the butt on a heart.

It's toward the bottom of the page.
http://www.howacoglass.com/tools.html

Regarding the didys, I thought for 104 glass that the didys were more for comfort and so you could see the glass better than for protection (I think I read that somewhere but I am not sure where). It seems I was misinformed. I have never taken a class though.
Old 2011-02-19, 11:54pm
Redbearmountain

My absolute favorite tool is my electrical mandrel spinner by Scott Bouwen and his rolling marvers and all his tools. My other favorite tool is Donna's bead rollers they work so awesome with Scott's EMS. What a dynomite combination these tools have been for me.

Old 2011-02-21, 1:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbearmountain View Post
My absolute favorite tool is my electrical mandrel spinner by Scott Bouwen and his rolling marvers and all his tools. My other favorite tool is Donna's bead rollers they work so awesome with Scott's EMS. What a dynomite combination these tools have been for me.
This!!!

Old 2011-10-14, 6:52am
It's about having fun!

I "MacGyvered" a tool that puts a hole in hot glass! One step! It's cool enough I'm going to share, tutorial is in the works ;c)
Other than that tool, a butter knife!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-10-14, 9:42pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Ok, I have, love, and use all the standards (marver, presses, and most often used exacto knife) but the craziest investment was a Japanese Cheese Knife.

Now, I don't believe that Japan is a big cheese producing country, but they produced this way bitchin cheese knifey shaped thing with stainless steel and the perfect shape -almost like an aspen leaf shape- and it has a previously well loved smooth wooden handle.

My eyes lit up in delight and my checkbook was whippin out for the damages, until I looked at the price, smiled sheepishly, and put my checkbook back. My total for this whirlwind moment? 25 cents..... This puppy smooths encasing and is just too too cute.

My other favorite tools are the wonderful gifts of words of encouragement, wisdom and support from all the neato people I've met here on LE! The actual merchandise also sent as surprises and RAOGK have popped my socks off too.

Smiles, Sheri

Old 2011-10-21, 3:17pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Other than a set of Infinite rim molds and my torch I make or made all the tools I use on a regular basis. Diamond shears and rod nippers are the only other tools I have on the bench.
Old 2011-10-26, 5:17am
Glassbeadlady

My favourite tool is a "stamp lifter". It looks like a miniature spatula and is the size of a dental pick. I use it constantly. Price $1.00.
Old 2012-02-13, 9:03am
Sith Lord

wow, surprised no one seems to like reamers, I do a lot of flaring and love graphite reamers for the purpose

I save everyone one I break so I have a nice collection of tapers and sizes , I keep about 10 on my desk for anything that arises
Old 2012-02-13, 10:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousky View Post
I like this, but I would like to see it in brass. Actually thinking about it...I would like a tool with just one of the end parts.
Something like this?

http://retroglasstools.com/types.aspx

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2012-02-13, 3:58pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassbeadlady View Post
My favourite tool is a "stamp lifter". It looks like a miniature spatula and is the size of a dental pick. I use it constantly. Price $1.00.
What do you do with it?

Old 2012-02-14, 7:51am
Peerless Thread Killer

I made a tool I am so proud of! I took an old 1/16" mandrel that was bent a bit-not too bad, just couldn't use it for beads anymore. I heated the mandrel at the torch until it was cherry red-about 2-3 inches. I quenched it, and bent it into a spiral, then about 3 inches above I bent it into a 90 degree angle. Ta-da! I can make spiral impression in hot glass! I couldn't afford the brass spiral stamps I wanted, but now I don't need to buy one. I'll try to take a pic and post later.