Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-20, 6:42am
Isinglass Design

I just got my first press from the garage sale. It's a zoozii's pillow trio. I love it, but also want to get rid of it because I don't like the way the holes work. The mandrel slot comes way into the press section, effectively meaning you have to make the bead much smaller than the press to keep it from making bad ends. So it has ended up being too small for my taste. I agree that making pressed beads with nice ends is difficult.
Looking at the catwalk presses just now, I like the fact that they wouldn't mess with the ends of the beads. So , now I'll have to think about selling the one I bought and getting something different. Can't afford a bunch of expensive tools that I don't want to use!
Maybe I just need to practice some more, too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laurie
Old 2011-02-20, 7:25am
addicted to dichro

I had one and used it quite a bit for a while but I sold it. I love other people's beads made with presses, it's just not for me.

Old 2011-02-20, 8:59am
sunscreen me baby

Laurie, play with it for a while longer. If you are having trouble making nice ends with a Zoozii press you aren't really going to find another one will fix the problem. I don't know if you know this, but when I first started I though you pressed the bead once and it was good to go. I find you do a series of presses with heating in between to get it just right. Over time it will be less presses but I still do 3 or 4 with my button florals and I have made thousands of buttons at this point. Think of the press as more of a hand tool than a mold.

~

Old 2011-02-20, 3:22pm
one day at a time

I had about a dozen and then had to sell them all to make a house payment. The only ones I have left are a Kalera which was a gift, so I would never sell it, and my CoonValley 2 size crunch. My husband took that one away from me to keep me from selling it when we really needed the cash, but after all, I'm glad he did!

Thanks for the reminder, I think I will play with that one tonight.
Old 2011-02-20, 4:40pm
Redbearmountain

Well I own six ZooZii presses. Used them alot up until I bought my electrical mandrel spinner. Now it's rollers for me I will have all of Donna's rollers someday. Ha! Rollers and the EMS go so well together have not used a press in several years.

Old 2011-02-20, 8:55pm

I have 52 presses. My favorite are the ones made by Mikesbrassforglass.
I love the shapes he made. Just wish he would start making presses again.
Old 2011-02-20, 9:00pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCollie View Post
I have 52 presses.
say what??? How do you store them, and how you find the one you need? Im paring down as fast as I realize I am not using them enough... I am assuming you do use them though. And when I posted on this thread 6 months ago, I only have two of the items left of the ones I listed. But I did some replacing. And then some...
Old 2011-02-20, 9:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by piakaven View Post
say what??? How do you store them, and how you find the one you need? Im paring down as fast as I realize I am not using them enough... I am assuming you do use them though. And when I posted on this thread 6 months ago, I only have two of the items left of the ones I listed. But I did some replacing. And then some...
I have then stored on a metal tierd spice racks, that I got at Bed, Bath , &Beyond. Racks are inside a open front metal box with my kiln on top,They are numbered and I logged the number and shape into a spiral notebook. So all I have to do is look for the number , easy and grab the one I want.I can keep up with them all that way.And I do use them all.
Janet C.
Old 2011-02-20, 9:27pm
Bead Artist

NONE not one.

Old 2011-02-21, 1:15am
one day at a time

Quote:
I have 52 presses. My favorite are the ones made by Mikesbrassforglass.
I love the shapes he made. Just wish he would start making presses again.
Holy Crap!

One thing that should be comforting about that is that if you ever get in a down on your luck situation, you could sell them off and get very close what you paid for them. Right here in the Garage, and they would snatch them up. You have a small fortune there....geez!
Old 2011-02-21, 8:55am

I guess I'm a bead press collector. Lol I did trade one right after I started collecting ,but realize I did use it more than I thought , so I bought it again.
I still look at other presses. I love some of the Bavarian presses too. And have several of those. Its taken me 6 yrs to collect. So it has been a slow process.( I actually started it, everytime hubby would buy more fishing gear, I'd buy another press. )
Janet C.
Old 2011-02-21, 9:15am
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
I have 52 presses.
You win!! At one point I had 10, now I'm down to 2. I really miss my nugget trio! I will get one again someday. I would really like to get a disk beadroller, in time it will happen!

Old 2011-02-21, 10:34am

I bought clearance racks at Hobby Lobby for $5 each. It stores my frit, the presses and anything else that can sit on a very shallow shelf. They are tiered, 3 or 4 rows high. I have about 15 presses and use them off and on. IT's the glass that is taking over my studio space.

Old 2011-02-28, 6:09am
Isinglass Design

SuzyQ. Thanks for the tips. I have not given up quite yet. I'm finding out a bit about them as I go. Doing it a bit at a time should help.
In the beginning I was kind of pressing- now I let the weight of the press do the work. And I find that it works better for me if I use a smaller mandrel than the press was made for, as long as I'm careful about the pressing process. Still more practice in the works. I was thinking the trough style presses might be more my thing.

Laurie
Old 2011-02-28, 7:47am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
You win!! At one point I had 10, now I'm down to 2. I really miss my nugget trio! I will get one again someday. I would really like to get a disk beadroller, in time it will happen!
Anne, have you tried the Slim Nugget trio? I LOVE it!! (I have the regular nugget trio, too.)

Old 2011-02-28, 8:03am
Detail G-Mama!

It's on the list!

Old 2011-02-28, 7:49pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
It's on the list!
Pssstt!
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188442