LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-08-16, 12:51pm
Sheila

Default Newbie tutorials!

xxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by beadworkstudio; 2012-04-21 at 10:47am.
Old 2008-08-16, 1:08pm
Fiddle-dee-dee!

Cool Sheila! They look great!
Old 2008-08-16, 2:03pm
Colors outside the lines

Nice job, and what a great thing to do!

Leah
Old 2008-08-16, 2:26pm
Whooooo, me?

Thanks, Sheila! Very nicely done.

An editing note for you, in the last tutorial the last photo on page 2 is out of place. I believe it's supposed to be the last photo on page 1 or the first on page 2.

Beth
Old 2008-08-16, 9:57pm
Old to LE, new to torch

Awesome! Thanks Shiela. I like the idea of the torch printout, too.

I work a graveyard shift, so if I don't answer posts/pms right away, it's because I'm sleeping, not being rude
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-17, 12:48am

Sheila, I think it is very generous of you to share these, thank you!

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2008-08-17, 11:04am
Sheila

You're very welcome.

You're right Beth, that last photo looks out of place. It's the final bead if you don't put the dots of transparent color over white, and I haven't figured out how to put it in without messing up my layout. It's there now until I can get a piece made as an example, which will have both types of flowers.

Old 2008-08-17, 11:14am
just plain silly

Sheila, How nice of you to take the time to put these together. I am going to try your poked dots exercise because my flowers suck!

Suzanne
Old 2008-08-17, 11:58am
Pyro Tyro

These are really nice. I must try the staggered dot one!

thanks.

- Jill

Old 2008-08-17, 12:21pm
Chocoholic

Since I'm currently a newbie I have to say I'm very happy that you took the time to make something to help people like me out. It can be so overwhelming when you first start lampworking. I look forward to seeing more!

Laura Lee
Old 2008-08-20, 4:17am

Thank you so much for sharing these. I can't wait to go over them tonight.

Join the Army of Women to fight Breast Cancer. Click
Old 2008-08-20, 2:01pm

Hi Shelia! Your always up to something good. I read all the tutorials and think they are great. I wish I had read the first one, basic bead before I started trying to learn how to make matching spacers. My approach has been to wing it and pray. You approach is much more helpful. I learned a few other things too, and I've already made around 1000 beads. I'm going to try the flower beads too!

Old 2008-08-20, 7:03pm

Thanks Sheila! I can't wait to try the poked dot flower tutorial.

From chaos of the mind...comes creativity.
Theresa (Tee) McConatha ~
Old 2008-08-21, 5:16am
Patti

For a newbie like myself these are wonderful. Thank you!

"Different Strokes for Different Folks" - Sly and the Family Stone
Old 2008-08-21, 5:51am
Mad about Glass

Great work Sheila! It's a good idea for anyone to take another look at the basics - not just newbies.

Thanks
Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-08-21, 6:37am

These are great, Sheila. My only suggestion would be to rename the Poked Dot Tutorial "Poked Flower Bead" because when I opened it, I was expecting the Poked Dot technique, where one polks the middle of the dot and then adds a transparent over the poked dot getting a bubble. That seems like the logical next tutorial to do.
Old 2008-08-21, 10:01am
Cake for me too please

Great job! I really like your torch sheets. Super idea!
Old 2008-08-22, 8:32am

These are really good!! I didn't even have to read any other the instructions, the pictures said it all. Looking forward to more.
Old 2008-08-22, 10:01am
Resident hippie

Thanks so much Sheila - these are great - and I love the colours.

Anna

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2008-08-22, 10:33pm

Default Tuts

Hey Sheila,
I just wanted you to know that I just got off the torch trying your tutorials, I was having drama a few days back when my dots were crummy. I made three of each of the beads you made the tutorials on and they came out pretty well. They taught me patience with placing them and patience to work the rubino. I will take some pictures when they get out of the fiber blanket. I am not kiln worthy yet, but I appreciate your efforts.
Linda
Old 2008-08-23, 12:43am
Sheila

Thanks for the nice words. I'm so happy that these are useful. Like I said, I originally wrote them only as writing and design samples. They still aren't finished, but at least the four exercises are ready to use. It's so nice to get feedback!

Good point, Debbie. I didn't even think of that. Thanks! I'm not doing trapped bubbles because I don't make them (except a few times early on) so I haven't perfected them. Maybe I should include them but I don't feel I can offer any good advice.

Linda, I'm so glad the exercises helped you! I would love to see pictures, especially before and after.

Old 2008-08-23, 2:49am
BeadsonCypress

My staggered dots have never worked to my satisfaction, but with your tutorial I think I am going to give it another try! Clear, concise and great explanations!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2008-08-23, 9:28am

Smile

Wonderful tutorials and the torch sheet makes it perfect!!
Thanks for sharing, can't wait to practice these!

Shirley
Old 2008-08-25, 12:02pm

Default Thanks

Sheila,
Thanks for the awesome tutorials. They are well written, very easy to follow, and the pictures are just the tops !!!

I hope to see more of your tutorials in the future. I will bookmark them, for sure.

Peggy

Old 2008-08-25, 6:52pm
I wanna go back...

Shelia, Thanks so much for your tutorials! I have printed them out to take down to my torch to follow next time I fire up my hothead! What you have written is exactly what I am looking for. Step by Step directions!

I have bookmarked your site and (no pressure! LOL) will be checking for the other two you mentioned!

Many many thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrea: A newbie with a HotHead, bulk MAPP and a Chili Pepper.
Old 2008-08-28, 9:54am

Hello Sheila,
great description, but i have small comment to the 8 dot excercise. As newbie, i had big troubles withe even spacing of the dots. I think, it is allmost impossible to turn bead 1/4 and hit the right spot. The technique, what works for me (and i think for many others beadmakers) is little bit diferrent. I make the first dot, and a small reference dot on the mandrel. Then, thanks to the reference point i can turn the mandrel 1/2 turn allmost exactly. So you hve now two equidistant dots and you can halve the intervals further to 4, 8, etc dots. The same technique is used for 6 (12, etc ...) only after the first two dots i do two dots on each halft, it goes pretty good to hit the right distance. Maybe, you can use this as alternative for you tutorial.
Old 2008-08-28, 2:04pm
Sheila

Thanks for the feedback, osvold. My next exercise (which is almost ready) is 6 dots, and I use exactly that method except I completely forgot about the reference dot on the mandrel (which I haven't needed for a long time--thanks for the reminder!). I'll put a note in the 8-dot exercise that you can use the method from the 6-dot bead as an alternative. For me, the 90 degree turns were easy to master but 180 degrees was hard. I think everyone is a little different.

Old 2008-08-31, 6:33am

Thank you Sheila,I am so new to lampworking that I have only taken 5 classes and in the process of setting up a studio.* I know that I am going to have to practice and learn some things on my own and I was wanting a step by step guide of learning different techniques.* Since I am so new to lampworking, I was worried that I'd try something that required the knowledge of some basics before being able to actually achieve whatever it is that I wanted to do which would lead to frustration and maybe giving up.* I really appreciate the fact that you want to share your work with everyone.Cheryl
Old 2008-09-13, 2:32pm

These are great! I have only been doing this for about 3 weeks now and am self taught! I do hope your going to do more, how about one on how to do the nice little dimples where to bead meets the mandrel. It's driving me mad trying and trying to get them..........
Old 2008-09-13, 5:07pm

Those are great! Good job.

Become a fan on Facebook: