No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-11-05, 7:00am
Melting

Default Coral/salmon color

Does anyone have suggestions for a 104 coral/salmon color? Effetre coral is too orange. I have a sweater that is coral/salmon colored and I have nothing to wear with it! lol

Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2008-11-05, 7:18am
yukue fumei

Vetrofond Orange Sherbet? When heated hot it turns a pretty salmon color....
http://www.shop.themandrel.com/produ...&productId=446

nagi

Old 2008-11-05, 7:34am

bullseye?

Or....try one of the zillion effetre coral odds. (yeah, I know you said effetre coral is "too orange", but...there's like seriously, a zillion "odd" corals, if you show the sweater, someone will likely tell you which "odd" coral will match it more closely--every batch of that stuff is a different color! I've probably got 7 odd batches--but I know there are people with WAY more batches than I've got! 'cause I've missed a bunch the last few years 'cause of $ shortages! Stuff ranges all the way from practically brown--"dark cinnamon"--to practically yellow--"banana"!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-11-05, 7:42am
yukue fumei

LOL! so true!

nagi

Old 2008-11-05, 8:14am
Lampworkaholic!

CiM Ginger is a soft peachy 104 salmon. Tongue Pink strikes to salmon. Powder Pink looks salmon in the cane, haven't worked it yet but it might be the one.

Liz
Old 2008-11-05, 8:33am
Melting

Here's the sweater:

Maybe coral persimmon? I am worried it might be a little dark, though.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2008-11-05, 8:50am
yukue fumei

oh wow!
That is dark...persimmon may be a bit orange...
maybe the dark cinnamon? It's a bit more brown than that....but redder than persimmon....

nagi

Old 2008-11-05, 8:56am
Gimme that silver glass!

It looks like firefighters red on my screen? I would think maybe Lauscha transp. red, or the opaque one.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-11-05, 9:07am
Melting

Ok - maybe this will help. It looks like the rod form of plain old normal coral. In fact, I thought it was going to be a perfect match. Even the stringers looked perfect! But when I made the bead, the coral parts were too orange. I was really shocked. Maybe I overheated it and changed the color?

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2008-11-05, 9:09am
Melting

It looks like this when you pull up the larger picture:
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=3324
But isn't that regular coral?

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2008-11-05, 9:22am
Fancy Mammal

The stringers might be a different batch of coral than the rods that Frantz has right now, I'd call and ask. There hasn't been a "regular" coral in at least 4 years - I've heard that once upon a time, in the dark ages, coral was always the same . Now there's no such thing as regular.
Old 2008-11-05, 9:24am
Melting

Oh...really? I got mine a year and a half ago from arrow springs; it was just called "coral." I wonder what I have!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2008-11-05, 9:28am
Melting

Heck with it. I'm getting persimmon, peach persimmon, and the stringers - one of them has to be close enough! Maybe I can even mix them.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2008-11-05, 10:07am
I speak Murrini!

I have a coral/salmon colored dress, as well as a favorite tee shirt...I also looked and looked for a color that would compliment it well.

When I stumbled on this effect from using Poppy, I found it went very well with my dress and tee:

And a variation - using the "Watermelon" version of Poppy:

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-11-05, 11:00am
Melting

De, the watermelon ones look very close to what I am looking for. Too bad it is so expensive!!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2008-11-05, 11:11am

Hmmm, since it came out too orang looking, I wonder what your bead would look like if you used the coral, but covered it with a clear pink or lavender glass. Perhaps that would give it just the right hue. Don't know, just thinking.

Old 2008-11-05, 11:21am
Melting

That is a great idea - it might just work! I'll give that a shot too.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2008-11-05, 7:24pm

Coral can be weird about being encased--you might try using a core of clear under the coral first.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-11-06, 12:08am

Theresa - PM me your address and I will send you a couple rods of Poppy to try. It is a nice bright orange.

Old 2008-11-06, 11:37am

Lauscha has a beautiful coral color called Thuringean Salmon:
http://www.flamedame.com/newshop/ind...keyword=salmon
Unfortunatley I sold out of it this week!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-11-06, 7:57pm
Melting

Luna, thanks for the encasing tip.

Lisa, I pm'd you - thanks!!

Paula, I'll keep an eye out if these ideas don't work; thanks for the suggestion.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2008-11-10, 9:29pm
I practice alchemy!

Opalino carnelian does nifty things and looks very coral when you work it for a while. If you "overwork" it or overheat it it gets very dark.

Celeste
Old 2008-11-11, 7:37am
Melting

Thanks for the suggestion, Celeste!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2008-11-11, 7:53am

I think your sweater looks like the carrot red, or maybe even light red. They often have an orangy tone.
Old 2008-11-11, 8:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnehlers View Post
Here's the sweater:

Maybe coral persimmon? I am worried it might be a little dark, though.
On my screen that looks red I have lots of old effretti or morretti lite red that looks like it's that colour... I have lots of old coral too... but I don't think it would be even close to that colour! Lauscha opaque red isn't far off that either....

Lynne

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2008-11-11, 8:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Lauscha has a beautiful coral color called Thuringean Salmon:
http://www.flamedame.com/newshop/ind...keyword=salmon
Unfortunatley I sold out of it this week!

Paula
I have some of that but I really think your sweater looks like one of the red orange effretti colours....

Lynne

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2008-11-11, 10:19am

Hi Theresa

How about taking a picture of your sweater and a carrot? So we'd have some kind of a reference and might be able to help you better?! On my screen your sweater looks just red as well.
Martina

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators
Old 2008-11-12, 6:35am
Melting

Ok, I will do that. It is definately not red. It is more of a pink coral or salmon color.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2008-11-12, 6:55am
Melting

I took some pictures, but they aren't coming out accurately. I have a better idea. Go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_(color)
It is the coral red or coral pink. Almost in between the two.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2008-11-12, 8:43am

Hi Theresa

I had shown this picture of my test beads before, but can't remember when and why! It's all Vetrofond: Poppy-Watermelon on the top and the orange rods are Salmon Pink. I know, both colors are not available any more, but you might find them in the garage sale? Anyway, the colors turn out differently, depending on the heat and amount of oxygen and the length of time I'm working the glass. (On my screen the Salmon Pink looks a little too yellowish, in person it's more coral!)

Martina

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators