Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-26, 3:34pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Default Bead presses....how many do you have?

How many bead presses do you own?
What shapes do you have (and which are your favorites)?
Where do you buy your presses and why?

Thanks very much!
Lynn
Old 2006-04-26, 4:32pm
A True Woofer

Waaaaay too many. I think I have all of the Zoozii presses, but don't tell anybody. I have a few Cattwalk presses (pastille & puffy pillow -- great shapes!!!), but I prefer the pins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-26, 4:36pm

Great minds think alike Lynn! I was just thinking this exact same series of questions yesterday while I was at the torch. I don't have many in comparison (I was slow jumping onto the pressed bead bandwagon) but lately I've been buying them and loving them. These are the presses I have....

* Zooziis medium pillow -- liked it way back when...haven't used it in I don't know how long.
* Zooziis medium diamond -- have used it maybe a dozen times or less. Never was crazy about it.
* Zooziis kalera nugget trio and kalera nugget large -- by far my all time favorite presses ever ever ever. They are both fairly new (the trio came out in January and the large came out last week) and I have used each of them every single torch session since I got them.
* Zooziis tab trio -- like this one a lot. Used to use it a lot but lately I haven't.
* Zooziis tile trio - was my absolute favorite till I got the kalera nuggets. Use this one a whole lot too.
* Zooziis rain drop duo - absolutely had to have this one, was so thrilled to get it, but I have used it maybe less than 5 times.

* Zooziis sweetie round is next on my wish list.

* Cattwalk marquis duo -- absolutely had to have this one, thrilled to get it, yada yada yada...hardly ever use it.
* Cattwalk wide crunch #2 -- hemmed and hawwed over the crunch press for the past year -- do I like the crunches or don't I -- never could decide. Finally ordered the press and got it 2 days ago -- still wishy washy over it.

Both Cattwalk and Zooziis have excellent service and you will find that many people use both "brands" of presses (there are others but I haven't ordered from any of the other sellers). Many people have opinions as to which brand they prefer so you will find it really is a matter of personal opinion. Some people prefer the Cattwalk presses, others prefer Zooziis, but both companies will come highly recommended -- either one you choose you will get a great product with great customer service. With that said, since you asked, I prefer the Zooziis presses for a few reasons...
* they are generally less expensive
* they have pins at either corner that ensure a perfect alignment every time (Cattwalk presses have one guide pin, but I prefer the type of pins on the Zooziis) -- This is hardly an issue to most people, it's just my opinion.
* they don't require a base and therefore take up less space. This creates a convenience factor too. If I'm making a bead and suddenly decide to press it, it's far more convenient to grab a Zooziis press than it is to grab the Cattwalk base and appropriate press top since there are no pins to hold the top in place. Then if you have more than 2 of the Cattwalk presses you either need to change the press (the base only holds 2 presses) or own more than one base -- I would think changing the press while you have a bead in the flame would be inconvenient but with a Zooziis you can quickly grab the press you want and go. No worries about what press is secured into the base. I find the whole base situation cumbersome and unnecessary so in general I prefer the Zooziis press style. (edited to add: I hope that this response is acceptible and that I haven't stepped on any toes -- it's just my opinion. You will find many others who prefer the Catt presses over the Zooziis presses so its all just a matter of opinion I guess.)

Having said all this, I still check Cattwalks site regularly because even though I prefer the Zooziis type of presses, oftentimes Catt has designs that nobody else has (like the Marquis). It's a gorgeous shape and a Catt exclusive. The large marquis is next on my Cattwalk wishlist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-04-26, 5:30pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Gosh, Melissa! Awesome posting! Thanks for your input!!!

Lynn
Old 2006-04-26, 8:53pm

I'm sooooo boring. I have the Zoozii lentil trio and the zoozii Kalera trio. One of these days I'm going to buy the kalera nugget trio, and if I can decide what size, a large lentil press. I just haven't been that interested in presses. Maybe when I'm good enough to make perfect pressed beads every time I'll like then better. Deep down I'm more of a bicone/barrel/olive shaped girl.
Old 2006-04-26, 8:59pm
Student of DachZen

I've got the following Zooziis:

Kalera Nugget Trio
Cube Duo
Kalera Medium single
Kalera Long and Lean
Hex Trio
Gem Trio
Egg Duo

I love them all! I bought my very first one in March (yes, of this year!) and now I can't seem to stop. Mostly got them from the Garage, but I bought one or two new from zooziis website.

Next on my wants list are the Crystal Trio and the Spree Trio. Yummm, can't wait to get those!

I did a lot of research before I bought into a press type. For me, the Zooziis was a win-win, no doubt about it. I don't like fiddling with a base, and I can pull any press or as many out as I want and don't have to worry if I have enough "base" room for them on my table.

Last edited by adovbs; 2006-04-26 at 9:01pm.
Old 2006-04-26, 9:17pm
Fire Diva

I love Cattwalk's stamps!!

I have owned both Zoozzi and Cattwalk presses and prefer Cattwalks' presses. I had a difficult time with Zoozzii's and the shapes coming out crisp. Personally, I found Cattwalk's to be easier to manipulate and more consistent when I press with the shape. As stated by Melissa above, just like any tool or equipment, it is personal opinion. And my personal choice happens to be Cattwalk.

Cattwalk's customer service is exceptional.

Cattwalk continues to expand their stamp shapes, forming trays, and texture plates with unique designs.

Cattwalk has the bases (instead of the pins having to line up with holes).

I tend to change presses in mid bead...and have learned to master it one handed! lol. I also have my presses lined up with the correct tops on their bottoms so I can grab as needed.

I love, love, love the Cattwalk crunch and always have it on one side of my base!! It is the deeper and longer crunch. My other favorites are Cattwalk's stop sign, Cattwalk fused lentil, and the Cattwalk's marquis.

On my shopping list is:
Cattwalk's wide crunch
Cattwalk's emerald
Cattwalk's waffle plank
Cattwalk's shadow box
and since Cattwalk has that great base and stamp offer maybe another base

Last edited by paintingwithglass; 2006-04-26 at 9:55pm.
Old 2006-04-26, 9:35pm
Just Plain

I'm A Zoozii girl all the way. I have 20 of them so far and love their ease of use. Easy to pack too for our beady get togethers!

Old 2006-04-26, 9:47pm
Dot Princess

I have 2 presses

Zoozii Diamond, not sure if it is the small or the med?
Zoozii Pillow trio

My little princess came Dec 30,2009 Still no time for beads
boy is she a demanding little thing.
Old 2006-04-26, 9:49pm
Enabler

We're definitely Cattwalk girls. We have a couple of the Zoozii presses, but unlike some of the posts above, I find the pins a little awkward. Fay really nailed it.......Catt's presses are simple to change out of the base in midbead....just the turn of a couple of screws is all it takes. Now before I admit just how bad our addiction is....bear in mind that Mother and I SHARE these tools. At last count we were the proud owners of

nineteen

Cattwalk presses, plus the tabulator!!

(I always heard if you said it quietly, admitting it didn't hurt so much!)

Angie

Old 2006-04-26, 9:58pm
Capp'in Fool

Cattwalk press lover here too.......
I have five
The lentil
Deep princss
Daisy
Crunch
Graduated button.....Well this is the new one.....so it's my favorite now

Yep.... what Fay said......Easy to use !

Old 2006-04-26, 10:09pm

I have 8
Corina's
  • Bead Squeeze
  • Lentil
Zoozii's
  • pillow

made by my son
  • diamond
  • stop sign
  • tabs
  • tube
  • triangle

Old 2006-04-26, 10:14pm
Lampworker on Hiatus

I'm definately a CattWalk fan ... I own 16 with a couple on their way tomorrow. Woo Hoo! Very easy to change out presses mid-bead if I change my mind as to what I want to make.

Old 2006-04-27, 4:07am
sunscreen me baby

Cattwalk girl too.
I agree with everything Angie said and more. I love that I can be so out of the box with Cattwalk presses. They really feed the need for new tools by coming out with new ones often.
Fred really pays attention to detail and I don't get a press with a dot in the middle of the bead that has to be firepolished out.

~

Old 2006-04-27, 4:09am
sunscreen me baby

oh how many? um, at last count I had 32.

~

Old 2006-04-27, 5:31am
A True Woofer

I just counted. I have 75. There is one Zoozii press that I don't have, so I lied in my first post.

Old 2006-04-27, 5:48am
Um......

32....75...!!!
OMG!!!
I thought I was WAY bad for having 18!!!
Carli
Old 2006-04-27, 6:10am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Wow Ellen 75 Does that mean you have a problem? NA. Never enough tools.

I have 14.

Two zooziis

One off ebay

And the rest Cattwalk. I am a Cattwalk fan through and through. I also am not as much of a fan of the pins. I like the freedom of the Cattwalk presses. And I love that Catt and Fred are so willing to listen to customers about what type of presses they want to see and will make custom designs. They are great people, wonderful service and really supportive.

My favorite of the day is the button press, followed closely by the puffy pillow, then the pastille. Thanks Catt!

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2006-04-27, 6:20am
A True Woofer

I definitely do have a problem. I met Amy's dad at a show and I said "my name is Ellen and I'm a zooziiaddict..." Thank goodness my addiction is only in the tools and glass realms. I think I'm one step shy of saving the daily newspaper. LOL.

Old 2006-04-27, 6:31am
sunscreen me baby

LOL Ellen! I already told my husband a press is kind of like a different paintbrush. But now I'll just say "Well, my friend Ellen has 75."

~

Old 2006-04-27, 7:09am
A True Woofer

Feel free to use me as the posterchild of too many presses. LOL!

Old 2006-04-27, 8:37am

omg...I'm so jealous...I don't have ONE...nope, not one...(ok, I have a pair of tapley tongs someone gifted me...how pathetic is that??)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-04-27, 11:50am
IMAHO

I don't have any either Lyn, but I did use one once. I whipped out a set of 5 really quickly and said, "hmm, great production tool, but I don't think it's me." I think it was a lentil trio.

sorry, I don't even know who made it. Am I out of the loop, or what?

"Free your mind and your glass will follow"
Old 2006-04-27, 2:13pm

I've got a Cattwalk~ bead squeeze and lentil trio (yes, I bought them when Catt was making them for Corina) that I adore! I also have the tab press that I don't care for at all.
Zoozii~ pillow and diamond~ love the pillow and hate the diamond because I could never get a consistent shape and it required waaaay to much pre-press forming for my liking. I only keep the diamond because my son likes to make jewels
I have a Cattwalk pastille I bought from another lampworker but I don't care for it because it is so thick and requires a ton of glass. That's says a lot coming from someone who loves to make 18mm. and larger lentils.
I would like to get the puffy pillow but can't condone the cost since I already own a pillow press.
I like them for the "stretched canvas" because it opens up the design possibilities. You can do things on a smaller pressed bead that would normally require a very large round focal bead.
I did stop buying them because I see the "every shape you could ever imagine" as a more mass produced thing. It so easy to make a bead, roll it in frit and press it. Not a lot of thought there. I call them "no brainer" beads. I don't think it helps the glass artist cause by charging the same amount for these "no brainer" beads as one would charge for an intricately detailed bead or a design that requires time spent to achieve the effect. I think you're only hurting yourself that way. It's different if they want to bid the price up and go wild. The China mass-producers are starting to press in the same shapes. To the average buyers mind the only difference is kiln annealed (which is lied about by importers anyway) and price. JMO.
Like you asked for all this info. I'll step down from my soapbox now.

Tracey

Listen to your inner voice. It knows what's it's talking about.
Old 2006-04-27, 3:43pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I have about 30 Zooziis presses (just got the whole tamale texture kit today!)

I have about 20 Cattwalk presses.

I use my original Cattwalk/Corina lentil press most often. I don't agree that presses are a shortcut. I could easily whip out donut or round beads in most of the styles that I make in about half of the time that it takes me to make a lentil. However, I am very picky about my lentils. I like them to be symmetrical - not that elongated shape with the big ears at the bead holes. In order to get them to be close to circular with a good beadhole takes a lot of extra time.

I really do like the canvas that the bead presses provide. Silver looks fantastic when cased in a pressed bead because so much more of it shines through.

Old 2006-04-27, 3:47pm
A True Woofer

I agree with you, MaryBeth. It takes a lot more to make a good pressed bead than the equivalent round bead. I think it comes down to make what you love. I love making pressed beads - right now the nugget and the spree are my favorites. Can't stop making them.

Old 2006-04-27, 7:23pm
sunscreen me baby

I'm with you Ellen and Mary Beth. Presses aren't for eveyone but then again, neither are round beads.

~

Old 2006-04-28, 12:07am

I own half a dozen presses. I use them once in awhile - lately I have used the lentil and the square pillow a little more often.

I have Corina's lentil press, Zoozii's square pillow press, Cattwalk's crunch, a pastille press (I can't remember whose) and a rectangle tab press that I think came from Corina, too. Do parallel masher's count? I use those for my cubes, and most of my tabs.

I'm a perfectionist, and it took me a long time to be able to press beads the way I wanted to. I want the holes to look nice, I want the bead shape to be even, etc. I'm finally getting the hang of it. I might have to invest in a daisy press, because flowers are my fave.

Last edited by kandice; 2006-04-28 at 12:10am.
Old 2006-04-28, 12:41am
Formerly known as LT

I don't have any right now. The classes I have taken so far, the teachers didn't like them. I think though I might have to take a second look at this. Thanks for the info.
Old 2006-04-28, 5:14am
A True Woofer

Many "purists" don't like them. To each their own, I guess. I happen to love them.