No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-07-23, 12:26pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Default Baking Soda Finish

I have a question. I've made beads over the years that I thought would be fun to roll in baking soda as a finish before putting them in the kiln. I usually make the shape of the bead, roll it in baking soda, stick it in the flame for the residual soda to burn off, then put it in the kiln. And that all works great! The beads look like lava beads, they are awesome. BUT.... I've noticed that they seem to flake, shed, become dusty with minute particles of glass dust. I believe this is because the surface of the bead is compromised by the backing soda. I'd like to make more of these and sell them, but I don't want them to arrive in a bag of dusty glass to the new owner. And besides, wearing glass beads like that can't be safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-07-23, 12:42pm

Hi Alexis. I've made some of these over the years, but I found the 'trick', if you will, is to very lightly dust with baking soda. Most folks, I think, roll in baking soda with the glass almost molten. It picks up too much baking soda and so it continues to react with the glass for a very long time. I've got a couple that i kept that I've been wearing since the early 2000's that have never flaked or disintegrated. HTH
Old 2017-07-23, 3:56pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Give them a nice soak in vinegar, that'll help quite a bit.
Old 2017-07-23, 5:08pm
addicted to dichro

Yes, I've also found that the way you have to apply it is by pinching a little and dusting the bead ever so lightly while turning the mandrel. I found that the beads I get too much baking soda on are way to abrasive to be worn. I think the reaction would depend on what the glass is too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-07-23, 5:50pm
Slogan Challenged...

great advice, I always thought you had to use a lot of baking soda. I have the tut, and I should try this. It's such a gorgeous look. Thanks for asking, Alexis

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2017-07-24, 9:49pm
Phill

I wonder if a salt shaker would give you a better control of the quantity baking soda applied?
Old 2017-07-25, 6:47pm
Lisa Berczel

I use an enamel sifter to dust a thiiiin layer on the flat side of a graphite marver and then roll the bead in that and tap all the excess off the bead.