No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-09-26, 12:22pm

Default bad start to new studio

been awhile since I've posted.
made a move to seaside Oregon and set my glass studio with no real problems, but I need work space for my woodworks. I got shot down with the planning commission to place a small second story on my carriage garage. Bummer

so I looked for a rental industrial space and was denied( they didn't want the dust from my lathe).

so then I tryed for commercial space which is limited and ever place I could consider had major issues. ho hmmmm.

I was getting no where fast, and so I decided to purchase a home with detached garage for my new work space. I hope to rent out the house to some one cool?

in any case, I purchased the home and had the whole place rewired, shop to boot. Yahoo, new work space, very small, but it's ready to go.

well i hire a national moving company to move out the heavy equipment from my old shop and bring it down south to oregon.

ever have those worries of going to buy glass and having it arrived in kibble and bits?

these guy showed up at the Seaside home with my equipment. they opened the door to the lift gate truck, and all of it had tipped over. 7 piece of extremely heave stuff crushed. not one moving blanket, and zero straps.
what the #$@!*%*!!!!!!!!!
only piece is presently usable

my 5 hp Powermatic table saw mangled, my Oneway 2436 lathe hammered,
three stationary sanders and a 18" bandsaw will never be able to be repaired

six of the seven machines sat on mobile bases that let these piece fly around the back of the truck? all the mobile bases are history as well.

ummm oooooo why me?

I was hoping to be up and running right away; I needed to step away from glass for a bit, but

thanks for letting me vent
Murf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2011-09-26, 12:33pm

front view of the shop
Attached Images

------------------------
Old 2011-09-26, 12:39pm
Mr Brutus RIP

wow, that really sucks!! So sorry that all happened. We have had nothing but bad experiences with moving companys so the last time we did it ourselves, We pack the truck, they drive it......big difference.
Your studio looks so beautiful, atleast that is a bright side

Will the company reimburse you for their damages??

Sue

Old 2011-09-26, 12:41pm

side of shop, facing the back of the house. On a up beat note, I like the house and love the out door space and planting. I'm all about my kicking back out side, so way cool.
Attached Images

------------------------
Old 2011-09-26, 12:43pm

thanks Sue.
I'm working with the company and no doubt their insurance company. Just last thing I wanted to be dealing with.

------------------------
Old 2011-09-26, 12:46pm

the front of the home
Attached Images

------------------------
Old 2011-09-26, 12:54pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Wow, your home is beautiful. It looks like so many homes on cape cod, lovely!!
Well, best of luck with them(ins & truck co) and your new home and studio!!!

sue

Old 2011-09-26, 12:54pm

and a view from the deck. the back yard is not complete which I'm excited about, but nice. I'll have my Koi pond in no doubt before my machinery is repaired.
Attached Images

------------------------
Old 2011-09-26, 1:05pm

the front yard is a crazy English garden. thank god fall is here, I've been dragging water hoses around non stop. Irrigation system is going in for sure this winter . As pretty as it is, its a nightmare to maintain.
Attached Images

------------------------
Old 2011-09-26, 1:08pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Cool. We are just now working on a koi pond. We did it with a liner cause dh dug it so big We have a deck that goes partway over it to hopefully keep the fish safe but I've already seen large cat prints in the sand. It jumped our stockade fence. Guess I need to find a way to lock the fish up like the chickens LOL
Where are you going to put the fish pond, in that far back corner by the pink plant?
How big? I love sitting and listening to the water, so relaxing!!

Old 2011-09-26, 1:10pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Beautiful!! Is that cosmos on the far right next to the corner of the house?
I can't wait for it to cool down a bit.....We have been putting in a sprinkler system slowly but I still have to drag the hose to the veggie garden still

Old 2011-09-26, 1:13pm

the home is really cute, right around 750 square feet. prefect for my living needs. However
my daughter slash mother and family will not let me live there while renting the bigger home that I presently reside in. so I'll just have to find a renter that will be will to put up with a full time artist/ groundskeeper that hangs out in the studio. we will see?

------------------------
Old 2011-09-26, 1:15pm
Loving learning

What a lovely space you have, both to work and to live! So sorry about the moving mess, I hope they make it better than before.
Old 2011-09-26, 1:23pm

I have have true koi ponds up north. wow are the Koi big and the raccoons enjoy them. no worries it all about free range there. more koi than the blue herons and raccoons can catch. I"m sticking with a english theme here? a square pond in the location around where you said. maybe a garden statue of a boy peeing in the pool type thing ? I plan on building a small garden shed along side of it. my old shop I had several ponds that I made that are out standing, and no predators. a real joy to listen to and to view from the shop window

And in all my ponds, wow you should see how big my channel cat fish are. when I purchased them they where tiny and now their longer than my arm. Insane !

------------------------

Last edited by murf; 2011-09-26 at 1:36pm.
Old 2011-09-26, 1:26pm

thanks on the kind words of the property. love it, just dang this moving thing is insane, not what I had hoped.

------------------------
Old 2011-09-26, 4:47pm
honorary bead lady

Damm that sucks about the tools! That house looks way nice, are you going to do summer rentals on the other place or long term?
Old 2011-09-26, 6:21pm

my daughter says seasonal

------------------------
Old 2011-10-11, 8:58am
~ toes in the sand.

What an amazingly beautiful place.

Old 2011-10-12, 8:54am

That looks incredible! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you things start to go better.
Old 2011-10-12, 7:56pm

I spoken to the insurance company several times and still no one has come out to view the damage. so sadly i will have my attorney deal with it.
"I'll have my Koi pond in no doubt before my machinery is repaired."
on a good note the pond is in. I still need to run some electrical conduit but I've four new fish that seem very happy. I'll post pictures.
Now I'm just hoping my machinery will be fixed before the garden shed is in. I dont plan on getting to that till spring, so fingers crossed

------------------------
Old 2011-10-17, 9:26am

photo of the pond with visitor. he or she is huge and doesn't mind my being close. As you can see it is bigger than my Pan statue.Gulp .
Attached Images

------------------------
Old 2011-10-17, 11:56am
Always Improving

Welcome to the PNW.

Critters here have no fear.

Mike...
Old 2011-10-17, 12:14pm
Cat Winx

Oh Murf... I can only imagine the heartbreak you must have felt when you first viewed the damage to your equipment!
They had better make it right.. it is absolutely on them to make you "whole" again (as the law puts it). Sucks that it always takes time.
VERY happy to see you have your own slice of paradise to inhabit while they work it through.
Your new digs are gorgeous and the grounds and koi ought to keep you busy (and hopefully somewhat content) while your ride it out.

:::HUGS:::
~Rachel

Old 2011-10-23, 2:44pm

thank you Rachel, hope your well
so first product out of the new shop. lathe and some hand work below. Maple spoon was from the same piece of wood as the bowl. had I been thinking I would have tried to make two spoons. But call it a miss cut or me not thinking I could only get one. felt good to make a mess, now where did I leave that torch? Kidding

------------------------

Last edited by murf; 2011-10-23 at 2:49pm.
Old 2011-10-23, 5:04pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Nice bowl and spoon. Also nice set of planes in the background...I hope they are not setting on the blades
Old 2011-10-23, 6:46pm
Cat Winx

Nice work, Murf... glad to see you're back at it already! (never let the fornicators get ya down )

~Rachel

Old 2011-10-23, 11:11pm
Salt Box Beads

That racoon will be back to fish for your Koi when you are not looking!

Nice digs.
Old 2011-10-24, 8:29am
Fire n Sand Glass Art

Love the house and gardens! Beautiful and cozy!

~
~
~
~
Old 2011-10-24, 8:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Nice bowl and spoon. Also nice set of planes in the background...I hope they are not setting on the blades
nice call, they sit on a 1/4" dowel to protect my bench . they are over flow.
however, I would rather lay a hand plane flat rather than on its side on my bench. chances are something will roll into the exposed blade. My work habits have proven that. the blades are not your standard bedrock/stanley steel. you nick it, you suffer hours of hand sharpening. be it chisel or hand plane, all are hand sharpened or lapped, I dont use a grinding wheel.

------------------------

Last edited by murf; 2011-10-24 at 8:33am.
Old 2011-10-24, 8:35am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I know whereof you speak. My work benches look like the county dump... stuff strewn every which way. So many projects I don't get a chance to clean up before the next one starts.... 6 on the books at the moment.
PJH