Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2014-02-23, 6:18pm

Default BOC @ Playing With Fire Studio in Rockland, Maine- photos!

Hi all,

I'm just now home from a wonderful day of torching at Playing With Fire, which everyone knows is my favorite studio owned by Ed and Virginia Slawson.

We had 7-8 torches running from 11 am until about 6:30-7 pm. Ed set up a display for us to keep in mind the guidelines for BOC's needs. Gail Joseph donated glass and a local glassworker (whom I don't know and whose name I can't remember) also donated glass for the cause.

I brought my Beads of Courage Critter book to share- as was okayed & no copies were made but lots and lots of worms, turtles, cats, lizards and a stray spider came into being. Can't credit the book with the spider but it was fun sharing information in the book and bringing animals to life for children who really need them.

Dominoes donated pizza's to us for lunch and dinner. It was wonderful support for hungry torchers!

Aw heck, who needs the story when the pictures will do, right? I missed getting pictures of Julie and Deb. They both had left by the time I remembered the camera. I'm chalking that up to how busy I was creating! Otherwise, it's an old age thing and I can't have that today!

Attendees included Pam, Alice, Melissa, Julie, Laura J, Sue, Deb and studio owners and wonderful friends: Virginia and Ed Slawson.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our hostess with the mostest, Virginia Slawson

Can't have the hostess without the host so here is our host with the most, Ed Slawson

And where would be be without pictures of the booty?

And some of ours who couldn't make it in person represented themselves by sending in beads:

It was a wonderful cause supported by equally wonderful people. I was pleased to be a part of today.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2014-02-23, 6:37pm
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

Sue,

Thanks for bring your book, your humor, and for taking pictures. Always a pleasure sitting beside you and being sprayed with molten glass... (lol)

It was really fun and liberating. We were all being creative outside of our comfort zones and nobody marked their beads so no one know who made what. It was very fun to just create.

Thanks to all who donated glass and food.

Pam
Old 2014-02-23, 6:40pm
PyronamixK

How awesome, Sue! I'm so glad you were able to go and have so much fun and make a bunch of beads for a very worthy cause. How wonderful of Ed and Virginia to host the event and how great of Gail and the other lady you mentioned to have donated glass! It looks like y'all made a ton of beads!
Old 2014-02-23, 7:12pm

It looks like you had a great day of bead making and made a lot of really nice beads. Thank you for all you do for Beads of Courage!

Robert
Old 2014-02-23, 7:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Sue,

Thanks for bring your book, your humor, and for taking pictures. Always a pleasure sitting beside you and being sprayed with molten glass... (lol)

It was really fun and liberating. We were all being creative outside of our comfort zones and nobody marked their beads so no one know who made what. It was very fun to just create.

Thanks to all who donated glass and food.

Pam
Oops! Sorry about all the flying glass. I swear that white acted like anice... and medium fossil must have had an air bubble running up through the middle. That was one shocky rod of glass!

We took a vote and anything that is UGLY is being attributed to Pam!!! The vote was ONE short of being unanimous- I think Pam was the dissenting vote.

Pam is right about one thing though. We did work outside our comfort zones. I'd never made a worm bead or a cat bead before. We went with QUALITY over QUANTITY and all the went into the kilns was of nice quality. At least, I think so. Ed will take pictures and post them of the beads after they're cleaned. I can't say which beads I enjoyed making the most. Maybe the cats? I hope the siamese is recognizable as a siamese! Not quite the right colors of glass but I did like the calico types I made.

It was a really nice day. I'm sorry beads like this NEED to be made but I'm proud to help the program.

Sue
and the present is a gift.

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2014-02-23 at 9:13pm.
Old 2014-02-23, 8:47pm
Loving learning

What a great day for a great program!
Old 2014-02-23, 10:04pm
Ooh - I could use that!

A Big THANK YOU to Ed & Virginia for hosting. It was a great day full of laughter and fun beads.
Old 2014-02-23, 10:42pm

Quote:

It was a really nice day. I'm sorry beads like this NEED to be made but I'm proud to help the program.

Sue
^^^ This! ^^^

Thank you all for coming and making it a focused and productive day for BOC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Playing with Fire!; 2014-02-23 at 10:44pm.
Old 2014-02-23, 11:32pm

Robert, Eileen, and Kimberly, thanks! Wish you could have been here!

Thanks to Deb and Melissa who contributed so generously to the food table! And to local businesses, Dominoes, Rock City Coffee Roasters, and Hannaford supermarkets!

Gail Joseph sent some of her gorgeous veiled cane, and Richard Remsen supplied some vintage Moretti! Thank you Gail and Richard!

And Sue, thanks for taking and posting all the wonderful pictures!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.