Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-24, 11:00am

Default How do you make ripple effect

How can I make a ripple effect in my bead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jgiovacchini; 2008-10-24 at 11:53am. Reason: remove images
Old 2008-10-24, 11:12am

Jim Smircich explains how to make these on his site, I believe. (If it's not there, it's in one of his books... can't remember the title but I have it at home.)

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-10-24, 11:23am

The only one that is similar on his site is http://www.smircich.com/html/combed___raised.html but its not really what I am looking for.

Old 2008-10-24, 11:29am
Sheryll

I believe that the artist of the beads teaches classes, maybe you can contact her and take one?

Last edited by Raven Wylder; 2008-10-24 at 11:32am. Reason: wanted to add that I believe that the artist teaches classes since I'm guessing the artist's identity
Old 2008-10-24, 11:30am
Flaming my life away

The book Sue is referring to is "The Classic Bead Shapes of Jim Smircich and His Amazing Control of Heat" by Jim Kerwin. It is published by GlassWear Studios (2001). Their e-mail is glasswearstudios@attbi.com and their phone number is 925-443-9139. The technique is called the Wavy Bead. It involves putting stripes on a base bead and then heating a portion of the bead and moving the glass. The book is well written and has a number of interesting techniques to try.
Old 2008-10-24, 11:37am
Flaming my life away

You may also want to try Sarah's "Think Pink" tutorial. Part of the tutorial is the Barbie Bling bead in which she demo's the heating and moving glass principal. This is an awesome tutorial and well worth the money spent. She covers alot of scientific facts about working with hot glass although you wouldn't recognize it as science because it is written in such an interesting manner.
Old 2008-10-24, 12:51pm
one day at a time

Could you be a little more descriptive?? Ripples can be done all sorts of ways and there are all sorts of ripples. If Smircich's isn't what you're looking for, then please give details. And NO don't post someone else's beads here! LOL!
Old 2008-10-24, 1:06pm

Im sorry I posted the pics I did not want to cause a an issue. I had seen other people post pics of how is this bead made so I didn't know not to I have since removed the picks and I will look into the Think pink tutorial if this technique is in there but I think it may be too advance for me as a newbie. I think that maybe I can take the principals of the wavy bead tutorial that was posted here a while ago and see if I can let gravity move a stack dot to get the effect.

The Classic Bead Shapes of Jim Smircich and His Amazing Control of Heat is available on amazon and I have some amazon bucks. Is this technique def in this book.

Last edited by Jgiovacchini; 2008-10-24 at 1:08pm. Reason: adding content
Old 2008-10-24, 1:11pm
moth to the flame

Maybe this was what you were referring to?

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=99725

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2008-10-24, 1:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMaven View Post
Maybe this was what you were referring to?

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=99725
Close but no cigar. She's after the wavy bead that Jim is so great at. She had posted a picture earlier but out of respect to the beadmaker, she removed it.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-10-24, 1:24pm

It might not be that easy to understand now what I’m going to say because the pictures have been removed. I don’t want to cause a heated discussion here, but let me just say this, and I hope it is not going to come out wrong, I don’t want to offend or hurt anyone, and I’m not pointing fingers at anyone either.I just want to get something out of chest: in another thread, people got upset because someone posted a picture without the OK of the artist… After reading it all, I can understand why. But what bother me even more, is people asking not to the artist who made the bead but on a forum… for other people to tear the bead apart trying to figure it out…. What bother me equally is people actually answering this kind of questions… I totally understand the desire for people to share and help other, but only to a certain extend... but it's hard to draw the right limit...

If someone doesn’t want spend too much time experimenting, there are tutorials, books and classes…
Of course, it’s a different story if it is a basic technique, but then a tut should exist already.

My 2 cents of advice : what don’t you try to pm or email the artist and ask her if this technique is in the tut that she has for sale… I’m sure she will tell you at least that, and if you buy the tut, she might be willing to give you some advice since you’re a newbie.

Old 2008-10-24, 1:25pm
moth to the flame

Ah, thanks Sue.

Old 2008-10-24, 1:29pm
da General

This may not exactly like the wavy beads you have in mind, but the concept is similar. . . gravity swirl.

Put stripes of glass from hole to hole on your base beads (perhaps start with four stripes, two of each color), heat a portion of it (e.g. right in the middle if you have a shorter bead) until the glass starts to move, keep your mandrel completely parallel to the table and continue to rotate the mandrel until you have the "wave" you desire!

In the case of my longer bead, I did that three times.

Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-10-24 at 1:31pm.
Old 2008-10-24, 1:35pm
Fancy Mammal

Haley mostly took the words out of my mouth - I was just going to say try doing a search for "gravity bead".
Old 2008-10-24, 1:38pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie D. View Post
What bother me equally is people actually answering this kind of questions…
Please do NOT tell me that you are now chastising me for posting picture of my own bead and sharing how I made it with a fellow lampworker!?!?!?!?!

ETA: I read Sylvie's post AFTER I have already shown my bead and share my techniques, not that it would have stopped me from doing so.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-10-24 at 1:43pm. Reason: addition
Old 2008-10-24, 1:59pm
Ad astra per aspera

Good grief, are we going to start pissing and moaning over teaching common techniques??? It's not as if gravity swirls are something secret and propriety, for chrissakes. The freaking ROMANS were making them!!!!

Old 2008-10-24, 2:07pm
moth to the flame

Thank you for saying what I had been thinking.

Old 2008-10-24, 2:11pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
Good grief, are we going to start pissing and moaning over teaching common techniques??? It's not as if gravity swirls are something secret and propriety, for chrissakes. The freaking ROMANS were making them!!!!

I agree. That's what this forum is for. If people feel offended and want
to hold back secrets on how THEY do it, then that's their business.
However that doesn't mean that the rest of us shut our brains down.

She's not asking for the whole bread and butter of this technique - just
the basic method used. Sort of like how to make a round bead. I wouldn't
hold back on telling someone how to do THAT either.
If it's something specific to someone's teaching methods then I usually will
not share the details - however gravity beads have been discussed to death
and it's not like giving away mom's secret recipe.

It's not like telling her how it's made will make her an expert anyway. She's
going to have to be able to understand the info and also practice it a lot.

...and yes - that's a gravity swirl bead. You can find other posts on how to
make them all over the web. It's all heat control and using a marver to move
the glass where you want it, then reshaping the bead.

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend Smartflix.com.
Right now they have a rental special on ALL of Jim's
DVDs http://smartflix.com/store/video/144...ch-Makes-Beads
I've rented many DVDs from them and ended up buying them because
I referred back to them so much.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Last edited by Karen Hardy; 2008-10-24 at 2:16pm.
Old 2008-10-24, 2:20pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post

This may not exactly like the wavy beads you have in mind, but the concept is similar. . . gravity swirl.

Put stripes of glass from hole to hole on your base beads (perhaps start with four stripes, two of each color), heat a portion of it (e.g. right in the middle if you have a shorter bead) until the glass starts to move, keep your mandrel completely parallel to the table and continue to rotate the mandrel until you have the "wave" you desire!

In the case of my longer bead, I did that three times.

Hope this helps.
That is a beautiful bead, Hayley!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-24, 2:23pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
Yeah - why do we even have a "Tips, Techniques and Questions" section if a common technique is top secret or, heaven forbid, in a tutorial?? This is getting freaking annoying.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-24, 2:27pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie D. View Post
It might not be that easy to understand now what I’m going to say because the pictures have been removed. I don’t want to cause a heated discussion here, but let me just say this, and I hope it is not going to come out wrong, I don’t want to offend or hurt anyone, and I’m not pointing fingers at anyone either.I just want to get something out of chest: in another thread, people got upset because someone posted a picture without the OK of the artist… After reading it all, I can understand why. But what bother me even more, is people asking not to the artist who made the bead but on a forum… for other people to tear the bead apart trying to figure it out…. What bother me equally is people actually answering this kind of questions… I totally understand the desire for people to share and help other, but only to a certain extend... but it's hard to draw the right limit...

If someone doesn’t want spend too much time experimenting, there are tutorials, books and classes…
Of course, it’s a different story if it is a basic technique, but then a tut should exist already.

My 2 cents of advice : what don’t you try to pm or email the artist and ask her if this technique is in the tut that she has for sale… I’m sure she will tell you at least that, and if you buy the tut, she might be willing to give you some advice since you’re a newbie.
I don't think anyone has the right to dictate to another person whether or not they share something they know. Just because you choose not to doesn't mean I can't. I see where you're coming from, but it's just not right to expect others to abide by your opinion on something - their opinion is apparently different.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-24, 3:03pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I don't think anyone has the right to dictate to another person whether or not they share something they know. Just because you choose not to doesn't mean I can't. I see where you're coming from, but it's just not right to expect others to abide by your opinion on something - their opinion is apparently different.
Love you, Squidley!!!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-10-24, 3:07pm
Ad astra per aspera

Haley, wow, that bead is gorgeous!!!!! I can do single ripples, but multiples make me nuts.

Old 2008-10-24, 3:29pm
Sheryll

Hayley, I think that's close but not quite the technique the OP had posted pics of. BTW, that is one gorgeous beady... is that new? I don't remember seeing that before.

Not to belabour, the issue but FWIW, the reason that I chose not to state how to make the bead, was because the orignal post had a pic of someone else's beads - the way I read the post was how do I make these beads? Maybe not what what the OP wrote but that's how I read it. [I could've easily skewed the message in my head, life's been kinda nuts lately, so if I'm mistaken, I apologize.] I didn't feel comfortable sharing the technique since I know that artist taught classes - totally forgot that they also had a tut for sale. And I figured the best way to handle this would be for the OP to contact the artist.

Old 2008-10-24, 3:30pm
Storm Queen

So much for PM'ing the OP and asking her to remove the artist's pics before it got ugly.

Old 2008-10-24, 3:55pm
da General

Thank you everyone for the kind words on my bead.

Sheryll - gravity swirl will always be gravity swirl . . . the basics are the same, the colors you use and how much you swirl determine the end result.

You saw that bead . . . Quince traded for it before you did at the Gathering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
So much for PM'ing the OP and asking her to remove the artist's pics before it got ugly.
The way this forum has been lately, it was going to get ugly the moment the question was asked . . . . . . the pics were removed quickly tho or it might have been worse!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-10-24, 4:07pm
Ezzy

I simply cannot believe some of the complete unadulterated BS I read here. If you can't ask a simple question about lampworking why bother having a forum? Talk about attempted censorship...

Thanks to all of you who spoke up on this issue.

By the way, Hayley, thank you for sharing your beautiful bead (as always) AND METHOD with us.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2008-10-24, 4:08pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Yeah - why do we even have a "Tips, Techniques and Questions" section if a common technique is top secret or, heaven forbid, in a tutorial?? This is getting freaking annoying.
Perhaps they should get that section changed to "Tips, Techniques but NO Questions"

I think some people forget how it was like to be a newbie . . . I haven't forgotten since I have only been doing this for a little bit over two years and my memory is still good! lol!

For anyone new to lampworking, they have NO idea which techniques are "proprietary" and which ones are basics. They see something cool and want to know how it's done . . . like a kid in a toy store, wanting to play with everything. It's up to us more "seasoned" members to PRIVATELY let them know when something is a no no . . . such as posting pictures of someone else's beads. . .

As for asking questions, ASK away! Some of us still remember that this is a friendly place!

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-10-24 at 4:14pm. Reason: typos and addition
Old 2008-10-24, 4:11pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
yep!

Old 2008-10-24, 4:20pm
Sheryll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Sheryll - gravity swirl will always be gravity swirl . . . the basics are the same, the colors you use and how much you swirl determine the end result.

You saw that bead . . . Quince traded for it before you did at the Gathering!
That's why I don't remember it, Quincy snagged it before I could... lol!

I guess the difference was that I didn't think it was a gravity bead. I would made the bead(s) differently (not using the gravity swirl) so I thought it was a different technique. I would still say that the OP should've asked the artist first but I feel like I'm missing something with the whole censorship thing? I don't get it?