No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-20, 5:51am
flight risk

Default frit and... devit? bubbling?

Hi all. I made some frit bead sets over the weekend. Two were fine, but two had tiny pits around the edges of the frit pieces... I could see them forming around the frit as I was melting it in. Am I working too hot? Is it a color reaction? (One was blue/green/brown frit on sky blue, one was pink/red/? frit on white.) I'm hoping I can etch them and they will look better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-20, 7:58am

I am curious about this as well. I use all 96 coe glass and have experienced this with as well - not a lot but just enough to bug me. Almost always on the heavily fritted beads.
Old 2011-09-20, 12:32pm
Queen Tut ;)

Some colors devit worse than others when you're working with glass. You can try working quicker and cooler. Or if you can figure out what color is doing the bad stuff, add that part last.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-09-20, 12:38pm
Did someone say SALE?

Robin Koza of Glass Diversions has told me if you start way back in the cooler part of the flame first, before you move into the hotter flame you won't get all that bubbling. Hope that helps!!
Old 2011-09-20, 12:44pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassyEyedGirl View Post
Robin Koza of Glass Diversions has told me if you start way back in the cooler part of the flame first, before you move into the hotter flame you won't get all that bubbling. Hope that helps!!
Yep, that's what I do, it helps!

Old 2011-09-22, 3:53pm

Thanks Beth - that's a great tip!
Old 2011-09-22, 5:29pm
flight risk

Hmmm, so it is me and my lack of patience, rather than the colors. I'll try to slow down and work cooler. In the meantime, I've made lots of beads that need to be etched!

Old 2011-09-23, 4:03am
one day at a time

The one that is at the very top of the list for pits and bubbles is copper blue. I won't even work with it that often because of that. But for the blends that have this color or other colors that pit, this is what I do:

Work slowly of course, but even then you will see tiny flashes of bubbling while you are working. Those will leave a pit, so after you have shaped your bead well you must go move your it to the back of the flame to firepolish out the bubbles and pits. Pay special attention to the area around the holes. This may not get all of them out, but it helps significantly. If they are still too pitty, then etching is your best bet.
Old 2011-09-23, 5:23am
flight risk

Thanks, Lisi!

Old 2011-09-23, 9:59am

YES! The copper blues... think about how your turquoise transparent moretti will pit and scum when you marver it, sometimes.... we have the same problem with Taxco (our TAG reducing transparent turquoise.) We recently made Taxco into frit, and I found that heating slower and higher in the fire was the ticket for that, and I had better results with the fine than the medium or the coarse grades o frit. I do know it has something to do with the thin edges, the edges of the frit chips are thin and tend to easily overheat. Just like how the end of your rod will fizz when first put into the flame.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid