Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-09-02, 7:03am

Default My first shop

Thanks to my dear hubby, I have been able to get my own little shop started. We still need to insulate the interior, but we have until winter to deal with that. Until now I have been working on the front porch and anywhere else I could get out of the wind. I do not post much on here, but I figure this might help me break out of my shell and get me started.

My son gifted me with most of my frit and I am a very grateful mom. My dear hubby has worked very hard on getting it this far, the shed was a gift from him too. Thanks to his encouragement and support, I am an "official home based business" here in Oklahoma.

I made my first bead on June 6, 2009 (kuddos to Debbie Gwaltney) and I have been head over heels ever since. My torch is a mini cc and I run in on propane and a generator. I love this little torch, it is a dream to work with. It will always be "my" torch...and my beads are my babies, my "firebabies".

My mom and dad live next door, the chairs are for them to be able to come by and visit. My dad had a welding shop when I was growing up, that is where I learned to play in the fire. They are both nearing 80 and they love to sit and visit while I torch. Dad gave me my first torch(one of his welding torches) to bead with, it is so old I cannot find parts to fit it. But what a treasure to have one of his torches to display in my shop. (gotta get my husband to make a shadow box for me)

So many of you have been able to set up shops. Seeing all of yours and knowing the effort and expense you go to, makes me appreciate even more all of the artists on this site. I have so much to learn and everyone on here has helped me to become a better artist in one way or another. There is so much more to learn and practice, practice, practice......to be anywhere near the rest of you. Everyone on this site has been generous and supportive to anyone needing it. I am happy to have chosen this road to travel on and to everyone who is on this site on a regular basis, whether you are visible or invisible....thank you!!
maryc
firebabies

Last edited by firebabies; 2010-09-03 at 6:06am.
Old 2010-09-02, 8:23am
MacGalver

What a sweet studio! Kudos to you and your family. But where is the picture of your Dad's old torch? We want to see that, too~ Congratulations on being set up to pursue your new adventure.

Jo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-09-02, 9:52am

lol! I am waiting for my hubby to make the shadow box to put it in. When I get a chance I will add a pic of it. It is an old victor welding torch, can't buy the adapters for it and dad doesn't have any that we can find. oh well, I promise to take pics!

Thanks Jo, I appreciate it.

maryc
Old 2010-09-29, 8:14pm

sweeeet
Old 2010-10-01, 8:45pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

I think it's awesome! Great job!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Old 2010-10-04, 3:54pm
Salt Box Beads

Very comfy, and inviting. Nice job!
Old 2010-10-05, 9:08am
LunaMoth

I think it's a beautiful nice and light place. Did you go behind the torch already? And how was it? Feeling like a princess?
Old 2010-10-07, 8:36am
I try anything

That is a great idea for a studio. I'm not sure where you live, but does it not being insulated create any problems for you?
Old 2010-10-13, 8:37pm

I haven't been checking in on this lately, I have been very busy...so I do apologise. I have been behind the torch before the pics were taken. I couldn't wait to get started.

Insulation? During the summer, not so much to worry about. The air conditioner kept it tolerable. I am in Oklahoma so the summers are blast furnaces and in the winter....north pole. So we have to get the insulation up before long.

All your comments were so nice and made my day!! Thank you so much. I cannot believe I got everything I needed to get started and a building. I wish everyone the best on getting started and keeping it going. If you do it for the love of the art, and not the money you hope to make....it makes it much easier. At least it does for me.

Thanks again everyone, I really do appreciate it.

maryc
firebabies
Old 2010-10-14, 10:28am
I speak Murrini!

Oh, this is magnifico!!! To have a little "home away from home" - and right at home - oh, how I dream of having such a cute little shed building! Congrats to you! Enjoy it!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-10-14, 11:36am
Biscuit Lover

I love the idea of your parents visiting and watching you work. My dad would've loved that. He was a tinkerer and had an appreciation for things that were handmade.
Old 2010-10-15, 9:52pm

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate it. Kathleen, my parents are going to be 80. Your comment touched me because I like the saying......" you can always find a way to make more money, but you can never make more time. " I know your dad would have loved it.

DeAnne, I wouldn't have had this if my husband hadn't insisted. I was really hesitant about the payments, but he said he would take care of it and he has. If you lived closer I would share with you!!
Old 2010-10-26, 12:43pm
Loving learning

Seeing your new torching home gave me a little goose bumpy thrill, and how great that your parents enjoy watching & visiting with you while you create!