No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-04-24, 12:13pm

Question Need some help with Oxycons

Hello everybody
I'm a newbie girl, just infected by this wonderful illness called lampwork. I started with my little HH one month ago but the "fever and needings" are growing too fast and now "I know" I need a bigger torch
I have been reading in this forum about growing up and expectations and I have decided to go for a GTT Lynx with a 10 LPM -15 psi oxycon for my preferences: soft glass and little-medium boro (oxy tank is not an easy-available option here in my country (Spain)).
What is the problem? It is really difficult or impossible to find oxycons here in Spain and I think there is a lot of custom troubles if I buy one from USA sellers.
I have been watching the Tuffnellglass site, and they sell a 10LPM oxy, but with 8-11 psi. Is that enough when the Lynx requeriments are 15-20 psi? I'm sure this is a silly question and sorry for bothering about that, but I'm really confused and need some help. Is that pression enough to run the Lynx in perfect capacity, or the psi issue is so important as to think in going for troubles with Customs, energy transformers, different gauges and adaptators and so on?

If you know anything about this issue, I would be delighted to know from your experience and opinions, mates.
Also, if there are any european lampworkers that could send me any advice, or any knowledge about oxy sellers in Europe, I'd really really appreciate that.
Thanks in advance
Old 2015-04-24, 12:21pm
I fart diamonds

It will run, but not at full capacity. Get 2 oxycons, if you can, or a smaller torch. The Bobcat will run better on a single concentrator (still not 100%), and the Cricket will run like a champ. Next option is to build a holding tank if you can't do 2 oxycons and don't want to change your torch choice.

http://web.archive.org/web/200905280.../Tutorials.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-04-24, 12:35pm

Thank you so much for your advices, Shawnette. Maybe you are right and perhaps I need to think in a smaller torch. It's just I was very excited thinking about the Lynx, but if I'm going to find so many troubles, then I don't know...
Again thanks!!
Old 2015-04-24, 1:26pm
I fart diamonds

Since you're just getting started, I would suggest the Cricket. It will run beautifully on a single concentrator. The 10lpm will power it at 100% and you can actually work fairly large on it.

Old 2015-04-24, 1:32pm
I fart diamonds

Made on a Cricket:

Hollow fish, 50.2mm tall, 59.3mm long

Old 2015-04-24, 2:12pm

Yeah!! Very very nice. You are right, thanks a lot for the advice, it was very helpful!!! :hug:
Old 2015-04-24, 4:18pm
Phill

And I will point out that torches seem to hold their value when you decide to buy a new one and sell the Cricket.

There are a few people her that use a Cricket to work larger beads and marbles and some even use it to work boro glass which takes more heat than the softer glasses.

Welcome to the addiction.

Oh and .........

There are no silly questions.
Old 2015-04-24, 11:47pm

Thank you very much Speedslug!
I have been reading a lot about the GTT Cricket now, and I think is perfect for me. And then the new question comes after reading a thread of Scorpion lovers: maybe could it be the best purchase? A Cricket for the inner fire and the chance to grow up with the external fire for the complete Scorpion? It needs low pressure and also low LPM. What do you think, mates?
Old 2015-04-25, 1:12am
Phill

Is there any possibility of getting oxygen in tanks like that used for welding?

Lots of torch owners with inner and outer fire controls use tanks on the big outer flame and oxygen concentrators on the inner flame.
Old 2015-04-25, 4:14am

An oxygen tank is difficult to get here. I think it has a lot of medical and security regulations, and also for registered jewelry workships only. To be honest, I have to go to ask to a oxygen supplier here in my city, but I'm pretty sure it will be very difficult to get, with many obstacles, and probably very expensive.
Can the Scorpion run with the proper oxycons, but not tanks?
Old 2015-04-25, 4:17am

From the Netherlands here, and never seriously considered oxytanks either. Too expensive, and too much hassle.

I work on a cricket with a 5 lpm concentrator. I do soft glass and small stuff in boro. For me, it works just fine and I do not feel the need for a bigger torch.

I bought my concentrator from Jock's glass. However, I do not know if they still sell them. I do know that most Dutch sellers will not ship it, but require a pick up. So that would not work for you.
Old 2015-04-25, 4:30am

Thanks for the answer, Floorkasp. Yes, it will be difficult to go to the Netherlands just to pick the oxycon, but for sure it would be wonderful to get it if I were on holidays visiting your country.
Mmmmm....That is a good option for this summer, now I think about that!!
Old 2015-04-25, 7:34am
Phill

To answer your question yes the Scorpion will run with the proper oxycons if you can not get tanks.

You will need a couple oxycons and the more liters per minute with higher pressures you can get from each machine the better it will be if you need to work very hot or very large.

It's probably best to get 2 or 3 of the same machines if you are going to use them together.
That way the will have the same LPM and the same pressures.

Shawnette had good advice about looking into getting a holding tank that can help with the times when you want to get real hot for a little while. It acts kind of like a reserve tank. The pressure is not any higher but you can save up a large volume of oxygen and it will get you that "just a little more"
heat when you need it.

I have one of the medical tank refilling machines that can fill one of the 3 foot tall oxygen tanks you may have seen people take along with them in public.

They take the out put from an oxycon and compress it to 1500 psi or more.

It is called a Invacare Homefil II and I have seen them sold for about $700 here in the US.
I have no idea how you would go about finding one in Spain.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-04-25 at 7:39am.
Old 2015-04-25, 8:22am

Thank you very much Speedslug. I have learnt a lot from this thread. I will look for the Invacare Homefil or anything similar that I could get here in my country. Again thanks!!
Old 2015-04-27, 1:34am

Great news! I went this morning to the oxygen supplier here in my city and yes, they supply oxygen without any difficult!! No obstacles, no impediments, it's really easy and not as expensive as I thought!!
As you say in your signature, Speedslug, I was being very pessimistic, so now I'm pleasantly surprised!!
It's time to order my Scorpion and be in the waiting list, yeah!!!!
Old 2015-04-27, 6:51am
Phill

That's great news!!!!!
Old 2015-04-27, 10:51am
I fart diamonds

Well, If you're going with tanked oxy, I'd go back to getting the Lynx. (I know. Confusing, lol.)

Old 2015-04-27, 12:09pm

Haha, OMG, now I'm totally confused!! Maybe the Lynx is too big for a newbie
I will have decision nightmares until payday (just in 4 days) and go to GTT and write my requesting purchase!!
Old 2015-04-27, 1:14pm
Phill

Aye confusion is an indication of this glass addiction.

Shawnette is just pointing out that if you go with oxycons then one type of torch will get you more return on your investment but if you are going to use tanked oxygen then the other torch will get a better result for your money.

For those of us with limited hours melting glass the difference between the torches is probably not going to be very obvious but after you have gotten good at getting the glass to do what you want it to do then you will be happier that you got one torch rather the other.

I will mention that you should double check that the torch you decide to get is going to be available to ship in a short period of time.
I have heard that some models of torches have a large backlog of orders and the one you want might not be made for half a year or more.
Old 2015-04-27, 2:59pm

Ok, thank you and Shawnette so much for the advice. It's really appreciated!!