Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-06-02, 2:52am

Yowzer! Love that bead, Amy!

Karla, I think you've got it! Like I had said about the color, black cherry - a deep sort of garnet color rather than a vibrant pink purple and red. I think that's a true boro like color. You've done a good job with the technique.

I'll have to try to copper green!

PS - Hi Anne! Long time no "see!"

Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-06-02, 5:11am
Detail G-Mama!

Hey Cindy! Where ya been?

Old 2006-06-03, 2:46am
PELE

Wow!!! It's so awesome to see what everyone's doing!!!

lynne

Old 2006-06-03, 3:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts
Hey Cindy! Where ya been?

Hey, Annie!! I looked around on WC one day and everyone was gone! Took me awhile to find people!

So I don't highjack the thread - here are a couple I made with a medium grass green transparent. Not so boro looking but pretty!
Attached Images

Old 2006-06-03, 6:30pm

Amy - Way awesome beads. Great colors. When I tried on CG, I got a brown mess. This is just lovely.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-06-03, 8:21pm
Life is change. Love it

I just tried on copper green and got the same brown reaction. What the heck did you do to get those colours ???!!!

Old 2006-06-03, 8:30pm
Brainy McSmartypants

Thanks, Lara And Carolyn, I have no idea...LOL.. I know I used red copper green though

Amy K

Old 2006-06-16, 5:55am
Detail G-Mama!

Thought I would add what I did with the iris gold and yellow stringer. On top of silvered ivory it look pretty cool!
Attached Images

Old 2006-06-16, 8:27am
Brainy McSmartypants

Holy moly, Anne, those are AWESOME!!

Amy K

Old 2006-06-16, 8:32am
Detail G-Mama!

Thanks Amy! I loved watching these 'bloom"!

Old 2006-06-16, 2:11pm

Quote:
Thought I would add what I did with the iris gold and yellow stringer. On top of silvered ivory it look pretty cool!

OMG ANNE!! Those are fantastic!!!
Please tell me you used some kind of fancy cane for all the black lines!!!
And you used a yellow instead of the handpulled brown huh????

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2006-06-16, 3:48pm
Detail G-Mama!

The cane is just a black and clear twisty and I think I used the pale yellow, not the brown. I don't remember which yellow, I just know it's not the striking!

Old 2006-06-17, 12:32pm

Wow those are really beautiful!!
Old 2006-07-26, 5:16am

I tried this technique yesterday and had only problems. All the beads I made with the brown or yellow with iris gold stringer cracked although I used only a little of the iris frit. I used Vetrofond for encasing. Should I rather take Lauscha clear??? The beads that I left unencased had a dark smoky surface, just as if I had reduced them, but I have only worked in a neutral flame . HELP!!!
With the silvered rubino oro, I only got very little color reactions, almost unnoticeable
Could anyone help please?
Greetings from an awfully hot Luxembourg

Old 2006-07-26, 9:29am
Floral Obsessed

If you have a concentrated amount of furnace glass frit in one spot, you can still get compatibility cracks even if it's a small percentage of the overall bead weight. Were you adding iris gold stringer to a base of straw yellow or light brown, or were you using a stringer of yellow or brown roleld in iris gold frit? Pure iris gold stringer can potentially cause cracking, especially if it's partially encased.

It's a slightly fussy technique and doesn't always work.. but try this. Make a glob of light brown ( 018 ) and roll it in iris gold frit. Melt in and roll it again, then pull a 1mm stringer. Make a small spacer bead in cobalt, black or striking red. Squiggle the fo-bo stringer along the centre of the bead. Melt flat. Encase in clear without smearing the stringer. Don't leave any exposed if possible. Shape gently without distorting. Voila... You should see the reactions. Then you can experiment with different designs.

As for silvered rubino oro, you need a fair amount of silver to get a strong reaction. One layer of leaf on a grape-sized gather won't have much impact when it's pulled to 1mm. But 3 wraps of foil over an inch of 5mm rod, pulled to 1mm will probably be cooler. A sure-fire way to get coolness (I call it ruby jade effect) is just to scroll normal rubino stringer onto a silvered base... Try it on silvered cobalt. Mmmm!!!

Have fun! -Heather

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2006-07-26 at 9:31am.
Old 2006-07-26, 11:57pm

Hi Heather!
Thank you very much for your help! Reading your suggestions for the silverd rubino answers my question: I only used one leaf of silver foil for a thick gather of glass. I will try with several pieces of foil tonight!
For the other faux-boro: I melted a blob of light brown and rolled it in iris gold frit, only once, then I melted the frit in and pulled it into stringer. Same for the straw yellow. Yesterday I used the stringer on a dark ivory base, put dots on with the stringer and only a little dab of clear on top of the stringer dot and I got a very nice reaction. I will go on experimenting tonight!
Greetings!

Old 2006-08-25, 11:29am
Pyromaniac

I tried this technique... Fun, easy, and beautiful! I got some interesting reactions. I choes striking carnelian, opal yellow and mosaic green for my first attempts:

3 pix of the same beads, from different angles:

The striking carnelian gave me greeny colors, the mosaic green showed dark blues, and the opal yellow yielded a greeny background with almost ultraviolet purples overtones.

I love it!
Old 2006-09-13, 5:18pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Anne - your beads have always been some of the most beautiful on LE. The detail astounds me and this set is no exception!
Old 2006-09-13, 5:23pm
Detail G-Mama!

Thanks Laurie! I've been in an experiemental mood lately, maybe I'll revisit that color combo again soon!

Old 2006-09-15, 8:13am

Has anyone tried something similar with Bullseye?

Thank-you
Lynda
Old 2006-09-15, 3:08pm

Ok, I've been playing with this technique for months now, LOL

Stuff I've learned.

1) any transparent iris reichenbach (which I'm sure I misspelled) does cool things. Some you have to use a lot less of...like night violet, I think. exception: black, it might do something cool, but I can't see a thing.

2) you can vary what you get from it by how much frit goes on your gather.

examples: Iris green will make blue beads, if you roll a gather between the size of a big grape and a small walnut in the frit once. Same size gather done twice makes green beads. Base color seems to make no difference with green, violet, and blue, so I'm using black now.

I played hard today trying to get purple with light iris gold, because the iris night violet I'm still fighting really hard with to get consistent results-tends to be too dark to see well, but in super bright daylight, they're cool, LOL. I found that if I rolled the gather in iris gold once, I got blues and purples on opaque red beads-not on yellows or pinks that I tried. If I rolled it twice, I got greens and yellows. I've got to play with this with the amber green.

3) some of them work without encasing.

4) really fun technique

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2006-09-15, 4:14pm
Detail G-Mama!

Pics??? Please???

Old 2006-09-15, 5:12pm

Quote:
Pics??? Please???

'k...let me see...I don't have pics of the ones from today, yet. I'll take some tomorrow, if they (and the sunlight, LOL) cooperate. I don't have pictures of the violet ones, either. Haven't even tried, since I can't replicate it every time. Pretty sure it's one dip on a large gather, then heavily encase, but I haven't felt like messing with it since the last time, when out of 9 beads only 3 or 4 had a visible reaction. It didn't like spot encasing.

this one is one of the blue iris frits, on I think black.

This iris green, on black again (I think)

Blue, on something (like I said, with these ones it really doesn't matter) but it shows the encased vs not encased thing.

Iris green, same thing

Now, these...they're all with iris green. The blue one has stringer (well, twisties) with just one dip of iris green. The green one has two. On transparent cobalt blue, probably.

This is iris opal yellow. Wish I could make it do something, but I still like it. Bidders didn't, though, LOL. I have an idea to try with this one sometime.

And the familiar...light iris gold, probably dipped twice guessing by the colors, but on the thin end of the twistie. On black

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2006-09-15, 5:15pm
Detail G-Mama!

Those are gawgeous!!!!

Old 2006-09-15, 5:19pm

awww...thanks

oh! if you don't encase it, it likes to pit a bit, too.

Old 2006-09-15, 5:31pm

OH WOW that green is just electric!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful!!!!

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2006-09-16, 11:13am
<--- Time traveler

Wow - those are fantastic. Those green ones are very malachite-y, and the blue ones - good grief! I think they're great.
Old 2006-09-16, 1:43pm

thanks

I'm thinking I might oughta make more of the green ones, LOL. The last blue set didn't find a new home, so it's still here.

Old 2006-09-16, 4:13pm

ok...here's the pinky purple I mentioned...

and the violet ones-I think I need to photograph those earlier in the day, with more sunlight.

Old 2006-09-19, 6:19pm
Following my Dream

Will Lt. Iris Gold Frit work ?

My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...