Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-30, 5:39pm

Default Frit colors

I am having issues with frit. I use a hot head torch with mapp gas. I have some beautiful frits that I have purchased, but every time I use them, instead of the lovely colors I expect....I get muddy yucky colors. What am I doing wrong?

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2011-05-30, 5:58pm

It would greatly depend on the frit. I'm sure someone here can help you but they would need to know that first.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2011-05-30, 6:04pm
Live and Let Live

There might be certain glasses in the blend that are reactive, or are reduction glass. So it could be a matter of the base glass you're using, reacting with one or more colors in the frit blend. Or, the fact that a HH torch is by nature a more reducing atmosphere (not as oxygen rich as a dual-fuel can be).

Try using a non-reactive base glass, like a white or periwinkle, and work far out in the flame when melting in the frit. You may see more colorful results this way.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-30, 6:06pm

definitely move out in the flame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-05-30, 6:19pm
Lampworkaholic!

Less can be more with frit. Make a round base bead, then make a wrap of the same color. Roll just the wrap in the frit and slowly melt in. Allow the frit to spread out and move. Avoid Ivory, Yellow, Orange and Green as base colors. White is always nice.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-05-31, 8:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
There might be certain glasses in the blend that are reactive, or are reduction glass. So it could be a matter of the base glass you're using, reacting with one or more colors in the frit blend. Or, the fact that a HH torch is by nature a more reducing atmosphere (not as oxygen rich as a dual-fuel can be).

Try using a non-reactive base glass, like a white or periwinkle, and work far out in the flame when melting in the frit. You may see more colorful results this way.

Good luck!
I may be holding it too close to the flame....I will try taking my time and moving farther away. Thank you all for your tips I really appreciate it.

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2011-06-02, 2:56pm

try using a small amount of frit on say white and see if you can get it to look good..i have seen some people use soooo much frit that it goes yucky and blah..less is more to start off