Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-07-18, 2:29pm

Default Tanks? Liquid? Concentrators?

Im currently running of alot of tanked oxy. I looked into a liquid set up but they said my shop wasnt able to hold it. (its a large system and upwards of 600 pounds when full.) So i gave up on liquid and im now looking for concentrators. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is.

I share a shop with my business associate and Im running a Barracuda and he runs a CC. We both share tanks with a splitter. Wondering what we would need to power both torches? or would we be better off using seperate concentrators. Plz help me out

Ben

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2007-07-18, 2:46pm
yukue fumei

Hi Ben-
I'm currently looking for generators for bigger torches and wrote to OnSite. They suggested the Onsite Pro-8
http://www.onsitegas.com/onsite_prod...cts_code=n2pro
we are researching this out--I am still on tanks. I would love to hear others' response too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-07-18, 2:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
Hi Ben-
I'm currently looking for generators for bigger torches and wrote to OnSite. They suggested the Onsite Pro-8
http://www.onsitegas.com/onsite_prod...cts_code=n2pro
we are researching this out--I am still on tanks. I would love to hear others' response too!
The onsite needs large compress to run them and the conpressors are LOUD!!!
Old 2007-07-18, 2:55pm
yukue fumei

like "needs to be in another building" loud? I guess that won't work for residental midnight marbling.....sigh
hmmm...very good to know. Thanks jokersdesign!
Maybe it is something for when/if we get an industrial space....

nagi

Old 2007-07-18, 2:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadymilkman23 View Post
Im currently running of alot of tanked oxy. I looked into a liquid set up but they said my shop wasnt able to hold it. (its a large system and upwards of 600 pounds when full.) So i gave up on liquid and im now looking for concentrators. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is.

I share a shop with my business associate and Im running a Barracuda and he runs a CC. We both share tanks with a splitter. Wondering what we would need to power both torches? or would we be better off using seperate concentrators. Plz help me out

Ben
I would say get liquid. Call other oxygen supply if they say your shop is to small.

I wanted liquid and they first gave me the same line of bs and other bs. But if you keep on them they will give you liquid. In fact they never said I could not have liquid, they just would not deliver me liquid oxygen. I would have to transport it to and from my house.

Think of it this way. I paid like $150 per refill of liquid oxygen and it lasted about 4-6 weeks.

I paid $25 per oxygen tank refill and at 3 refills a week = $450 a month.

Your oxygen company has a reason why they don't want you to have liquid.
Old 2007-07-18, 2:58pm
product of the universe

Quote:
I looked into a liquid set up but they said my shop wasnt able to hold it
Were you plalnning on storing the liquid inside?

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2007-07-18, 3:17pm
ManBearPig

The weight of a generator would be more than a liquid tank.

And, like Chris said... your liquid tank should be outside anyways.

Old 2007-07-18, 8:12pm

Before I can get LOX I will have to pour a concrete walkway and pad so the oxy guys can get the unit to where my studio is. Plus, I am a little concerned with it venting at night during the summer and pissing the neighbors off.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-07-18, 8:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
The weight of a generator would be more than a liquid tank.

And, like Chris said... your liquid tank should be outside anyways.
I never knew this. I know of 3 people with liquid oxygen and all were inside. I though as long as you vent the the exaust vent outside then your ok.

I'll have to ask my oxygen supply guy next time, or maybe not
Old 2007-07-18, 8:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
Before I can get LOX I will have to pour a concrete walkway and pad so the oxy guys can get the unit to where my studio is. Plus, I am a little concerned with it venting at night during the summer and pissing the neighbors off.
I don't know if they are all the same but my tank did not vent loud. it started as a slow wisp, and then would get louder over the next 12 hours until it sounded like when you release air from a tire. not very load or bad at all. and if you vent it out with a long hose outside you hear almost nothing.
Old 2007-07-19, 4:11am
product of the universe

i've had a few tanks that would scare the crap outta ya when they blew off.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2007-07-19, 5:35am
ManBearPig

You can manually vent the tanks as well. That way you can plan it out so it doesn't vent at 2 in the morning or anything.

Old 2007-07-19, 8:08am

Quote:
You can manually vent the tanks as well. That way you can plan it out so it doesn't vent at 2 in the morning or anything.
I also read on another forum that there is an adjustable screw that allows you to adjust how fast the tank build presure so it don't vent at all and long as your using the tank.
Old 2007-07-19, 9:00am
Skeptical Optimist

Damn, I can't have liquid
Their trucks are 10 tons and aren't allowed in residential areas over here, and the tank weighs 600+ pounds full...

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-07-19, 9:26am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokersdesign View Post
I also read on another forum that there is an adjustable screw that allows you to adjust how fast the tank build presure so it don't vent at all and long as your using the tank.
As long as you are using it regularly it shouldn't vent anyways.

Old 2007-07-19, 9:42am

Quote:
As long as you are using it regularly it shouldn't vent anyways.
I agree if your using large torches like a tiger shark , mirage, etc. maybe even a phantom or barracuda.

But those on minors, and Lynx, mini cc will have a hard time using enough oxygen to prevent it from venting.
Old 2007-07-19, 9:46am
ManBearPig

True. But I don't see any benefit to running a small torch on liquid...

Old 2007-07-19, 9:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdCreations View Post
Damn, I can't have liquid
Their trucks are 10 tons and aren't allowed in residential areas over here, and the tank weighs 600+ pounds full...
You know if you have a truck to tranport it to your house it is not all that bad.

The first time I got liquid I had the oxygen supply company load it into the back of a truck. when I got it home we had to use a dolly and a home made ramp to get it out of the back of the truck.

once on the ground you can tip it on the bottom edge and roll in into place in your garage etc.
Old 2007-07-19, 9:49am
Skeptical Optimist

Not sure how to load it into and out of the truck at that weight, maybe a winch?
Looking into another company that used a home oxygen therapy company to deliver dewers, so if they service my area then it's cool

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-07-19, 9:51am

Quote:
True. But I don't see any benefit to running a small torch on liquid...
Cost.

On a Lynx I would go through 2-2 1/2 or 3 tanks a week if I worked 40+ hours a week. at a cost of $25 a tank refill that's $450 for 6 weeks and 1 liquid oxygen tank would last 6 weeks at a price of $150 per refill.
Old 2007-07-19, 9:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdCreations View Post
Not sure how to load it into and out of the truck at that weight, maybe a winch?
Looking into another company that used a home oxygen therapy company to deliver dewers, so if they service my area then it's cool
The oxygen company would load it into the truck for us and we just had to unload it when we got home.

It's not fun, but not to bad.

If you can find a company the will deliver to your home then that is the way to go for sure.
Old 2007-07-19, 11:22am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokersdesign View Post
Cost.

On a Lynx I would go through 2-2 1/2 or 3 tanks a week if I worked 40+ hours a week. at a cost of $25 a tank refill that's $450 for 6 weeks and 1 liquid oxygen tank would last 6 weeks at a price of $150 per refill.
Hi jokersdesign-
are you working alone or in a group? My Oxy guy says I can't possibly use a liquid because I would waste most of it in venting, because I would be the only one using it. I don't think it is true, but am curious how much actual venting happens. I do have a day job, but at night and weekends I am trying to torch as much as I can. Sometimes maybe 2 tanks(300's) a week, and that is trying to conserve Oxy. Is this still not enough usage to get the most out of a liquid tank?
thanks so much!!

nagi

Old 2007-07-19, 11:33am

ya know, that is BS. Some suppliers are so full of it.
I run a cheetah and in the last 3 weeks have never had it vent off. I work about 6-8 hours a night but there have been days that I have not worked.
the biggest problem I have is not having enough gas in the dewar. Stuff starts getting really cold on top. you just turn the pressure builder knob to build some pressure and you are good to go.

it is not that hard to transport it. they load it with a fork truck in the back of my truck. i am buying a can cart but they let me borrow one for the night.
put some ramps up to the back of the truck and have 2 guys to get it out. easy peezy.

Old 2007-07-19, 11:35am

I pay 90$ a fill. not sure how long it will last me cause its my first one.
I was spending 500$ a month on tanks.

compare the power costs of running a concentrator and an aircompressor. I am assuming that it still wouldnt save me much $

Old 2007-07-19, 11:46am
yukue fumei

WOW--thanks Brandie-
that's really good to know...I will try and talk him into it again....
he is a good guy and gives me an incredible deal on O2(I give him marbles) so the cost is not so much an issue as is the inconvenience. I forget what his quote was on the dewar....rental for a year was something like $250...and refills were $150....the cost would be very similar except the extra cost of rental. I own the 2 300 tanks I have, so I guess I can try the LOX and if it isn't cost effective I can go back to tanks....
Got alot of plannng to do. I, too, will have to concrete up the walkway so I can get the dewar back to the studio.

The whole thing taht got me thinking about the generators is that it is an endless supply, but what I am worried about is the pressure and O2 purity. With tanks the pressure is soo awesome--you really can't compare. When I bought a little O2 generator for my cheetah and spent $1800 it was such a disappointment when I finally turned it on and couldn't get the same flame as when I had it on tanked...........so I want to research GOOD before I spend $10,000 for a generator ...

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2007-07-19 at 11:51am.
Old 2007-07-19, 2:19pm
Hummel factory reject

Nagi, smutboy runs his studio torches on a pro-8 I think. You may want to pick his brain a bit. I remember he had the pro-4 as well. I would love to run liquid as well. My gas/oxy guys are complete neanderthals though!!! I'm reasonably happy with my set up but am jonesing for a mirage.

Old 2007-07-19, 2:36pm
yukue fumei

Thanks kiko-
I will ask him....I run an oxygenating flame most of the time so having that extra oomph is an important plus and eventually I would like to go even bigger.

oooo....I highly recommend a Mirage...YumYum!!!

One day I hope to be good enough to take a class with Marcel Braun and Jason Lee.....wow that is some insane boro...the kilns are crazy huge. It's gotta be real hot and difficult, but it looks sooo cool!!!
http://livingglassworks.com/gallery.html

nagi

Old 2007-07-19, 4:19pm
Hummel factory reject

Gorgeous work! Thanks for sharing the link.

Old 2007-07-19, 4:43pm
yukue fumei

nagi

Old 2007-10-21, 8:10am

If you Did want to can the o2 comony for ever and not be bothered with liquid and run a big torches or have more then one person in the shop. I have a pro8 thats almost brand new for sale. but it does need a big air compressor to run it. its needs one thats about 7.5 horsepower.(and cost about $1,600 for the conmpressor.) But it will provide about 2 liquid tanks a month worth of o2. for considerbly less per month in electric then liquid costs. less then $50 per liquid to genarate your own.

the weight is 275lbs and the air compressor is about 400 some pounds.
But a compressor can be pretty loud if in the same room your working in. But I recomend eaton brand air compressors for them sence they are the best ones made and provide the right amount of air flow to the gens. BUTTTTTT an eaton is fully sealed from the emements and can be stored/run outside.