Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-19, 1:57pm

Default whats fuming

I was in another thread were they were discussing having problems fuming an implosion. What do they mean by fuming.
Thanks
Bob
Old 2009-02-19, 2:12pm
Yeah me!

Here's a video on gold fuming, you can also fume with silver. The gold has to be at least 22K and the silver has to be 99.9% pure.

http://technorati.com/videos/youtube...%3DTmQGSLT3JuQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-19, 2:17pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Fuming is a process where you use a precious metal (usually gold -but can be others) and you introduce it into the flame between the torch head and the "object" you want "coated" or fumed. The heat in the flame causes the precious metal to boil off at molecular level from the source and will bond to the "object" further out in flame, there for "coating" the "target" object...

Its a technique to put gold plating on glass object without going through a electrolytical process.....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-02-19, 3:11pm

Fuming is awesome. here's a link to some pic's where all the colors in these pieces are from fume...http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/album.php?albumid=15.

I like to explain it as if it is like the process of evaporation. Think of it like when water turns to steam. well the metals turn to "steam"(fume) and travel up the flame...they stick to a piece of glass that you hold at tip of flame.

You have a lot of research to do but you should definitely find everything you need to know on the internet. And theres plenty of peeps that will help answer questions here.
Old 2009-02-19, 4:42pm

Default thanks

Thanks every one. I'll watch the videos, Sounds like something to try.
Bob
Old 2009-02-19, 6:50pm

Just be very sure that you have outstanding ventilation when you fume things.

Robert
Old 2009-02-19, 7:18pm

Robert, what do you mean by outstanding ventilation? My workspace is 8 x 3 feet in my garage, next to the garage door. I usually work with the door open, will this suffice? I've been dying to try fuming, but am unsure of the ventilation issue.

Thanks so much!!

Cricket
Old 2009-02-19, 7:41pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
Robert, what do you mean by outstanding ventilation? My workspace is 8 x 3 feet in my garage, next to the garage door. I usually work with the door open, will this suffice? I've been dying to try fuming, but am unsure of the ventilation issue.

Thanks so much!!

Cricket
This is not adequate for fuming

Old 2009-02-19, 7:50pm

Thanks Carolyn...

Do I need to install a ventilation fan over my work area?

Your advice is greatly appreciated!!

Cricket
Old 2009-02-19, 8:10pm

Yes....

Robert once posted a pic of his work bench and vent hood. Looks like quite a thoughtful design. His picture is post #4 in the thread, below. Beth (GlassyEyedGirl) has the post just above. You can't see the fan in her picture, but she was kind enough to share some of her design info with me. She made sure she had an excellent fan with more than enough cfm for her vent hood design.

What I like about both is that they are fully enclosed, fume hood type (aka barley box style) vent systems. I would recommend PMing them to find out more about what they did. Carolyn might have some good suggestions for you as well.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...37#post2301737

There are folks who also choose to wear a respirator, such as a 3M P100, when fuming for added protection, even with a vent system.

Linda
Old 2009-02-19, 8:21pm
Life is change. Love it

Cricket, you need something to draw the fumes away from you and make up air coming from behind you. I have a hood similar to Robert's, but smaller and not as pretty, and it is about two feet above my torch and of course venting to the outside. It has a kick ass fan in it because my DH used it to draw air out of the studio when he was turning wood bowls. I have an outside door open behind me for makeup air. I still use a respirator for enamels and fuming.

Old 2009-02-19, 8:26pm

Okaaaay...

That equipment sounds like NEXT year's Christmas gifts!!

Carolyn, Linda thanks so much for your input, I learn something new everytime I log on.

Cricket
Old 2009-02-20, 5:52am
Yeah me!

Actually you can make something that will work for a lot less, in the meantime. You can buy flex duct from your local hardware store and a furnace booster fan. attach the booster fan to the end of the duct and place the other end in front of your torch or suspend it just above your work area. The fan will draw away the fumes and pull in air from behind you. Just make sure it is close but not too close to hinder your flame. The flex duct is easily suspended by hangers or even rope.

Old 2009-02-20, 6:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey*bee View Post
Actually you can make something that will work for a lot less, in the meantime. You can buy flex duct from your local hardware store and a furnace booster fan. attach the booster fan to the end of the duct and place the other end in front of your torch or suspend it just above your work area. The fan will draw away the fumes and pull in air from behind you. Just make sure it is close but not too close to hinder your flame. The flex duct is easily suspended by hangers or even rope.
I wouldn't use this as ventilation for fuming. The torch plume, complete with exhaust gasses and metal vapors, will spread quickly as it rises and creates turbulence in the air around it. A furnace booster fan won't give you enough pull to capture this exhaust plume. You really need to use a hood of some sort as described by Carolyn.

Robert