No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-11-05, 7:18pm
funny mofo

Default How wide is your workspace?

How wide is your workspace, and do you think it's adequate? I'm setting up my studio and I want to have my kiln inside the box I'm building (so I don't have to get up to put things in the kiln). I don't know how wide to make it, and I have to figure out how wide so I can get my ventilation set. Would 4 feet be big enough if my kiln is inside the box?
Old 2012-11-06, 3:56am
Now part of the Dark Side

My current workspace is about 4ft wide, fine under most circumstances. However, I started working boro recently and when breaking down tubing it is a bit cramped.
Old 2012-11-06, 4:45am
Melody of Glass

Mine is probably about 5' x 3' and I wouldn't want it smaller, personally. I have most things within reach but not my kiln. It's a couple of steps away and I do like that as it makes me get up and stretch a bit after each bead.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-08, 5:41pm
Creative creations

I have my kiln on a mobile tool trolley. When I don't use my kiln I put it out of the way and when i need it I pull it next my work table. Safe time and space
Old 2012-11-08, 8:18pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

My studio is 10x16.....it's been perfect...plenty of storage..2 steps to annealed by choice so I can stretch a bit...been this way for about 8 yrs.....used minor and mini cc....then I got a new Bravo which I absolutely love....but am now too close to wall to fully use outer ring on torch....now need to reshape bench and turn 90 degrees.....moral of story, set it up to use the maximum size torch you ever dream of having....set the vent system in place and go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-09, 10:44am
Salt Box Beads

I have had a 2X4 workbench and it was just too small, I prefer 30"- 36" deep and at least 5' wide.

It is so much better for me because sometimes I like to use full rods to make large beads and to have the rod always hitting the sides of my Barley box was irritating.
Old 2012-11-09, 12:21pm

Doesn't sound like a long enough bench to me, having a kiln to share space with. If you get a rolling swivel chair you don't have to get up if you put the kiln on a cart or even on a shelf behind you.
I had a rolling swivel chair at my last house, it was the bomb. I can't have a rolling chair with this raised platform thingy that was already here but I've been thinking about splurging on a swivel bar stool. I have to get up to use the far end of the kiln. No biggie, it's nice to stretch.

Old 2012-11-09, 3:55pm
Artistically Absorbed

I have my kiln on a rolling set up too. I don't have to get up to put beads in it is at eye level when I am at the torch just off to my left side. I can never have enough table space, mine is probably 5x3 and is always overflowing with stuff when I work.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-11-10, 8:56am
Dix Harrison

I use two stainless steel restaurant tables (set up in an "L" formation) for my torch bench and kiln. They are each 24" x 48". $115 per table. Here is a link...

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/work-ta...145625.ip#desc

I think I have a great set up. These tables are very versatile, a breeze to assemble, and extremely sturdy. They come with wheels which you can add/or not. The table surfaces are fireproof and brush or wipe clean beautifully. There is one adjustable-height chrome wire shelf that comes in the box. I placed the shelf about 10" under the top of the torch table and have three bins (like drawers) sitting on it. These bins contain my jars of frit--separated by COE. They can be pulled out and pushed in easily.

I chose not to add wheels on the torch bench and kiln table. I can make a bead, then swivel 45 degrees to the right and pop it in the kiln. 24" is more than enough depth for my torches Lynx/Minor/Mega Minor. But, the kiln is far away enough that I don't feel any radiant heat from it all.

I have four of these tables in my studio. Two tables on one long wall are used for torch and kiln. Two tables on the other long wall are used for metalsmithing bench and jewelry assembly area. Sam's Club also has some matching small chrome-wire wheeled carts. I have two of those for jewelry findings. And, SC also carries a tall wire-shelving unit on wheels. I have one of those and added the square fence-rail tubing to the shelves. I use it for glass storage. It also holds photo supplies, tool storage, and other supplies.

My studio is a nicely-finished space with track lighting and task lighting, but I purposely chose to keep the concrete floor. All of the furniture has wheels EXCEPT for the torch bench and kiln table. I think it is so cool that I can totally rearrange my studio with very little effort. I have utilized several different configurations. I like the current setup the best.

I hope you find a set up that works well for you! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions!

Dix
Old 2012-11-10, 10:41am
Melting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansassky View Post
I use two stainless steel restaurant tables (set up in an "L" formation) for my torch bench and kiln. They are each 24" x 48". $115 per table. Here is a link...

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/work-ta...145625.ip#desc
I have this same table, and I raised the bottom shelf up high enough that my knees don't hit. I use it for things stored on baking trays - they fit perfectly. But beside it I have a 2' square table for my kiln, giving me a total of about 6' long. I like having the kiln on this table - I don't have to get up to put beads in, it saves space, and the kiln is only about 12" or so square, so I have extra space on the table for rods, etc. The 2' table is about an inch shorter, so if I knock anything off the side of the longer table, the kiln table catches it without a problem. My glass shelving is perpendicular to this set up, 4' long, so I can reach for anything I need without moving. I'm in a garage and space is crucial; this was the best set up for me.

It is very similar to my previous studio setup, but that was a tiled wooden 9' bench. I like the steel better. If you have more room you will utilize every inch. You simply can't have too much room. Even with this setup I don't have enough space. I have stuff all over the tables, on top of the glass shelving, and on a long dresser that supports the back of the glass shelving. It's about 16' of surface area, including the shelf under the kiln. If you add the shelf under long table it's 20' of surface area.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2012-11-10, 3:22pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

4 feet and its plenty if you have space on either side, but I also pull a lot of points and need that space

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-12-09, 10:08am
funny mofo

I think I'm going to go with at least 5 feet; I get claustrophobic. I have a shelf unit with adjustable feet (important because my floor is not level) so I can keep the kiln level; I may put it on that, or I may just put it far to the left on the table, which will be longer than 5 feet.

Thanks for the help and ideas, everyone! I really appreciate it!