Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-06-02, 5:39am

Wow Arryn - you've been torching less than 2 months and your loops look like THAT!? Incredible... It took me ages to make anything worth wearing haha. Good on you! Nice work on the bubbles too - very nicely done. Do you have a marble mold? Before you add the cap heat the tops of the tentacles and let them droop "upward" (hold it upside down) a little bit and then when you add the cap you can use the mold to create a nice round shape. That's what I've ended up doing for the most part and it seems to be working well...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-06-02, 8:20am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echobaby1 View Post
This is my first post here, I lurk mainly and if I do say so myself I'm really good at it! I have only been torching since April but I wanted to show Miss Mary what her jellyfish thread inspired me to do. This is my very first attempt at a jelly and its a bit wonky but I suppose so am I so it fits. Thanks for all the tips!
So glad you posted and a very nice first post it is!

Thanks to all for sharing.

-BEP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-06-02, 8:25am
Flamewoman

You Arryn are going to be very good. Anyone starting out with that much skill has infinite possibilities. Please keep melting and keep posting. I don't know where you live, but you should try to get into a good class. Amazing.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-06-02, 11:34am

Default Jellification

Arryn, Very nice jelly! Here are a few more jellies. Thanks for taking a look.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-02, 12:38pm
Flamewoman

Wow Dave. Nice work. Only thing I think would improve the look of these is a little more clear glass on the bottom around the tentacles. But man, nice.
Hard to stop making these.....huh?

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-06-03, 7:01am

Here's a few more:

Old 2013-06-04, 10:21am

Today's NPR's The Diane Rehm show was all about jellyfish. She posted several jelly pics, very inspirational. One of the guests talked about a jelly that had a cap as big as an old satellite dish! You can catch it on her podcast.

A few jellies with Tequila Sunrise. The last one I'm going to try to kiln strike like Maui G's. Thanks for taking a look.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-05, 9:49am

Default Striking Tequila Sunrise

Here's a jelly that I kiln struck at 1125. It's the first time I have ever got glass to kiln strike! Thanks for taking a look.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-05, 10:30am
Evil Glass Enabler

This is lovely both ways. You should make more of both. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlando1 View Post
Here's a jelly that I kiln struck at 1125. It's the first time I have ever got glass to kiln strike! Thanks for taking a look.
Dave

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2013-06-05, 10:42am

So cool! I have GOT to try that... how do you know what colors will kiln strike? Should I look it up on Glass Alchemy or something? I had a color one time that worked almost clear and then when it came out of the kiln it was chocolate brown.... first time that happened I was very disappointed because it ruined everything I made. The next time I used the same glass I expected it to turn brown but it did not... the only difference is that now I have a digital controller for my kiln! Perhaps I accidentally kiln struck it the first time by overheating a bit?

I'll try a few jellies with that brown today... might look kinda cool with a high contrast white tentacle or something.

Old 2013-06-05, 10:46am
Evil Glass Enabler

I like this idea! Amber purple, tequila sunrise, amber green and some of the reds also kiln strike well. A lot of them also have that they kiln strike in the detailed descriptions if they do this. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hardcastle View Post
So cool! I have GOT to try that... how do you know what colors will kiln strike? Should I look it up on Glass Alchemy or something? I had a color one time that worked almost clear and then when it came out of the kiln it was chocolate brown.... first time that happened I was very disappointed because it ruined everything I made. The next time I used the same glass I expected it to turn brown but it did not... the only difference is that now I have a digital controller for my kiln! Perhaps I accidentally kiln struck it the first time by overheating a bit?

I'll try a few jellies with that brown today... might look kinda cool with a high contrast white tentacle or something.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2013-06-05, 2:09pm

Hey Max,
Check out Maui Greenstone's Boro in review. He lays out a bunch of striking colors that he strikes multiple times. it's a great thread!
Old 2013-06-05, 2:15pm
Flamewoman

Well I guess I will have to call arrow springs to have them help me with a different annealing program that goes a little higher. right now it only goes I think to 1075, I think it needs to go a little higher to kiln strike, right? any suggestions for a program?

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-06-05, 3:25pm

I think some will strike at that temp but you need a longer hold time, like 3 to 4 hours. The ga site has this info. You need to make sure the haze is completely burned off also.

Not a jelly but shows haze and no hazeName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370471036.357102.jpg
Views: 3330
Size:  27.2 KB

The purple has no haze and the blue is haze. Kilned at 1075 for 3 hours with a small amount of flame strike. Done on a cricket with 2 oxy cons.
Old 2013-06-05, 3:32pm

Oh yea, passion colors, dragon colors, rubies, some oranges are all strikers. I don't know if luster colors strike, but hit them with a slight reducing flame and they change. Black pearl is one that starts black then changes to this:Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370471540.835304.jpg
Views: 3403
Size:  22.5 KB

Not the best pick but went from black to blues and greens.

Chuck
Old 2013-06-07, 8:58am

Default Another kiln struck

This is another Tequila Sunrise cap that I kiln struck at 1125. Thanks for taking a look.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-12, 10:17am

Default Jelly w/ a twist

I like how the tentacles turned out on this one.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-12, 6:49pm
Lotion handler

Dave that last one is just incredible! Everyone at my work agrees.
Old 2013-06-14, 7:10pm

Default Still more jellies

I'm on a my quest to make 50 decent jellies. A couple more w/ extra tentacles.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-15, 1:56am

I love this thread so much. And Dave, I could look at your pendants all day! Clean, bright, bold and lovely!
Old 2013-06-15, 8:58pm
Flamewoman

Wow DAVE!
I love what you're doing here man. If you could be so kind to go back and edit your last couple of pictures posts 107 & 109 and add what colors you used I would love that. I love the contrast of the colors you are using, and I also notice that you are not tapering them as tightly on the last few. I like the over all shape of the pendant that has more glass at the bottom, don't you? Really shows off those tentacles you are doing. You're killin' it Dave. Keep 'em coming. I am going to try to put in a little torch time this next week, still in recovery mode from my surgery, but I think I could do an hour or 2. Seeing your amazing jellies makes it hard to keep away from the flame, it calls me.
Thanks for the inspiration.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-06-16, 2:46pm

Default Jelly info

Hey Mary,
I'm glad your feeling better. I think torching will be a help in the healing process. I wanted to thank you for suggesting that I thicken the end of my jellies. I just had to utilize my torch in a better fashion. Once I did that, I was able to add a second set of tentacles to the pendant.
The colors for the blue jelly (# 107) are:
The cap, is Mystery Adventurine,w/ a decorative stringer of Asian white over dark cobalt. I like the contrast the stringer adds to the pendant.
The inner tentacles are Blue Lighting.
The outer tentacles are the Asian white /dark cobalt stringer again.

The orange Jelly(#109):
The cap is Elvis Experimental Orange that a friend gave me. I tried to find it at the company where I usually buy my glass (ABR), but they didn't offer it. I kiln struck it a second time to get the deeper color.
The inner tentacles are Blue Moon.
The outer tentacles are the Asian white / Cobalt stringer.

A friend told me that making a bunch (50) of anything helps you to understand
the materials you're working with. Making so many pendants forces you to try to be more creative.
I'm glad i did.

Here are both, reposted. The orange jelly is a new pic in full sun.
Hope you're back to doing what you love, very soon!
Dave
Attached Images

Last edited by dlando1; 2013-06-16 at 6:37pm. Reason: bad spelling
Old 2013-06-26, 12:51pm

Default Mo jellies, mo jellies, mo jellies.

Yeah, a few more.
Thanks for taking a look,
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-26, 2:29pm
Lotion handler

They are all gorgeous Dave! If I had to pick a favorite, that first one. Keep it up!
Old 2013-06-26, 3:49pm
Lava Maker

Quote:
I'm on a my quest to make 50 decent jellies. A couple more w/ extra tentacles.
Dave
I love how you've made these your own.

Ann DeHoff
Old 2013-06-27, 7:04am
Evil Glass Enabler

I'd love to see one like number 2 with the opal have tentacles reaching down to take it out of the tip of the pendent. Angelique

Quote:
Yeah, a few more.
Thanks for taking a look,
Dave

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Old 2013-06-27, 8:08am

Hi Angelique, I think that would be a good idea too. This is the first time I ever got an opal to be where I wanted it. Then my tentacles didn't come out very well! I'll try it again later today. Thanks for the idea.
Dave
Old 2013-06-27, 1:07pm
Evil Glass Enabler

You're very welcome. I still like number 2. Good luck with the next opal jelly fish. Angelique

Quote:
Hi Angelique, I think that would be a good idea too. This is the first time I ever got an opal to be where I wanted it. Then my tentacles didn't come out very well! I'll try it again later today. Thanks for the idea.
Dave

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Old 2013-06-28, 10:37am

Default Please post your jellies

I'm starting to feel like a thread hog. Please post any jellies you guys are making. It's getting lonely in here. I am on a jag of making these. They have really helped me get a better grip on how my torch works.

If you can stand it, this is a triple struck jelly with Tequila Sunrise for the cap.
Thanks for taking a look.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-28, 12:43pm
Marble Lover

Quote:
I'm starting to feel like a thread hog. Please post any jellies you guys are making. It's getting lonely in here. I am on a jag of making these. They have really helped me get a better grip on how my torch works.
Love it. If you STOP posting Jellies, I'm going to find a Man-O-War and throw it in your sock drawer.

Sunday is my first free time in a while, I may actually attempt one.

-BEP