Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-04-07, 5:14am

Default Ugggh! Twisties!

Hi everyone! I have a simple question. What is your favorite method for coming up with decent twisties? Is is the lollipop method or is it something else?

The reason I'm asking is I'm simply awestruck from looking at Jari Sheese's buttons on the front of Glass Bead!!

I want to do twisties like that when I grow up, lol

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-04-07, 6:06am
Lampworkaholic!

My favorite way is to use a clean mandrel, build a gather, stripe it and use something like a chop stick to gently pull it. I twist with the gather side only and sort of bounce the gather in and out of the flame as I twist and steadily pull.

Another thing I like to do is make the gather and melt a variegated shard over it then do the twist and pull. Makes great flower cane.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-04-07, 6:18am
Student!

I'm not sure what it's called, but I make a paddle of one color and add stripes of other colors on both sides of the paddle, melt, and pull while twisting.

The twisties are uniform, but nothing has exceeded six or eight inches long.

I see several that folks make that are much longer so I will be interested to hear what everyone has to say here.

Cheryl
Old 2012-04-07, 6:43am
sunscreen me baby

I just paint the rod with stripes, attached the "paint brush" rod to the end of it, heat the section and pull twisting both ends at the same time.

~

Old 2012-04-07, 7:00am

Thanks for the (needed) and much appreciated responses! Suzy, the method you mentioned was the one I was trying to think of but couldn't explain it lol.

I can pull stringer in my sleep, sometimes three feet+ long (if the planets are aligned properly) but I can never make EVEN twisties!

Thanks again

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-04-07, 7:15am
sunscreen me baby

It comes down to practice. I learned by taking a box full of shorts and just making oodles of them until it got easier.

~

Old 2012-04-07, 7:43am
Mr Brutus RIP

I take the colors I want to use, and nip them in one inch pieces, then put them on my warmer. I use a full rod, thick as the base. I gently attach each piece in the order I want and once they are all attached I heat till completly melted and pull.
I always had such a hard time with making the stripes since I always ended up with uneven colors........this way everything is even. I would imagine that you could possibly do it with a blob of glass on the end of a mandrel and then shape it to a barrel and add them but I've never tried.
sue

Old 2012-04-07, 7:45am
Now part of the Dark Side

I make twisties similar to pulling cane. Make a block of color, encase in clear, then heat and pull. Sometimes I just overlap 2 rods and melt together and pull, depends on the effect I want. Once you have the gather it's the same as pulling a stringer. Heat the gather until it it almost uncontrollable, remove from the flame, wait, wait, wait, then twist and pull. If you wind up with dogbone ends then you did not get it hot enough, if it's too thin then you did not wait long enough/pulled too hot.
Old 2012-04-07, 7:52am
Flaming Redhead!

I learned from Kimberly's tutorial...she's right, you get very little waste when you do it this way, plus it's easy peasy... http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3450

Also, I use my mandrel spinner...I found it gives you very even pulls, plus it's a lot faster.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2012-04-07, 7:57am
It's about having fun!

Ah, I'm interested in this thread! They are not as easy as it seems! I must be color blind, alot of the colors I put together look like hell when I'm done. Then they are not nice and even, it takes patience I think!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-04-07, 9:02am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Depends on the end look that I want, which technique I use.
Old 2012-04-07, 9:14am
Salt Box Beads

I use Kimberly Afflecks way and you can make them as large as you want. This method makes small beautiful twisties quickly and easily.

Here is a tut from Corina's website.
http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/drkimtwistie.php

I also do the stripes/swipes down the sides of a base bead that has been pushed into a mold or beadpress of choice to give it indents for the actual stripes, then I always use a mandrel the size I want the twistie to be, to pull the gather into the twistie with.

I always like to purchase twofor tools, that way I get much more use out of them for the money and a great tool for pressing beads and for pulling twisties is The Column by Cattwalk tools.

You can make the bead a variety of lengths and then easily add four color stripes.

http://cattwalk.com/formingtrays.htm It is about the 12th press scrolling down the page.
Old 2012-04-07, 9:46am

I use the lollipop method mostly, but sometimes the two shorts. PPP

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2012-04-07, 10:09am

I use big mandrels, at least 1/8" and make a big bullet shape and stripe whatever colors on top. Usually I pull and twist all at once and end up with as much twistie as my arms are long. Great when you know your color combo is good. Not so great when you're experimenting and end up with 5 or 6 feet of nastiness.

Old 2012-04-08, 8:05am

I've used all those methods above, but one trick I learned in Sam Hibler's twistie class was to twist first until the pattern seems right, and then twist and pull. It has really helped make my twisties more even (although I still have them wider at each end- sigh!)
Peggy
Old 2012-04-08, 7:28pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Depends on the end look that I want, which technique I use.
same - if you want the encased ribbon look you need to start with a flat paddle and round it off with clear, if you want the candy cane look you need to start with a round gather with stripes

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-04-09, 4:52am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Wow! I never realized there are so many different ways to approach twisties! I learned to make them from this YouTube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LCII...5&feature=plcp

I LOVE this guy's videos, I studied them all incessantly in the weeks before I ever lit the torch, to the point where I actually felt like everything was familiar before I ever got started. The learning curve when I finally did light the torch was almost a surprise - but the very first thing I tried was twisties, and the instant success with those fueled my instant love affair with lampworking.

L-111

Last edited by eregel; 2012-04-09 at 4:57am.
Old 2012-04-09, 5:02am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
Wow! I never realized there are so many different ways to approach twisties! I learned to make them from this YouTube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LCII...5&feature=plcp

I LOVE this guy's videos, I studied them all incessantly in the weeks before I ever lit the torch, to the point where I actually felt like everything was familiar before I ever got started. The learning curve when I finally did light the torch was almost a surprise - but the very first thing I tried was twisties, and the instant success with those fueled my instant love affair with lampworking.
He's using boro right?

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-04-09, 6:24am
Now part of the Dark Side

Another really cool effect is to stripe a 10mm clear rod then encase and pull. You get a free floating spiral.
Old 2012-04-09, 6:40am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Deb - yes, he's using boro, but so far everything I've tried from his videos works for me in 104. I still go back and look at his videos when I need to - for some reason I can't remember how to do a cold weld for more than one session, probably because I almost never work off mandrel. His twisties were the first things I ever did, and taught me a LOT about heat control. His ladybug and penguin were the second and third things I ever made - niether are wonderful, but as my husband said when I showed him "I can tell what they are, so that's a pretty good start."

L-111

Old 2012-04-09, 7:19am

Hi Duane-

I posted this awhile ago, but I still make my twisties this way Maybe it wil help Laura

http://chestnutridgedesigns.com/sect....aspx?bp_id=13

If you PM me your address, I'll send you some- I have a ton of leftover ones because I just make more when I need them