Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-09, 7:18pm

Default Tech question for Minor/Major

I have a Major torch. For anyone who isn't familiar, that is the big torch face for big work, with a Minor mounted above it. I have been on a Crickett for the past couple years and just switched back to do some fine control work, using the Minor. Anyway, I am running one 5 lpm concentrator with it, and for whatever reason, I can't seem to get the O2 knob to allow me to pinpoint the flame. I can get decrease the O2, no problem, if I want a bushy flame, but can't go the other way. The torch is burning clean otherwise.

Any suggestions? Do I need to get it looked at and if so, who does that? It is exceptionally slow to work with it, and doesn't want to burn hot enough to use silverglass, without reducing as I am working, instead of when I choose. Any ideas would be so appreciated!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2011-06-10, 6:29am

So, no ideas? Ratz!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-06-10, 7:10am
Flaming Redhead!

Nortel makes the torch...might want to email or give them a call.
http://www.nortelglass.com/aboutus.shtml

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2011-06-10, 7:29am

Nortel! Of course! Senior moment...or maybe day long event!! Thank you!

Old 2011-06-10, 11:50am

Check the flow rate. How much O2 is flowing through to the minor torch? It might not be enough. My fiancé and I use the same torch and we over clock it considerably. My fiancé was told to get good results out of it, to run a Hurricane oxycon.
Hope this helps!

Good luck!
Glasskat

Old 2011-06-10, 1:26pm

I may have to run both 5 lpms oxycons, though many lampworkers on LE list only one with their Minor. This was not a problem in the past except I could never do large gathers. So I bought the Crickett to get more heat from less oxy... but it is sooo hot that I wanted to do some tiny stringer work and can't keep it raised. I thought if I switched back to the Minor, I could finesse it better/easier.

Thanks for the input! i have contacted Nortel, so we'll see...

Old 2011-06-12, 6:56pm

ok, GlassKat, you get the prize...I turned on both concentrators and gave them a couple hours of runtime, then fired up. All is well. For whatever reason, this torch just wants more flow than I get with a single concentrator. Thanks so much for your input!!

Phew, I hate replacing equipment! More fun to just add new and more!

Old 2011-06-13, 10:27pm

You're welcome. We just have the same torch and that's what we have to do, so I thought I might share.

I'm glad all is well.

Glasskat