LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-09-21, 4:53pm

Default questions about using a hood fan for ventilation

I have been working on my ventilation, I had a box built and it had plexiglass on three sides and open on the front and my fan wasn't strong enough - I need a 700 cfm fan. Instead of getting a squirrel cage fan I bought a hood fan that is 760 cfm and I took the filter out, my question is how high should the fan be installed above the table and do you still need the box around the fan. I am confused because sometimes I see people with some sort of hood above without a box. We installed the fan at the top of the box, I have to find my tape measure to see how high it is, but the flame is dancing around and if I torch for very long it make me feel funny. We are going to work on it this weekend and I have some smoke bombs to check the air flow. I noticed I do need to seal the window better where the fan is vented out - the pipe is 8". The window behind where I get fresh air does have a fan in the window that is not used do I need to take it off the window and just have the screen there? Also if I move the hood up higher I might have to vent out the roof, straight up- would that be better? This is so confusing and I know how important it is to have good ventilation. Also, how big of an opening do I need in the air flow window for 760 cfm - if it is to large would it be better to block the bottom or the top half of the window?

Thanks Pam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-22, 2:20am
Alaska Boro

An interesting link about ventilation....

http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/ventilation-primer/
Old 2012-09-22, 7:06am
Gentleman of Leisure

A lot will depend on if your fan really is 750 cfm and you may have to go back to "box" or "fume cabinet" concept to control air flow....

More links to ventilation...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=273

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...7c1144e5bcc1cb

As for make up air, it simple needs to be behind you, the opening needs to be equal or larger then exhaust opening and you do not need a fan to supply make up air, mother nature will supply the 'pressure" to force make up air onto studio space....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2012-09-22 at 7:10am.