LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-30, 3:32pm

Default Used Kiln....Is this thing safe to turn on?

So i bought a used pottery kiln off ebay, lets just say it did not come get here in "EXCELLENT SHAPE" as the listing said. Pretty sure i got ripped on this buy

At this point....I just want a kiln to tink around with fusion and do a little hand building with(glass kiln far to small so). So a messed up looking, and or easily repairable kiln I can deal with(Maybe..pending upon how the seller reacts to the email i sent) Unsafe obliviously isnt going to work at all, and at this point not even sure if I should turn it on.

Damage...Bottom/floor has 3 cracks
several small cracks in sides walls
Two chucks out of the lip like this one

Its all crumpled on one side bottom edge.

But my biggest concern is this, its punctured on the side..all the way through the metal. Just short of an inch long and cracked the bricks on the other side.

This is a CRESS FX1814P...should that make any difference at all.

What do you all think? repairable? useable? Rose is totally screwed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-04-30, 3:52pm
just quincy

IMHO, cracks and divots can be patched with special cement. Dents aren't problematic either, but a hole that perforates the metal into the fire brick could be a big problem-- I would try calling a ceramic supply store that sells kilns. I have used my old college days ceramics kiln for glass work and it is pretty beat up, but still functions fine.
Good luck.
Quincy

Little Dragon 21/Betta, tanked O2/NG
Old 2013-04-30, 4:12pm
one day at a time

That looks like shipping damage to me.
Old 2013-04-30, 5:53pm
honorary bead lady

As long as the puncture isnt thru and touching an element, everythig else is basically cosmetic, you should see the inside of my old pottery kiln I use for fusing, a few chips and cracks are nothing
Old 2013-05-01, 12:37am
Unmedicated since '62

looks like its been dropped

i think it would be safe to turn on, whether it would work is a different matter

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-05-01, 1:00am

puncture doesnt seem to be touching the elements....looks like its between them. So thats a perk.

Old 2013-05-03, 1:46pm

I agree with David... As long as the elements have not been breached and no metal touching them that is a go. The cracks can be fixed with the patch materials. My concern would be the controller (electronics). I had a kiln that I used a kiln shelf on the floor because it was badly cracked, worked like a charm.. Take it outside and plug it in..run it through the paces you will find out quick. I hope it works out for you.
Old 2013-05-03, 3:14pm

Kilns are pretty tough! You'll chip pieces yourself getting stuff in and out. Don't worry about the outside - it actually looks pretty good to me as it's still shiny. Gets duller with heat and use.

Just make sure all your elements are nestled in (and it looks like they are), make sure you have a good connective plug and have fun!

Barbara