No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-14, 7:08am
Student!

Default glass storage

I know this has been answered before but not recently that I've seen.

I'm looking to set up glass storage now that I have enough different colors to need it.

Has anyone gone into a store and purchased the square vinyl railing or did you have to mail order it?

Thanks!

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2012-07-14, 7:21am
pedal as fast as you can

Lowes sell the vinyl fence rails. 8ft. section runs close to $20

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-07-14, 7:22am
Student!

thanks! we'll check it out!

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2012-07-14, 7:36am

Get to know a contractor. The guy who built our porch cut up the leftover rails for me. Now he brings me the leftovers, nicely cut, whenever he has them from another job.

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-07-14, 9:37am

When I was in AZ it was a special order from Lowes and was $14 a rail. Now that I am in VA they have it in stock and it's just under $10 each.
Old 2012-07-14, 9:38am

I use wine racks that I collect at yard sales
I have several that were cheap (inexpensive)
I have a beautiful iron one that is handmade that I love.
it cost 8 buck and can hold at least a hundred lbs. of glass
Old 2012-07-14, 12:07pm
Student!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
I love this idea! But we went to Lowes and bought and bought some balusters that my DH is going to cut down for me,

Thanks for all the help!

Old 2012-07-15, 1:58pm
Artistically Absorbed

I found a principals office paper shelf type system (inboxes) at a garage sale for 5 dollars. It has tons of storage, each shelf holds 4 or 8 bundles of glass depending on how big they are. I love it! Best thing I got for 5 dollars in my whole studio!
-Becca

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-07-15, 3:08pm
Salt Box Beads

I purchased lengths of rain down spouts (PVC) and cut it myself from Home Depot
Old 2012-07-15, 3:56pm
offically down under

I was lucky enough to get them from a fencing supplier. As I was using them for storage and they didn't need to be perfect, he gave me 2nds for a fraction of the price.

Old 2012-07-16, 5:32pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Stacked PVC tubing cut to 10" and stacked on a bookshelf shelf.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-07-16, 6:11pm

I did the PVC tubing also & have them in a plastic Steralite container. They are perfectly arranged in color categories, too, because I'm OCD. lol
Old 2012-07-16, 7:38pm

I prefer the railing with sections..... cut, stack, mylar tape together.... each stores about 1 1/2 lbs of glass ....

Did the downspout but each section holds too much glass. Made separators but ... it sort of works. Railing for me...

Old 2012-07-16, 9:18pm
Dakine glass man

I used drainage pipe. 10ft lengths were $9 here in Hawaii so I'ld imagine they are cheaper on the mainland. Cut to 24" lengths so there are no rods hanging out to get caught on. Then put those in one of the 6ft tall metal storage shelves(available at costco, lowes, or ace) All together cost about $140 but have spots for over 100 colors with a max weight of 700 lbs. Then on my bench I have wine racks that I got at Ross for between $5-9. I keep the 10 colors I use most there, as well as cut down lengths of clear in 6 diameters.

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2012-07-17, 4:18pm
offically down under

While the PVC tubes are cheaper and easier to source, there is a lot of wasted space. For this reason, I feel the fence rails are a better option.
Attached Images

Old 2012-07-17, 5:54pm
Student!

These are all great ideas! My DH is in the process of cutting and gluing deck rails together for me. I'll have room for about 70 different colors and almost a pound of each.

Now..to fill it all up!

Thanks!

Old 2012-07-17, 8:16pm

I've got all the boro, 1/3 the moretti/effetre, in fence rail and want to convert the bullseye, Chech, lauscha, into fence rail. Full length soft glass is in pvc pipe standing on end in racks on top of the storage cabinets in the garage.... so much glass and so little time... lol....

Waving at John.... see you in a couple of weeks at Glass Stock!!!!

Old 2012-07-19, 4:54pm
Practicing perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
Pictures! Do you have pictures of this. Pleeeeeaaassssse!

Old 2012-07-20, 12:13pm

Wine racks what a great idea for a pretty way to store the glass! I have part of my glass in the far corner of my kitchen and that would be a neat way to store it!
Old 2012-07-21, 8:27am

Default Storage idea

Someone posted a long time ago about using the fencing. I went to Lowe's and every hardware store I could get to and no one had it. I finally used the link attached on the prior message, ordered 24 1 foot lengths, hubby made a wooden cabinet around it and I managed to eliminate a huge amount of storage space that was used for glass prior.

Love it, love it, love it. I can even place my kiln on top of the cabinet so save even more space!

If you need a link, I will supply when I get home and to my laptop. The gentleman I worked with was AWESOME! Very speedy in getting it to me!

Lampworking in Ohio

Ranae
Old 2012-07-21, 8:31pm
Glass-aholic

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342927539.306913.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  70.2 KB
Don't mind the mess... I had not un-condensed from 2 crated after moving the studio.. It's pretty now though! Lol
I use the smaller size PVC tubing and stand them up in a milk crate/staples file crate. I double stack the crate so I have a better height, then put it in a plans roller or put wheels on the bottom. This way it rolls right under the table or across the studio. I also have a wine rack that is great and I love it! The other thing I love about having PVC rather than fence rail is that the round PVC can also be put into the wine rack easily if I need to put 3-5 PVC pieces in each cradle. Someone had just posted about thinner narrow tubing thAt she used for stringer and smaller bundles as well. Great idea!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-22, 9:02am

DH built me this cabinet on wheels where I can roll it right up to my torch area and roll it out of the way when not needed. We used the fence rail that we special ordered from Lowes as they don't carry it in all stores.
Attached Images

Old 2012-07-22, 9:08am
Uh-oh means it's too late

WOW I so need to get better organized! I have most of mine in PVC piping but it is a pain I much prefer the way your DH did it Autumn! Now I just need to nudge my DH to do the same thing!

Old 2012-07-22, 9:11am

You know Autumn if your DH has the plans to this cabinet I am sure there are several people who would probably be interested in purchasing the plans. I have seen woodworking plans on etsy before. Not sure what is fair to charge since it is a pattern but I can check around.

Old 2012-07-22, 9:13am

It looks like the median range for plans is around $7.95 but not sure how detailed they are the most detailed ones were $9.95 and there were several at or below $5.00
http://www.etsy.com/search?q=wood+wo...0&max=0&page=1

Old 2012-07-22, 9:40am

WOW!!!!! That's awesome! I have all the half rods of boro, effetre, bullseye, lauscha, etc. in either a Gorilla rack with the fence railing (need to redo the part with downspout) and have the long full-length extra rods in the garage on top of storage cabinets.

Large diameter pvc pipe marked with the color number and color ~ two rows..... and another in the studio with filagrana and misc. that I probably will never use in my lifetime.....

Old 2012-07-22, 10:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
You know Autumn if your DH has the plans to this cabinet I am sure there are several people who would probably be interested in purchasing the plans. I have seen woodworking plans on etsy before. Not sure what is fair to charge since it is a pattern but I can check around.
I will have to see if I can get him to draw up the plans, its really not hard to build. It took him only half a day to build.

Old 2012-07-22, 11:21am
Melody of Glass

Storage envy, Autumn! And the fact that you've organized ROYGBIV appeals to my OCD side too!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-07-22, 2:31pm

I wish I had enough glass to worry about storage!! I've never really stocked up. All of my glass fits in a rotating thing I got at Michael's right next to my torch. \

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-07-25, 9:11am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragonfly View Post
DH built me this cabinet on wheels where I can roll it right up to my torch area and roll it out of the way when not needed. We used the fence rail that we special ordered from Lowes as they don't carry it in all stores.
I want one of these with a backlit white plexi panel! Damn girl! Nice!

PS: PIP! You have over 100 posts now... You can officially start hoarding glass

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: