Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-26, 9:43pm
~raven~

Default glass pipe

i'm not a smoker or druggy,
but the other day when i was selling my supplier some necklaces, he asked if i was able to make glass pipe/pipebongs or whatever they are called, he sells them there and was curious.

i was wondering if anyone here makes them, knows haw to make them cause i think it wold be good money in them once i do get my new torch, ( i saw one online for 85$american, that can buy me a nice bunch of glass somewhere, better then the 5-15 dollar beads.)
Old 2007-03-26, 9:58pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_spirit View Post
i'm not a smoker or druggy,
but the other day when i was selling my supplier some necklaces, he asked if i was able to make glass pipe/pipebongs or whatever they are called, he sells them there and was curious.

i was wondering if anyone here makes them, knows haw to make them cause i think it wold be good money in them once i do get my new torch, ( i saw one online for 85$american, that can buy me a nice bunch of glass somewhere, better then the 5-15 dollar beads.)
thats about what you would get for a little hand pipe and there are so many out there makeing them its not even funny.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2007-03-26, 11:15pm

that market is not as good as you might think
Old 2007-03-26, 11:16pm

you could buy there dvd to get the basics

http://www.sundanceglass.com/bookWEB...glass-pipe.htm
Old 2007-03-26, 11:49pm
~raven~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokersdesign View Post
that market is not as good as you might think
where i live theres noone that makes them, so everyone had to buy them threw suppliers.
like i said i dont actually do it myself, so i really dont know, much about it

as far as i know i'm the only lampeworker in my area (tho i could be wrong, i hope i am wrong)
Old 2007-03-27, 1:46am

Default hi from the usa

hi just saw your post..
and i do make some peices.
here is a good site to get info
www.glasspipes.org

one comment i will tell u is this.. the people in india are no mass producing these and its really brought the market and quality down.. also u have to use pyrex or boro glass.. not soft glass..

feel free to email me i be glad to chat with you ..

good luck..
annie
Old 2007-03-27, 2:57am
Entropy increasing....

I saw some at the Seattle Gift show from India. They were selling little ones for $4 and larger ones for $8.

They weren't really pretty.
Old 2007-03-27, 3:51am

and just to add to the fun and excitement of making glass pipes in competition with India and China, there is a general movement in some state legislatures to outlaw as drug paraphenalia all glass pipes. Other states have interesting definitions of what is paraphanelia that can trap the unwary. Glass and the law....who would have thunk it?
Old 2007-03-27, 5:11am
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

I'll admit I'm an ignoramous about this stuff, but can't glass pipes be used for regular tobbaco too? So couldn't they be marketed to regular tobacconists in theory?
etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2007-03-27, 5:30am
ManBearPig

I make quite a bit of them. Here's a tutorial I did on making a simple pipe:

http://cosmoglassworks.com/tutorials/spoon.html

There are a few differences between a tobacco pipe and a pipe used for other purposes. Tobacco pipes usually have a much bigger bowl. Tobacco pipes are usually packed and then lit, and stay lit for a while. Pipes for other uses are usually lit every time they are smoked out of.

Also, tobacco pipes don't have carbs. They don't need them.

$85 is actually pretty low as far as nice pipes go. I had a $350 pipe here not too long ago made by Banjo. That's actually a low end piece for him.

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-27, 6:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

There are a few differences between a tobacco pipe and a pipe used for other purposes. Tobacco pipes usually have a much bigger bowl. Tobacco pipes are usually packed and then lit, and stay lit for a while. Pipes for other uses are usually lit every time they are smoked out of.

$85 is actually pretty low as far as nice pipes go. I had a $350 pipe here not too long ago made by Banjo. That's actually a low end piece for him.

I have wondered about this- in theory- would a tobacco pipe made from glass be stable?
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-03-27, 6:38am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I have wondered about this- in theory- would a tobacco pipe made from glass be stable?
What do you mean by "stable"?

Do you mean would it last? Yes, it absolutely would if they have been annealed. They can take being thrown back into a hot kiln, so I'm sure they could take a couple hundred degrees from burning tobacco.

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-27, 7:41am
birdergirl ~o~

Just say it's a Sex Toy then it will be perfectly legal!
LOL!!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-03-27, 7:56am

hahaha not it Georgia or Texas....you can't have a personal...umm....stimulation device ....those are illegal too....they are "novelty items" here.....sheesh...folks really should get a grip....
Old 2007-03-27, 8:01am

Quote:

sweet tut cosmo, I like how you us glass nipper to cut the mouth peice off. I would of never thought of that.

Do you have a basic I/O tutorial?
Old 2007-03-27, 8:29am

Quote:
What do you mean by "stable"?

Do you mean would it last? Yes, it absolutely would if they have been annealed. They can take being thrown back into a hot kiln, so I'm sure they could take a couple hundred degrees from burning tobacco.
I guess I meant usable- I wonder if the temps would make the mouth piece too warm eventually with consistant heat. Tobacco pipe smokers are collectors as well- if they could be smoked and made to appeal to a tobacco smoker, they spend a lot of money- but I have not seen a glass tobacco pipe (and yes, I've seen a lot of tobacco pipes)- but I've also never heard one asked for- I have wondered before if it's not a good market or if it's an untapped market
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-03-27, 8:47am
ManBearPig

I have made quite a few for tobacco use (no carb, big bowl) and they work fine. Granted, most of them were larger pieces and there was at least 6" between the bowl and the mouth piece.

But, glass is not a good conductor of heat, so it shouldn't be a problem anyways.

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-27, 9:55am
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Also, tobacco pipes don't have carbs.
So they're approved for people on the Atkins Diet?
Old 2007-03-27, 9:59am
ManBearPig

Something like that...

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-27, 10:08am

Quote:
I have made quite a few for tobacco use (no carb, big bowl) and they work fine. Granted, most of them were larger pieces and there was at least 6" between the bowl and the mouth piece.

But, glass is not a good conductor of heat, so it shouldn't be a problem anyways.
Thanks Chad- maybe it's time for me to learn pipes!
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Old 2007-03-27, 10:17am
Missing presumed fed

And just for the record, and I'm not, repeat not, going to get into any discussions of whether it should or should not be illegal, but in the United States it is a violation of federal law (and depending on where you are, may be a violation of state and local laws, too) to sell or offer to sell drug paraphernalia, to use the mails or any other facility of interstate commerce to transport drug paraphernalia, or to import or export drug paraphernalia. The penalty is 3 years imprisonment for each offense, plus a fine of $250,000.

Drug paraphernalia is defined to include (I'm paraphrasing, here -- the definition gets kind of long) any equipment, product, or material of any kind which is primarily intended or designed for . . . injecting, ingesting, inhaling, or otherwise introducing into the human body an unlawful controlled substance. It includes items primarily intended or designed for use in ingesting, inhaling, or otherwise introducing marijuana, cocaine, hashish, hashish oil, PCP, methamphetamine, or amphetamines into the human body, such as -- metal wooden, acrylic, glass, stone, plastic, or ceramic pipes (. . .).

Just so everybody's clear, yes, they're illegal. Do people sell them anyway? Sure they do. They're taking the chance that they won't get arrested for it.

As I said, I'm not trying to start an argument over the legality issue, and I'd really hope to avoid one. If you really think it's necessary, please take it to the Woodshed, where discussions of controversial issues belong, or write to your Congresscritter, who has the power if not the inclination to take a position on the issue. (And yes, I recognize that the person who asked the question in the first place is in Canada, and I have no idea what the Canadian laws are.)
Old 2007-03-27, 1:23pm
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

Yes one of them did get "busted" it was for using the word "bong"...Any I started out with beads and went to making pipes no I don't partake....not even in tabacco but the techniques used in making pipes is a good way to start learning to blow hard glass.
In California it is okay to make and sell pipes with carbs...and you know that's not used for tabacco.
I make wine bottle stoppers too and I don't drink....anymore.
Use your best judgement and If you decide to make pipes make them art Grandma might be smoking a little for her pains ( I'm from California, gradma's do that out here, maybe their old hippies...ummm if their hippies they would be old now
Old 2007-03-27, 1:25pm
ManBearPig

In Virginia it's legal as well so long as they are new and unused.

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-27, 8:48pm
~raven~

its legal in canada to sell parifinalia
Old 2007-03-28, 1:21am

watch it with the "if they were hippies they are old now" talk.... Lots of people try to tiptoe around the pipe laws and so long as they know their ummm....more than toes are on the line, I say it's up to them. Blowing pipes does teach alot of different skills in working with boro.

old hippie
Old 2007-03-28, 1:53am
Entropy increasing....

Didn't John Ashcroft bust Tommy Chong for selling pipes on the internet?

Don't they know you can make a pipe out of a coke can if you really want to get high? Or an apple?
Old 2007-03-28, 5:27am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonker View Post
watch it with the "if they were hippies they are old now" talk.... Lots of people try to tiptoe around the pipe laws and so long as they know their ummm....more than toes are on the line, I say it's up to them. Blowing pipes does teach alot of different skills in working with boro.

old hippie
Yeah. Many of the techniques used today came from pipe-makers. Inside-out beads came from pipes. Reversals, wig-wags, and similar techniques also came from pipes.

Some techniques, like reticellos, have been used for hundreds of years in traditional furnace glass blowing, but I firmly believe that if pipe-makers had not adopted those techniques to be used in their own work, you wouldn't see them around these days.

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-28, 6:08am
ManBearPig

Oh... I love how this thread has a one star rating...

•
•
•
Old 2007-03-28, 10:15am

No they busted tommy chong because HIS SON sold glass on the internet,
He nore His son even broke a single law. He pleaded guilty to just get it all over with. But he never broke the law. And to this day he is pretty animit that HE never borke any law because he never sold a dirty pipe and him being a chariture in any movies is not a connection to drug use. The goverment implied that because he is CHONG in the cheech and chong movies that makes his stuff pot pipes.

Oh and about Texas and toys being illegal . Thats not the only thing
PYREX is illlegal to own in the state of texas without a permit. Even raw tube and rod also ANY glass item that can hold more then 5 litters or more is illegal in texas. or any thing that can even be constued as "Lab ware" like for instance a measering cup made of pyrex. A Pyrex pie plate, A beaker, flask

Intent is not considered and is not allowed as a defence. IE it don't matter to the state if you have for 100% legal ressone. PYREX only for drug manifacturing If you don't have a permit for it.

I think thats 100x's more stupid then any laws saying someone can't sell a used pipe with residue in it. or imply its for illegal drug use.
Old 2007-03-28, 4:07pm

Well, I know some guys that could make a pipe from effetre as easy as boro. Okay they might crack the first couple...but they could get it done. Thank goodness they allow cutlery there....so folks can eat.