LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2013-05-16, 7:52am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Cherri, so glad you got to play! The Poppy Gardens in the top photo turned out great - Same with the Gooseberry Harvest beads! In that second photo, I see a Lily Pad Gardens bead - 2nd bead down, middle top!! With the powder, I think it doesn't work because it just doesn't spread out like frit does...has a great look to it though - very organic! I also like the Opal Yellow on the bottom left with what looks like Raku frit - really nice combo there...heck, they're all great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by *Naos*; 2013-05-16 at 8:05am.
Old 2013-05-16, 8:52pm

Thank you so much.. Means a lot coming from you. I played and played and played. Had fun.. You nailed one of the lily pad.. hehehehe, however, no raku anywhere.. However, just for giggles on few of the I hit them hard with a reducing flame.. One was really awesome in that when I did the bead and reduced the heck out of garaged it. Then put them in the cold kiln and went through the normal cycle, it CHANGED in to a really pretty cool bead.. Wouldn't you know it.. I did not do the final shaping because it was not looking so cool.. LOL Now to figure out what I did and do it again.
Thanks again.. can't wait to see more tutorials..
If anyone is holding off on this tutorial, don't .. It is awesome and I got it to play nice with me after the second bead, I had it goin on.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2013-05-17, 2:01am
what's a senior moment ?

I think I'm finally getting it. The thing with mine are I have to use larger frit. Makes a difference I think. Plus with a couple of these, I didn't do the proper order according to the tutorial. lol ! Just jumped the gun a bit and ended up adding an extra layer of one of the componets. I rather like this little group.
The pics are of both sides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-17, 5:35am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Debbie, the tabs have a Peacock feather quality to them! I especially like the round. Larger frit just might be the key to those with hotter torches than mine.

Old 2013-05-17, 9:43am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Larger frit just might be the key to those with hotter torches than mine.
Thanks for the nice words Amber.
I think you might be right about the larger frit. I made a few more today and before they went in the kiln, I took a good look at them and they looked pretty good. We shall see..........................

Old 2013-05-17, 10:10am

I just got back from pulling my first group out of the kiln. (they're in the dunk tank soaking).

Yup .. I vote for bigger frit and Leslie is having a sale this weekend. I compared the sizing off Z to G on her site and the Z size 1 is much larger than G's so I ordered R and G.

I'm getting too much reaction. My best attempts came from switching to silver frit.

Old 2013-05-17, 10:16am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Laura, you're on NG right? It's been reported that switching the steps works better...frit on top of silver.

Old 2013-05-17, 11:14am

Quote:
Laura, you're on NG right? It's been reported that switching the steps works better...frit on top of silver.
No ... I'm still on propane. I tried switching the steps as well today anyways ... just to see if the frit would react less. I even did one on E. Ivory ... lol.

I'm just having a blast playing. It's a great tutorial and lends itself to so much variation but switching up!!

Old 2013-05-17, 1:08pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Laura, that's great! Tis what it's all about!

Old 2013-05-17, 7:32pm
KitseyBelle

These are made with Opal Yellow base, frit and silver. I forgot to order the other ingredient.

The second bead from the left I got really hot and almost lost it off the mandrel.

The last bead, far right, I used a Moretti teal that was on my workbench.

Sorry the photos aren't that great, I used my cell phone.

Love this tutorial and it has sent my mind in so many ways that I can't wait to try out. Thanks again, Amber, for sharing your techniques.

Jennefer
Old 2013-05-17, 7:34pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I believe when you get the other ingredient, which is available from Arrowsprings, you'll have it down! That said, I love the look of these, too! The Teal is gorgeous!

Old 2013-05-19, 11:07am

Ok, I got to try out the tutorial. The first picture is following the steps except I used white as the base. The two on the right have no enamel.

And this one, I made stringer out of the purple rose frit and did some line work. These are also on white with no enamel.

Old 2013-05-19, 12:21pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Cheryl, they look great!!!! If you use a little less enamel on the CG ones, I think you'll have it absolutely nailed - yay! I love that you took it farther with the second batch and did something unique - that's wonderful!

Old 2013-05-19, 4:58pm

Thanks Amber. I really have a hard time getting just a light coat of enamel, but that's ok. I actually may try some other enamel colors just for fun and see how it looks. It's a great technique and I thank you so much for sharing it!

Old 2013-05-19, 6:10pm
Storm Queen

You inspired me Cheryl. I love the two on the far right so I did your combo today and encased them. I think they'll be really pretty.

Old 2013-05-19, 6:40pm

Can't wait to see them Amy!

Old 2013-05-22, 6:37pm
Ezzy

Got to play today and made a few of the first recipe. I love, love, love the way they came out and I must say that I always thought you used a "secret ingredient" to get one of your affects, just turns out it's heat control. I think this is the first tutorial I ever had where I got the exact same affect as in the picture the first time. Thank you so much for sharing with us.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2013-05-22, 6:57pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Oh please post photos! I'd love to see them, Pixie!

Old 2013-05-24, 9:50am
Storm Queen

Here's one I did on white and encased. It's one of those beads that is much prettier in person...

Old 2013-05-24, 11:58am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I love the colors, Amy! It reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it!

Old 2013-05-24, 7:12pm
Ezzy

Quote:
I love the colors, Amy! It reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it!
It reminds me of a caramel macchiato! Very pretty.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2013-05-25, 11:36am
what's a senior moment ?

Well, so far, this is what I've come up with using your tut Amber. My favorites are the unetched ones. Just something about them draws me in. They look MUCH better in person too. They were a bear to photograph.

Old 2013-05-25, 3:15pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

That's a very pretty haul, Debbie!

You switched to Size 2 frit, right? What size are your rounds? The beads I make are usually 9mm x 12mm.

Old 2013-05-25, 5:37pm
what's a senior moment ?

Thanks Amber for the compliment. I meant to add that three of those sets do NOT follow the tut exactly either. Some elements are missing or doubled. Only one set, the top small set, follows the tut exactly.
The frit is the standard size 1. All of the rounds are 2 sizes - 12x12mm and 15x15mm. Donuts are 7x13mm.
I have some smaller size frit coming next week. Will be interesting to see how that works out.

Last edited by dla; 2013-05-25 at 5:41pm.
Old 2013-05-26, 2:27pm
beads....mmmm

This sorta-kinda follows Amy's lovely tutorial. I flipped the order of ingredients, too.

Thanks, Amy!

::
Old 2013-05-26, 2:49pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Very Pretty, Deb! Love the blue mixed in there...really makes the purples and rusts POP!

Old 2013-05-26, 7:53pm

It's a great tutorial, and it inspires you to try your own combinations of frit, enamel and base color. So far I still like the white base best, as far as my beads go.

Old 2013-06-03, 5:26pm

So i made my first set and it is kinda meh. I think my frit is too small. I will try it with some larger. But the most surprising thing is I used a tumbler, don't have anymore acid wash, and it rubbed alot of the stuff off the beads!
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-03, 7:16pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Pat, oh wow, that's an interesting reaction. I've never tumbled beads but it seems like it did remove the surface layer, where all the silver and enamel would be. Can you make some and leave them glossy and let me see them? Then I can diagnose what to do.

Old 2013-06-04, 7:00am

Yes, I'm going to have to try some more. Thanks.

Tags
hot head tut, hothead friendly, hothead tutorial, lampwork tutorial, lily pad gardens, naos glass, success!