Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-06-07, 12:01pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Questions On Oxy & Gas Use Rate

I am looking at getting a Nortel Minor torch for small item lampworking.

What size oxygen tank to propane tank should I be renting or purchasing for refills? How fast is oxygen used compared to propane?

What should I be aware of when I make this switch?

Thank you for any help on this. I have only used a Hothead.
Old 2010-06-07, 2:40pm

My understanding is the oxygen runs out much faster than the propane. The place I took my one and only class had oxygen tanks taller than me lol and regular 20 lb propane tanks. I think it only matters as to how often you want to switch them out and how much money you want to spend.
I have also heard that its a new learning curve as the dual torches are hotter so everything melts (and burns lol) faster.
Can't help with the rest since I just got my cricket today and will be setting it up this week sometime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-07, 2:43pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have never used tanks, but I remember someone posting that they got 10 hours on their minor out of a K tank - and they were shocked it was so little time. A bunch of people posted to the effect of "yep, sounds about right". Propane, on the other hand, lasts forever. 100 plus hours.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-07, 3:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I have never used tanks, but I remember someone posting that they got 10 hours on their minor out of a K tank - and they were shocked it was so little time. A bunch of people posted to the effect of "yep, sounds about right". Propane, on the other hand, lasts forever. 100 plus hours.
Yikes! Sounds like I need to look for a concentrator when I'm ready to switch.

Old 2010-06-07, 3:37pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

A cricket will get more hours, for sure. I have two 5 lpm oxycons and it won't even use all the oxy they can produce when I have them both set at 4 lpm. The minor easily can use the 8 plus more if i let it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-07, 3:38pm
Alaska Boro

With a Cricket it is about 24 hours per gallon of propane. No idea on the oxygen as that is supplied by a set of concentrators. With O2 tanked and with a raging torch your hours per gallon of propane will be less.
Old 2010-06-07, 3:42pm

I have a Minor with bulk propane and a K Tank of oxy. I've had the O2 for over a month and will need it refilled this week (maybe next). I torch about 2 hrs a day,small to medium beads mostly soft glass, maybe more on the weekend. It's going to depend on how long you torch a day and what you torch.

Old 2010-06-07, 5:58pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Wow, thats interesting to read all your comments and info. Sounds like a Cricket is the most economical on tank oxy.

How does a Cricket compare to a Nortel Minor? Does anyone know?
Old 2010-06-20, 8:13pm
Dynamic Duo

Made the switch from hothead to a minor about a year ago now. Was amazed at how fast oxy was used up! Especially if you like to make beads 3-4 hours at a time, minimum 3 days a week. Getting an oxy concentrator (via arrow springs) was such a relief. It paid for itself within 4 - 5 months, and no longer had to wrestle with huge oxygen tanks, transporting them around to get filled, chaining them up, etc.

Old 2010-06-20, 11:57pm
PyronamixK

When I first started testing the Cricket (I did the original testing for GTT), I found that on a 5 LPM oxygen concentrator, it was hotter than a Minor. When Willy and I brought them to Open Torch at the Gathering in Oakland for their debut, several people ran them on tanked oxygen and said that they felt they were hotter than the Minor. I have not done any melt tests on tanked oxygen to be able to tell you definitively if that is really the case.
Old 2010-06-21, 3:05pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you all, and I bookmarked kbinkster for when I am ready to get one!

Do the Cricket and the Minor have the ability to be pinpoint for detail work, as well as bushy like the Hothead?
Old 2010-06-21, 4:51pm
PyronamixK

The Cricket has a better pinpoint, but the Minor is a little wider than the Cricket. Neither are as bushy as your HotHead - but that's o.k. They are both better at delivering a more penetrating flame that soaks into the glass and stays in longer than it did with your Hot Head.