LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-06-21, 6:03am

torch, kiln and tanks installed. now waiting for ventilation......
Old 2012-06-21, 9:35am
shirts

Hey!! I have the same kiln! Things are coming together!! Can you come up here and help me install my torch? I am totally intimidated... It is the only thing standing in the way of me torching, cause everything else is DONE!!
Congratulations on all of your work!!
Old 2012-06-21, 7:16pm

lol - i completely understand. i was comfortable in my own place. we lit the torch yesterday to test it, and i was waiting for something to blow up. i had a dinner appt tonight and got home about 830.... i did not rush out there to torch - still a bit nervous.

you are super woman though - you have built, tiled and constructed almost all of this on your own - don't let the torch beat you.

tell you what, i will race you to see who torches first this weekend. my daughter is having a boy/girl pool party on saturday afternoon. (only 10 kids) i won't be getting much torching done then, lol.

Jen
Old 2012-06-21, 7:33pm
shirts

It won't be me... I have a friend's birthday party tomorrow (making the cake) and then I am heading off to another friend's birthday weekend - a ladies' weekend - FIRST TIME AWAY SINCE THE BABY WAS BORN!! Youppii!! (and I seem to have "misplaced" to regulator... I think - I don't actually know what it does or what it is... But I can't find the thing with the dials... Sigh. I will replace it if I don't find it in the next couple of days - can I buy it from a welding shop or is something a lampwork specific thingy?).
Annie.
Old 2012-06-21, 7:42pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Lots of things have dials. Tvs, radios, etc. Regulators have guages and an adjusting 'T' handle or big plastic knob. JUST KIDDING

Regulators (propane) are not specific to lampworking. The standard propane regulator used for acetylene is universally used for propane regulation in the lampworking arena. In most cases they are identical. Some will tell you that there are different seal formulas in propane vs Acetylene but my regulator repain guy says not.

Welding store it is. Harbor Freight has good deals on them also but don't expect them to last more than 5 or 10 years
Old 2012-06-21, 7:53pm

lol - i hope you have a great girls weekend. i am a firm believer in those, try to take at least one every year. my husband is my best friend, but some dedicated girl friend time is still a needed.

I hope you are going someplace fun AND relaxing. I will toast you Saturday night when all of the teenagers leave my house.
Old 2012-06-22, 1:21am
shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Lots of things have dials. Tvs, radios, etc. Regulators have guages and an adjusting 'T' handle or big plastic knob. JUST KIDDING

Regulators (propane) are not specific to lampworking. The standard propane regulator used for acetylene is universally used for propane regulation in the lampworking arena. In most cases they are identical. Some will tell you that there are different seal formulas in propane vs Acetylene but my regulator repain guy says not.

Welding store it is. Harbor Freight has good deals on them also but don't expect them to last more than 5 or 10 years
re: dials, LOL! I have just spent a bit of time noodling online and learning a bit more about regulators and setting up the propane and torch (darned cat fight outside that woke me up at 3am!!! At least I am being productive now cause later today, after so little sleep, I won't be all that useful!). I feel like I have a better understanding of things now.

Re: Harbour Freight - I live in Canada and we don't have that store... Everything I read/hear tells me that I should be making a special trip there, the next time I am in the US!!

Jen - good luck with the teenagers!!

Annie.
Old 2012-06-26, 6:55pm

ok Annie - did you set up your torch? I finally sat down tonight for a bit. only 5 or 6 beads, but it felt good to torch after 2 years. i need to post a new pic though, now that tropical storm debby has visted, the studio in my back yard is now water front property. i have to wear my dairy boots to get back there, lol.

Jen
Old 2012-06-26, 7:01pm
shirts

Oooh!! Good for you!! Nope, I haven't done it yet - I am so intimidated!! Although I had a breakthrough re: the regulator... I don't think that I ever got one cause the lady I bought the studio set up from was using natural gas (I think... you can do that with a Minor, right?). I have a call in to a propane guy and hopefully he will come by tomorrow... Kind of anti-climactic to have hit such a lull after so much work...
How lovely that you now have waterfront property!! Yikes! It had been 2 years since you torched?!?! It must have felt phenomenal!! Bravo!!
Looking forward to seeing the pictures!
Annie.
Old 2012-06-26, 10:03pm

That place looks nicer than my first appartment
Old 2012-06-27, 5:03am

Let me know when you are set up Annie - Thanks Drew - trust me when I say it is nicer than my first apartment also..... actually, also nicer than a few places i lived growing up, lol. I am very fortunate.
Old 2012-06-27, 5:46am

The new and improved, WATERFRONT studio. Hope this goes down soon. The mosquito's are TERRIBLE! Swarming like love bugs. UGH.
Old 2012-06-28, 3:01am

Oh, Jen, that looks bad. The rivers haven't peaked yet, so we'll see how bad the flooding gets out here, but so far, not as bad as your property looks. Looks like your little castle has a moat! Sure is cute, though. Can't wait to see more pictures of the inside as you go.
Toni
Old 2012-07-21, 6:50pm

Coming to the end of studio construction. Still need a frit shelf and some odds and ends, but it is up and running. Thanks for all the ideas, tips and support.

Sorry the images of ventilation aren't very clear. I didn't think to take pics until after I had moved the glass in.

Old 2012-07-24, 4:17pm
shirts

FANTASTIC!! That reminds me that I should post a couple of more pictures now that my little studio is mostly finished (it is functional, which means that it might NEVER get finished!!). Now let's see some of the beads that you are making in that glorious space!

In fact, I am going to stop typing right now and go and make some beads!! Congratulations on your beautiful space!!
Annie.
Old 2012-07-24, 6:29pm

Thanks Annie. Still to shy to post bead pics, but I have been out there. Maybe after my class in Sept. I was just out there a little bit ago, trying one of the bobbin beads for my daughter. She is in sewing camp and wants to wear it this week.

I love your beads though, so please keep posting.
Jen
Old 2012-07-25, 4:40am

Here Annie. My first 2 bobbin beads. A little rough..... Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343216450.357372.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  29.8 KB
Old 2012-07-25, 12:16pm

Wow, Jen. It looks great. I haven't checked in on this since the flooding. Great space to work in.

Toni
Old 2012-07-25, 4:57pm
shirts

YAY!! That is so great!! How to you keep the bobbin from spinning around while you add the glass?? I am intrigued!! Thanks so much for posting (and for the compliments about my own little beads - there are not anything fancy - just trying to get them round and practice evenly spacing the dots... I figure no one will confuse MY beads for being machine-made...!).
Keep having fun! My neighbour is coming over to help me with some web stuff tonight... (got the afternoon in the studio - so lucky!!).
Annie.
Old 2012-07-29, 6:53pm

Frit shelf! Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343613215.374243.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  38.2 KB
Old 2012-07-29, 6:55pm

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343613262.325640.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  57.1 KB

My last pic. The view from the studio when it is raining.
Old 2012-08-02, 9:48am

Jen, that's a mighty inspiring view. You should put a salt lick out there to attract the deer. In this heat, they're at mine daily, and it makes my day watching them.

Still haven't gotten started on my little trailer setup. It's been so hot that I can't stand working outside for long enough to do much good. Ready for fall.

Toni
Old 2012-08-02, 6:56pm

Thanks Toni! You can come play when you want. I am about 8 miles morth of gvl. i understand about the heat; over here it is the mosqitos. We are getting ready to leave for the keys, but once we get back, and school starts, i'd love to get together and meet you for lunch or something. My friend Diana torches and she lives in High Springs.

Jen
Old 2012-12-07, 5:23am

The studio has been in use since July/August. I have very much enjoyed, and I imagine my family has benefited, lol, having a place to escape to. I see people have posted studio in use pics, so I thought I would post an update. Happy Holidays everyone! Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354883008.817239.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  58.7 KB
Old 2012-12-08, 9:35pm
shirts

WOW!! You have settled in quite nicely! I have been thinking that I need to post some "finished shots" of my little studio... But I have been too busy torching to bother with pictures!! How are the beads coming along?!?!
Annie.
Old 2012-12-09, 6:39am

Hey Annie, Merry Christmas. The beads are ok. I am happy with them, still working on consistency. I did decide to go w/my mistakes and made a bunch of teadrop like pendants. They are uneven on purpose, lol. The ladies in my office love them. Please post of a pic of your studio "in use." and beads.
Jen

[ATTACH]132121
Attached Images

Old 2012-12-10, 10:34am

Wow, Moushka! I love your studio!! It turned out so nice!
Bea