LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-05-30, 11:05am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!
Default Building ... New Studio

I've tried searching but either I'm not searching right words or I'm totally missing things ... or ...

Anyway, to cut it short, we just bought a lot of land up in Maine and we will be building (phased) and hubby has said I can include a studio in the project with just the proviso "a reasonable size, don't go overboard!" so ...... (of course not!! ... and this is the man who says what on earth do you need more glass for ... NO MORE! Y'd think he'd learned!! I have to try to be good!).

We will have a sea view at the end of the day once trees are cleared and the lot goes down to a beach ... sorry no photos as yet, will post when I can get some but I won't be there again until early July.

I would very much appreciate any input before even going to an architect and starting plans (studio will be just a part of a bigger project), things I should think of/plan for in advance, what to include etc. and of course, what NOT to do () ... building in the US is very different than here at home and we will have to rely on someone up there to manage it for us. We have two people, the one I have met and he is super and I trust him but I have to admit I will find it a little nerve racking not being able to oversee the project, the other he recommended and a lot of others in the neighbourhood!

Most the projects I've seen are in rooms in a house or in a shed which are a set size to start with which I have thought about ... which would probably be easier as the parameters are set but .. to be able to build exactly what I want ....!!

But as it stands, size/floor shape has to be decided first I guess and then go from there - I guess. I don't want to waste space, but don't want to cram myself in .... I'm stumped!! So many times I've daydreamed and now ... I'm blank!

Things I'm thinking in advance:

electrical allowance required (outlets/lighting/kiln/ventilation)
ventilation set up
lighting
tile/concrete floor
gas supply (outside)
safe site for oxy
insulation
glass storage
supplies storage
toilet (!!)

What have I missed?

Oh yeh ... I think this will have to be away from the main house ... does that help for insurance purposes. I will have to find out what insurance company some of the other people we know up there use. I have absolutely no idea!

I'm not planning on giving classes at thisi point, but it would be fun if at some point to have some friends in to introduce to torch with me ...

I won't be able to check back every day but ... let me know what advice/ideas you can give me!

Thank you for stopping by!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin

Last edited by LemonwoodStudio; 2012-05-30 at 11:09am.
Old 2012-05-30, 11:39am

If you are going to the expense of a toilet, make room for a sink in the studio. Also, countertops, what material?

Just a couple of two cents.

Oh, and you lucky dog!!
Old 2012-05-30, 1:59pm
Salt Box Beads

The first place you start is with local CC&R's if any, then county regulations,

Someplaces have a % rule of the amount of buildings that can cover property. Some say only 40% of the land space can be covered in actual buildings.

Start there.

Then decide if you want natural gas or tanked, sink, toilet? Plumbing can be very expensive for raw land.

Think about light and windows placements. Do you want it light and airy or a small cave like feel where you hide away and create? Do you want the studio to look like a barn with half door? or be the same style as your home?

Lots of books at Home depot with shed/studio pictures. Find something you really like and go for it.

If I had the money I would make a Pippi Longstockings style studio..

Good luck and have fun, be creative because you are an artist. It should show in your studio and it should be the one place where you are defined as an artist. JMHO..LOL

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-05-31 at 8:35am.
Old 2012-05-30, 1:59pm

Hi Dweezil - thanks!! You're right, definitely a sink, hopefully a double one if I can work it. I'll probably get some odd pieces of stainless or something like that for countertops ... and of course fire extinguisher should go on the list.

Old 2012-05-30, 2:09pm

Hi Lorraine .. thanks for your advice. Some questions - and sorry if I sound very ignorant .... I am!!

What are CC&R's?
County regulations - project manager will do the planning applications so he must know about the regulations, though I don't think he's overseen building a glass studio before! I will check for sure. I know he's done other projects in the area and I've only ever heard good things about him.

Lot is 3 acres so I think (hopefully) we will be well under site coverage.

We're building a house, and there is nothing on the land at all so it has to be from scratch and I really would like the studio away from the house and not keen on running back and forth when I'm in my 'zone' doing glass!!

Not sure re gas ... will have to see what type they use up there mostly, I'd prefer propane (LP?).

Light and airy, barn door type style ... no Home Depot here in Bermuda to go have a look, but, will go when I'm next up there in July to have a look, good idea - tx! Maybe large glass windows looking out to the water ...

Just found a pic of a sort of Pippi Longstockings house ... nice and quirky!

Old 2012-05-31, 5:12am

One more idea. If you are going to be working in all kinds of weather, depending on how far your shed is from your home, I would suggest some type of covered walk way. I live in Florida and my studio is on the back side of the pool (sounds great I know) but when it is raining, I am either stuck inside the house or the studio or running with an umbrella. Moisture and dipped mandrels does not work well.

CCR's are community covenants and restrictions. However, if you are on three acres, doubt if there are any you need to worry about.

Dweezil
Old 2012-05-31, 6:12am

Thanks Dweezil .. I was thinking about the distance from house to studio ... not sure yet but it does rain a bunch up there!! At least it is cool in summer - compared to here!!

Old 2012-05-31, 6:23am
Lampworkaholic!

First and foremost, you want a sea view! I face a wall now and my dream studio will have a view, plus heat and air conditioning. You may not need air conditioning in Maine!

Maine is on our bucket list of places to visit. Maybe summer 2013?! Where in Maine will you be?

Liz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-05-31, 7:46am

When we bought our current house here in New Orleans, it included an apartment over the garage (mother in law type unit). This is what I converted into my studio. My DH ran Natural gas to my torch area for me. We are still able to use the apartment for guests as it is completely furnished. With the Natural gas I never have to worry about tanks being empty etc. I also have areas for jewelry making, stained glass, cleaning beads. When I know we are having people come to town to stay with us (which amounts to once a year or so) I just put some (not all) of my equipment away in cabinets.

I would definitely say heat and ac should be a priority along with your ventilation.

Think about how many different areas you need.....torch area, storage area, jewelry making area, light tent area, etc. Do you want built in glass storage or glass storage you can move around. There is a thread in the studio section where you can see my glass storage that my DH build for me.....http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=217165
this glass storage works really well because I can roll it right up next to me while I am torching and enables me to get whatever glass I might need on a spur of a moment, but I can also roll it out of the way when need be.

My studio also has a sliding door and small balcony that looks out on the canal that runs through my backyard which is great if I need to take a break etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-05-31, 8:44am
Salt Box Beads

C C & R's are codes and regulations. Sometimes in very pretty places like Bermuda they want the place to stay pretty so they may have a code that any out buildings have to resemble the house, same colors and style to keep it more uniform looking.

I love these books linked below for you and they have so many different womens and a few mens studios from all over the world. I am sure you would get inspired. You may have to order them from a bookstore or from Amazon.com. You can even flip through several pages on Amazon and see a few of the studios before you buy the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Creativ.../dp/1596683988

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Women-Cr.../dp/1402712294
Old 2012-05-31, 10:25am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

If it wouldn't be cost prohibitive, ideally, I would make the studio on the second floor of the main house...with a half bath (toilet and sink in one fell swoop!) and French doors leading to a second floor deck area overlooking the best view of the sea. I'd have LOTS of windows surrounding the room and lots of storage area so that stuff can be put away (hidden) if you need the room for a guest suite. Floors should be stone or tile so that they can be easily cleaned. With the second floor option and all the windows, you would enhance the sea view plus be in the house in case of bad weather. If you still want propane instead of natural gas, the second floor deck would be perfect for tank storage outdoors. The counters would be stainless or natural stone, with lower doored and shelved cabinets for storage of all your supplies. Just my lustful dreaming...

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2012-05-31, 12:07pm
Cave Dweller

A view ???

I am way too busy looking at flame and melting glass to enjoy a view.
If I relaxed with a nice view I'd burn my fingers off.

Old 2012-06-05, 5:45am

Liz - it is in Winter Harbor, just LOVE it up there,it is so relaxing and absolutely beautiful. Acadia National Park is 2 minutes away, Mount Desert about half an hour .... Temp is perfect in summer, not humid like home ... Please do visit and you would be welcome to come torch .. I have no idea how long things take to build up there but much quicker than home I am told!

Tillie, tx! I'm just worried about home insurance if the studio is in the main house, which I need to look into. I am kind of thinking that I would rather be away from everything ...

Autumn, thank you. I love the storage your DH built, lots of things to think about stations. I think I need to find out about home insurance before making a final decision. I thought if the studio was away from the house the it would be better from insurance point of view and I know insurance could be an issue.

Lorraine, thanks. Yes Bermuda has CCRs out the ying yang! Thank you for the link, I need to sit down and have a look. I am at Bead and Button so that would be a nice break!

Role ... What can I say ...

We will be up there at the end of this month, can't wait. We had the perk test done which worked out ok in the end, thank goodness! Now have to walk the site and see what we can and cannot clear for the view ...

Then get an architect and hope that it won't cost as much as back home! Any advice for dealing with architects in the US would be gratefully received!!

Old 2012-06-07, 3:45pm

You'll need to address the winter issues up there. If you're from Bermuda, I hope you've spent a winter in Maine prior to this. It can be a bit of a shock. Your insulation will need to be top notch if you're planning on using the studio in winter, and you need to think about getting to and from the house in snow. A view can really be inspirational, and although I live in the woods in north Florida, I can't imagine being in a cave-like studio. I work with as much open air and light as possible. I hope you'll post pictures as you go along. This should be a fascinating and inspiring project. Good luck, and keep posting.

Toni
Old 2012-06-07, 3:51pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role View Post
A view ???

I am way too busy looking at flame and melting glass to enjoy a view.
If I relaxed with a nice view I'd burn my fingers off.
Hey, I know people who watch TV while they work.

Resting my eyes on a nice sea view (between beads of course) would be pretty fail safe for me.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-06-12, 8:12am

Thanks Toni ... we're not planning on spending winters there though I should plan on your advice just in case!!!

I'm heading to the Maine Home & Design show at the end of the month to look at architects for the whole project, should be interesting to see how differently they work to Bermuda!

Old 2012-06-15, 8:00am

Amanda
I would build it as big as possible and bigger than you think you need!

[url="https://www.instagram.com/nohlineartjewelry/]
Old 2012-06-19, 8:46am
Fire Monkey

Oooohh....Maine!
Playing With Fire Studio is in Rockland Maine. You'll love their facilities!

Old 2012-06-19, 9:37am
Dianne Gleaton

Put outlets at counter level, much easier for ease of use. My studio started out as a seperate building 16'x32'. For sewing....have added stained glass, lampworking , scrapbooking, and jewelry making, and have outgrown it. So if any other hobbies are included, keep that in mind as well as storage for all supplies. Plan for a screened door, even if not installed at the onset, your weather will allow an open door a great deal of the time, but also bugs. My studio has a seperated area for storage....which includes the toilet, utility sink, microwave and refrigerator. I also have internet, cable and telephone service. Just some more thoughts. I have AC, but don't use it when torching
due to futility with the torch heat overcoming the AC. Ceiling fans help. Oh, good lighting from windows and ceiling lights, as well as OTT lights. Dianne
Old 2012-06-19, 4:21pm

Agree with the outlets at counter level. I had asked my husband, didn't get them, lol and he has graciously tiled in a lovely table/counter that wraps half the room. now he has put molding on to finish it, and i will be drilling holes in the counter to pull up cords........ most important, - Plan and Enjoy!
Old 2012-06-20, 5:44pm
I'm meeeeelting

I'd suggest putting outlets close to floor level and counter level. The lower ones are great for oxy concentrators and space heaters and the upper ones for kiln (on it's own circuit), any kind of electrical device used for warming rods or murrini, stereo or mp3 player, etc.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-07-04, 3:48pm

Thank you Dianne, Moushka and Felicia ... We are in Maine now and planning like mad, meeting architects next week on site, have narrowed to 3, have been honest with them all (they all know each other), that they will all do an initial sketch plan and we will choose one to go with. All have agreed so I meet all on site at different times next week. Now I go to drop kids off at camp tomorrow and go to open torch tomorrow at Plays with Fire in Rockland ... And class with Pipyr this weekend! Yay!

Old 2012-07-04, 5:39pm
Salt Box Beads

How exciting.
Keep us updated...pics required.
Old 2012-09-29, 9:57am

All is going well .. floor plans for the carriage house are almost finalised. I will have an 8x22 studio on the side!! Yay .. managed to get the pics loaded!! The first is looking out to the water. Eventually a few trees will come down for a bit more of the view. We have a driveway too!!! It's coming along slowly!!!
Attached Images

Old 2012-09-30, 8:34am
Dianne Gleaton

Just a fantastic location. Your very lucky, keep us updated as I for one, will follow your progress. Dianne
Old 2012-09-30, 11:01am
Salt Box Beads

Thanks for the pics, can't wait to see what you do with your new space.
Old 2012-09-30, 12:55pm

Thanks! We have to blast go get the foundation depth as it is all ledge up there, hopefully the slab will be laid fairly shortly and the builder hopes to get the frame up and closed in so that they can work through winter - if it's not a harsh winter. Fingers crossed! We go up at the end of October so will have more pics then. I need to start thinking about studio layout!

Old 2012-09-30, 2:47pm

Amanda
What a beautiful location. Hope you get that far before the weather changes. Keep us posted.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/nohlineartjewelry/]
Old 2012-10-01, 4:56pm

They started blasting today (not the stick of dynamite and run for it type of blasting .... it's all very civilised, they come and video the neighbouring houses before starting, then do it again when finished to check for any cracks/damage and apparently their insurance pays for any damage), and whilst blasting they use heavy mats to stop debris flying everywhere, and help absorb shocks), so hoping for pics from the contractor in the next day or so!!!

Old 2012-10-02, 11:30am
No Longer an LE Member

Your electrical usage. Take what you think you need and double it. Better to have the option to expand than to run out of juice from the get go. Plus its a ton cheaper to upgrade in the building/layout stage than down the line. See if you can get your own 200 amp sub pannel just for the studio. Lighting lighty and more lighting. Desing it in such a way that things are modular and can be moved around easily. Sometimes the original vision you have on paper doesnt really flow as well in real life. Measure everything out graph it out and need be find a piece of large concrete with some sidewalk chalk and draw you a full scale model on the ground and walk around it. 8x22 sounds large in theory but once you get benches and shelves in the 8 foot decreases greatly. Also plan your ventilation and make up air and see if you can tuck the majority of the ducting in the ceiling and keep the fan housed outside to eliminate noise... have fun most of all. Building a studio from the ground up is a fun but stressful process!