Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2014-02-02, 6:12pm
Heart of Flame

Default Free Hosting Site Where I can use my own Domain?

Is there such a beast out there?

Can you help me? Do you know of a free website that will let me design my own site and then use my already purchased GoDaddy domain?

I had thought that Weebly would let me do this but they want monthly payment now - not Wix either...

Any suggestions will happily be researched!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-02-03, 8:51pm
Heart of Flame

Hmm, does this silence mean that this does not exist? Do I need to bite the bullet and pay?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-02-04, 1:54pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

I could be wrong, but am 99.999% sure that if you wish to use your specific domain name for a website then you'll need to pay a hosting company to host it. (Unless you have geek friends who can/will host it for you?) Otherwise, you could find one of those freebie build-it sites and go from there. Those can be somewhat limiting in capability though, all depends on what you plan to do?

You could also do the freebie build-it site thing and have your domain name point to it, via redirect, that way if someone entered in your domain name they'd still end up at your site. I'm not sure if you can do this without a hosting company though. (My host allows me to redirect the .net/.org versions to the .com site.)

Someone more currently tech savvy would need to truly respond. =)

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on

Last edited by MistyCherie; 2014-02-04 at 1:57pm.
Old 2014-02-04, 4:50pm
Heart of Flame

Thank you for your response MistyCherie... It does look like I need to pay! LOL

Old 2014-02-04, 5:04pm
I fart diamonds

I don't know of any free ones any more, but there are several that cost $10 per year, which is less than $1 per month. Even less if you pay for more than 1 year at a time. I've used Dayanahost for years.

Old 2014-02-04, 7:07pm
Uh Oh....

I don't know of any free ones anymore. There is wordpress.com but you have to buy the domain name from them. Since you didn't, your domain name would have to be forwarded which I believe now costs $17.00 a year.

Another way is if you have a high speed connection and don't expect your website to get over used, you could request a static IP from your ISP and host it on your home computer. If you're going to get tons of traffic though your ISP will shut you down.

Old 2014-02-04, 7:32pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewkittie View Post
I don't know of any free ones anymore. There is wordpress.com but you have to buy the domain name from them. Since you didn't, your domain name would have to be forwarded which I believe now costs $17.00 a year.

Another way is if you have a high speed connection and don't expect your website to get over used, you could request a static IP from your ISP and host it on your home computer. If you're going to get tons of traffic though your ISP will shut you down.
Godaddy doesn't charge for forwarding domains.

Old 2014-02-04, 8:06pm
Uh Oh....

They don't but Wordpress.com charges to use your forwarded domain name. Else, you get the standard xyzname.wordpress.com name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Godaddy doesn't charge for forwarding domains.

Old 2014-02-04, 8:18pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewkittie View Post
They don't but Wordpress.com charges to use your forwarded domain name. Else, you get the standard xyzname.wordpress.com name.
If you forward with masking, you'll see your domain name, not the wordpress domain. There are always ways around the system...

Old 2014-02-04, 8:30pm
Uh Oh....

wordpress.com does not work well with masking. Not sure if it does now. When I set my website up, they don't recommend it as their software doesn't play nicely. Things could have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
If you forward with masking, you'll see your domain name, not the wordpress domain. There are always ways around the system...

Old 2014-02-04, 8:58pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

If you are ok with a blog setup, tumblr will let you point a domain name.
Old 2014-02-10, 6:20pm
Heart of Flame

Thank you so much for all your responses....wow you all know a lot more than I do about all this....I will have to look to see what masking is.

I set up a website at weebly. I don't think I am up to the challenge of hosting on my home computer (and I hope for tons of traffic) GoDaddy will direct the traffic to weebly easily but weebly now wants money for this.

$10 a year is doable - I will check out Dayanahost....

Misty Cherie - what host company do you use?

Damselfly - I think I want more than a blog

Thanks everyone!

Old 2014-02-17, 10:21am
Redheaded Thread Killer

I use mediatemple.net - have had them for years and am grandfathered in for a nice rate. ~7 bucks a month. I think typical hosting is around 10 a month?

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2014-02-17, 4:42pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

If you're willing to pay for a few years up front, I know two businesses who use Westhost. Westhost has a sale going on right now, so if you pay three years up front for the basic plan (which is pretty substantial for a personal website), you get the cheapest rate ($4 a month) and they'll extend your hosting by an additional 18 months. So for $144, you get hosting for 4 1/2 years. That comes out to $2.67 a month.