Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2013-11-29, 9:21am

Default Sr Web Developer willing to help!

Hello Everyone,

Web development is my current trade, I have been doing PHP development since 1997. If you guys ever need any UI critique or help with your backend development (programming not the design) I am more than willing to help out. Note that I am not a web designer, my child can do better design than I can, however it's the logic and programming that I am very experienced with. I have seen the worst code in the world and have seen some of the greatest. I guess it's like glasswork the more experience and practice you have the better you will be when it comes to knowing how to implement something and how to not do something as well. Again I am on the programming side with PHP.

I am looking to get into glass why not help out the community if and when needed

I have worked for large corporations like Nokia and the Game Show Network and also small companies here in VT and around the country.

Feel free to reach out to me with any questions you may have regarding your websites.

Last edited by jcrawford; 2013-11-29 at 9:23am.
Old 2013-11-29, 10:01pm
Slogan Challenged...

So nice of you to offer, I hope this helps someone.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2013-12-05, 9:39am
ManBearPig

I've been doing web design (the front end stuff) for the better part of 15 years now. Maybe jcrawford and I should team up and be the "one stop LE web shop" or something...

•
•
•
Old 2013-12-05, 9:40am

Let's do it
Old 2013-12-05, 10:02am
Marble Lover

My company's new web site gets unveiled to the employees today - in fact, in 29 minutes. I've been working on it for a month and a half or so amidst all my other projects. It should go live on the web next week. Our current web site is bad - I mean, real bad. I used the Way Back Machine once and I think it looked the same back to around 2003. And it was bad then.

I didn't design it, I just developed it - Anytime I try to design a web site it looks horrible. That's why creative people exist! I don't have a creative bone in my body.

-BEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I've been doing web design (the front end stuff) for the better part of 15 years now. Maybe jcrawford and I should team up and be the "one stop LE web shop" or something...
Old 2013-12-06, 8:15am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
My company's new web site gets unveiled to the employees today - in fact, in 29 minutes. I've been working on it for a month and a half or so amidst all my other projects. It should go live on the web next week. Our current web site is bad - I mean, real bad. I used the Way Back Machine once and I think it looked the same back to around 2003. And it was bad then.

I didn't design it, I just developed it - Anytime I try to design a web site it looks horrible. That's why creative people exist! I don't have a creative bone in my body.

-BEP
Our new site launched this past week. I started working on it in May. May of 2012. It's tough playing the corporate game...

•
•
•
Old 2014-01-11, 10:30am
Chief Creative Goddess

That is very kind of you, JCrawford!!!

Old 2014-01-11, 11:45am
Melody of Glass

So nice of you guys to offer! I have a very minor issue with my site that I cannot resolve. When people sent emails to info at thealchemistsflame dot com before, I used to get them. I've made no changes but the emails no longer come through to me. I've tried to figure out what the issue is but no luck. Any thoughts?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-01-11, 11:47am

I would log into your web hosting control panel and then login to the web mail interface for that particular email address. Make sure that the emails are not going to a spam folder on your server keeping you from getting them. Another thing that could be happening is that there are some spam filters in place on the server which are set too aggressively marking many things as spam.
Old 2014-01-11, 12:02pm
Melody of Glass

Thanks for the reply. They are getting bounced back to me for some reason.

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain thealchemistsflame.com by mail.thealchemistsflame.com.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-01-19, 3:20am

Due to the fact that in Mauritius we cannot receive payments from Etsy sales, we have had our website redone as an e-commerce site. If anyone can spare a few minutes to give me an opinion on the site I would be most grateful as we are not getting the sales volume we were hoping for. I am a lamp worker and my husband does fused and slumped glass so we market together. The site is http://www.mauritianartglass.com. Although I love lampworkeretc.com I do not post much so please forgive me if this post is not appropriate.
Old 2014-01-20, 12:44pm

A lot of people assume that having their own website will instantly get them sales. This is not true, when you are part of a site like Etsy you get the traffic they have on their site, Etsy has millions of visitors each day. When you start your own site you get maybe 100 visitors per day. This is because people need to be able to find your site, you will need to advertise and market your site. Another thing you could do is to hire a Search Engine Optimization company (SEO) to help get your site ranking higher in the search engines.

I did a few quick searches for Mauritian with keywords such as beads and you came up first in the results. The same when I searched for Mauritian glass. The one thing I could suggest is that you have the site redesigned to be more professional and easier to navigate. You should talk to a web development firm or a person who has been doing User Interface work for a while. They will know where to place each item to make it grab the attention of visitors.

Many don't know this but a lot has gone into studies on where a consumers eye will travel along the page, positioning items in certain places leads to better experiences for the customer.
Old 2014-01-20, 12:45pm

caliente: I would suggest you get in touch with your web hosting company to have them determine why your emails are not coming through, that is a server side issue that they will need to fix.
Old 2014-01-20, 1:25pm
Dazed and Confused

I have a question for the Collective LE Web here….?

I'm looking for a decent online course in HTML5 and wondered if all y'all know of one? I'm willing to pay for it - as long as its not stupidly expensive- although free is always better if possible

Am not a total n00b, as I learnt enough HTML back in the mid-90's to create my employers website, and used Flash extensively before it succumbed to Adobe.

Any tips gratefully received!
Old 2014-01-20, 2:51pm

There are a few resources you can use, below are some free ones

http://www.html-5-tutorial.com/
https://www.udemy.com/learn-html5-pr...-from-scratch/
http://www.develop-online.net/news/g...dacity/0114042
Old 2014-01-20, 3:28pm
Dazed and Confused

Thanks so much!

I'll go check them out now
Old 2014-01-20, 4:23pm
Melody of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrawford View Post
caliente: I would suggest you get in touch with your web hosting company to have them determine why your emails are not coming through, that is a server side issue that they will need to fix.
Thanks. I will do that. I did at some point last year with no resolution but will try again.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-02-03, 8:53pm
Heart of Flame

I asked in a separate thread - I hope you all won't mind me asking here. Is there a place that I can build an easy website (like Weebly or Wix) and then host it for free USING my domain that I bought from Godaddy (not using a subdomain)?????

Thank you so much for reading this!!

Old 2014-02-04, 1:43pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingpullet View Post
I have a question for the Collective LE Web here….?

I'm looking for a decent online course in HTML5 and wondered if all y'all know of one? I'm willing to pay for it - as long as its not stupidly expensive- although free is always better if possible

Am not a total n00b, as I learnt enough HTML back in the mid-90's to create my employers website, and used Flash extensively before it succumbed to Adobe.

Any tips gratefully received!
I see a lot of people asking this. To them, I always pose the following question...

Why do you want to use HTML5? I realize it does a lot of cool things and makes some things easier, but are you planning on putting fallbacks in place?

If someone is on an older browser all those cool things are going to break.

I still think it's best to stay away from most of the HTML5 features for another couple years.

•
•
•
Old 2014-02-09, 9:50pm
Dazed and Confused

@Cosmo, thanks for the question!

I was perfectly happy doing everything in IWeb, but the app is no longer being maintained by anyone and will soon be moribund. And I loved Flash too, but it doesn't run on mobiles. Plus Adobe bought it and b0rked it imnsho.

Also, I'm an old-skool HTML coder, and wanted to update my skill base.

Just out of interest, what browsers do you think don't run HTML5?
Old 2014-02-11, 1:13pm
ManBearPig

There are a lot of them that don't support a lot of the HTML5 features. http://caniuse.com/#cats=HTML5

•
•
•
Old 2014-02-11, 4:35pm
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
There are a lot of them that don't support a lot of the HTML5 features. http://caniuse.com/#cats=HTML5

I wouldn't necessarily say 'a lot'. A few of the older operating systems may not support HTML5, but its no reason for me not to just go ahead and learn it anyway.

I guess I was more interested in your energetic interest in me not learning something new, rather than in the few people I'll miss connecting with, who are still using the older iterations of IOS Safari…

Anyway, thanks to all who gave advice! I'll bow out now before I put my foot further into my mouth...
Old 2014-02-18, 8:27am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingpullet View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say 'a lot'. A few of the older operating systems may not support HTML5, but its no reason for me not to just go ahead and learn it anyway.

I guess I was more interested in your energetic interest in me not learning something new, rather than in the few people I'll miss connecting with, who are still using the older iterations of IOS Safari…

Anyway, thanks to all who gave advice! I'll bow out now before I put my foot further into my mouth...
I never said not to learn something new. If you want to learn it, then by all means do so.

I am just speaking from experience. I get a lot of clients asking for a "HTML5" site. That's all well and good, but if you don't have fallbacks in place, you can pretty much break a site for older browsers.

If someone really pushes the issue, I'll put all the HTML5 bells and whistles into their site. But inevitably they come back to me saying they had a customer claim they couldn't access their site, or that their site looked funny on their home computer or their phone or whatever.

•
•
•