Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2013-04-14, 8:07pm
Otter

Default Wordpress themes

Hello I have just decided to use wordpress my website.

I was wondering if anyone has a good suggestion on a theme to use. I would like something pretty clean easy to use not a lot of buttons or widgets and one that can display photos nicely.

I kinda jumped right in and now I have an ugly mess lol.

Thanks for your suggestions,

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Murrini for Sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#R124
Old 2013-04-14, 9:56pm
Uh Oh....

Well, I used Quentin: http://www.mewkittie.com

And I like Connections. I did this one for my friend: http://www.majorfilm.net

I've seen the themes where they have all the bells and whistles. On these, they come pretty clean, then you can add in more widgets and buttons.

Old 2013-04-14, 11:01pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

I use Oxygen: http://www.judithbillig.com

It is a free theme.
However, I've bought the add-on and customized it, because I have apparently nothing else to do
Even without customization, I still love the clean & sharp look.

If you want to have a look more like a photo blog, search the themes for "portfolio" or for "photos".
That brings up lots of free themes purpose build for displaying photos easily.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2013-04-14, 11:29pm
Otter

Thanks you guys those are really close to what I am looking for I like the oxygen and the connections too.

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2013-04-15, 8:00am
Still makin' flowers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Thanks you guys those are really close to what I am looking for I like the oxygen and the connections too.
John - IN RE: Our conversation about Wordpress themes, mine is Connections, too.

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2013-04-15, 11:57am
ManBearPig

Check out www.themeforest.com, www.shape5.com, www.yootheme.com as well.

I generally create my own WordPress themes though.

Old 2013-04-15, 12:13pm

I use Atahualpa. I like three columns of info though. My shopping cart is Mals-e

Old 2013-04-16, 4:47pm
Otter

Thank you for your suggestions I found one that is working pretty good thanks to some really great help from Hannah.

I really needed to get my site moved and some information updated so I am good to go at this point may mess around with it at a later date.

John

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2013-05-05, 1:14pm

John and others....did you go with wordpress.com or wordpress.org? What was the deciding factor for you?
Thanks,
Vickie

My website:

Old 2013-05-06, 3:08pm
Otter

Hey Vickie,

I have know idea of the difference Wordpress.org and wordpress.com I am hosting my new website through hostgator and when you sign up with them you can download wordpress that is what I did and just went from there I don't know if I am with .com or .org.

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2013-05-08, 8:21pm

Thanks John. I was just trying to see what others were using. Your website is beautiful. Another reason I asked...lol
Vickie

My website:

Old 2013-05-26, 3:39pm
Co-owner

We went with .org and are self hosted so we have more flexability and freedom to customize. If I wanted a smaller site I would go .com as it is simpler to set up and has what most people need.

PHONE: (385) 237-3365
OXYGEN 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0575
LAMPWORKING 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0576
Old 2013-08-07, 8:48am

I am currently building a website using wordpress... With the number of themes that are available for wordpress, how did you all make a decision on which one to use? I am going to look at the ones recommended in this thread, but am just really curious how you found and arrived at them. There seem to be so many choices, it's a bit overwhelming...
Old 2013-08-07, 9:36pm
Otter

Hi Ann, The reason I went with the one I did was I found a step by step tutorial on youtube that used that theme so I went with that one and it worked out pretty good.

Good luck,

J

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2013-08-07, 9:42pm
Uh Oh....

I kind of knew I wanted something simple. When I made mine, there weren't as many themes, features or options so it was much simpler. The only way to know if you like them is to look at them all and pick out a few that you really like, then start building. It's easy to change from one theme to another so you can change at any time. Some of the widgets might be different so make sure you pick one that has the options and features you want.

It's easier when you kind of decide what features you really want. Like a custom header or the date showing. Another thing you can do is check out other wordpress sites and see if any of them appeal to you.

Last edited by mewkittie; 2013-08-07 at 9:44pm.
Old 2013-08-08, 6:42am

Thank you Otter and Susan for the replies! I am getting there. It is rather fun building a website but making beads is more fun, so it's going slow! I need to get photos in order for my next step.
Old 2014-07-22, 7:30am
They see me rollin'...

Hi John: your website turned out really well! Did you go with Connections too?

I am trying to pick a theme now and am really overwhelmed by all the choices.

Thanks!

-Patti
Old 2014-07-22, 7:55am
They see me rollin'...

Ah, never mind. I realized that at the bottom of your web page it says that you are using the "Responsive" theme. I thought that was an adjective, not a noun at first. lol

That is a nice one.

I'm thinking of using "Make". Any thoughts?

http://wordpress.org/themes/make

Hmmm. I was planning to have e-commerce on my website. Though I could add that in later and just use the etsy widget for now. It appears that Woocommerce is only available if you buy the $99 Make Plus? https://thethemefoundry.com/wordpress-themes/make/

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2014-07-22 at 8:00am.
Old 2014-07-27, 9:48am
They see me rollin'...

*crickets*

Well, I finally decided to just go for it and downloaded the oxygen theme. Now what? I haven't figured out how to upload it into wordpress yet. I have website hosting with hostgator and installed wordpress there.

I followed the instructions here to get it set up:

http://www.dearblogger.org/wordpress...tgator-hosting

I'm sure I can figure it out eventually by googling it, but any advice? Thanks!

Edit: n/m, it looks like there are good instructions here:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Themes

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2014-07-27 at 10:37am.
Old 2015-02-19, 6:07am
Art with Heart

Default Wordpress Yoast Plugin

One other thing with Wordpress. Definitely download the Yoast plugin. It will help you to ensure every page is rich in keywords. Adding keywords to your site in all the right places is the difference between having a brochure website and a website that actively draws visitors into your site day in day out. Oh, and it's free
Old 2017-09-06, 10:55am

Though this thread is old, I should say, I've found many useful links here. Thanks!
Old 2017-09-10, 2:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarLady View Post
Though this thread is old, I should say, I've found many useful links here. Thanks!
I agree. Sometimes it is hard to find a proper solution for a website building. So, I also want to share my experience. For my website creation I used one of the TemplateMonster scuba website wordpress templates and I was pleased with the result as it looked great and was perfectly viewed on all electronic gadgets. I hope it will help someone!