Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2013-11-24, 8:50pm
Lizard rescue squad

Default ArtFire help

The issue that originally prompted this post/thread has been resolved. If a mod could kill the thread I would appreciate it. I can't figure out how to do it myself. (Is that only possible in the Garage Sale area?)

Thanks,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by glassmaker; 2013-11-30 at 6:01pm.
Old 2013-11-24, 9:10pm
Just Plain

I can see all photos except the 1/2 lb - CM1021 ones and the CMDA1019 cane - half pound ones. I'm drooling over the ones I can see!

Old 2013-11-24, 9:28pm
Lizard rescue squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
I can see all photos except the 1/2 lb - CM1021 ones and the CMDA1019 cane - half pound ones. I'm drooling over the ones I can see!
Thanks Jayne. Are those the photos on the main page, or did you open the listings as well? There were a bunch in the listings that weren't showing up for me. Either way, if there were some that didn't show up for you too, it sounds like the problem may be with ArtFire.

I appreciate you taking the time to look.

Brad

Old 2013-11-24, 9:49pm
Just Plain

I opened the listings and they were all there, except for those 2 that I mentioned...their pics didn't show up on the home page at all, but I clicked on them anyway and there were no pics on their individual pages either.

Old 2013-11-24, 10:12pm
Lizard rescue squad

Sounds like it probably is an ArtFire problem if you can't see them. They posted a notice last week about doing some server maintenance, so they probably messed something up then and I didn't notice until today. It wouldn't be the first time one of their site "improvements" was less than successful.

I'll hunt around the site and see if I can find out if the issue is widespread, or if they even know about it. Thanks for helping out.

Brad

Old 2013-11-24, 10:27pm
Just Plain

Sure, you're welcome

Old 2013-11-25, 6:41am
Lizard rescue squad

After doing some digging on the ArtFire site I discovered that the photo problem is widespread, and many people are having issues with their product listing photos not displaying for customers. This was apparently caused by a server "upgrade" last Thursday.

The ArtFire tech who posted about the problem a few days ago claimed it would be fixed by now. It isn't. If you have an ArtFire storefront it might be worth checking to see if your photos are displaying, and reload them if they aren't - which is what I am now in the process of doing. The tech claimed everything would work okay again if the photos were manually reloaded. I'll believe that when I see it, but I'm trying anyway. It's hard to sell items online when people can't see what they are buying.

Brad

P.S. Although my original question about whether this problem was due to ArtFire or my own browser has been resolved, I am leaving the thread up so other ArtFire users who see this post will know about an issue that might be affecting their own shops.

Last edited by glassmaker; 2013-11-25 at 6:44am.
Old 2013-11-29, 9:41am

I know you did not ask about this but it caught my eye when I was looking at your site. Everything looks nice and uniform except for you pagination numbers. You are using a bright red color for the active page and that is the only place I really see the bright red. I would suggest making that a more uniform color. Also for the active page number I would add some left padding or margin on that number so that it is not so close to the - that separates the page numbers. Here are a few screen shots I took so you could see exactly what I mean.

http://postimg.org/image/as0i9i2pb/
http://postimg.org/image/spta49o07/

Another suggestion is for your Striking Color logo header, I would suggest that you find a better quality image to use for this. In my browser it appears all pixelated as if you took a smaller image and blew it up to a larger size. Whenever you do this you lose quality as the image editor attempts to fill in pixels that do not exist with what it deems necessary. This leads to you seeing a pixelated image which turns out fuzzy looking.

If you cannot find a higher quality image you may want to have a designer create you one from scratch. If you do this make sure they make it really large so that you can scale "down" to any size you require. Using this method you will not get pixelated results like you are currently seeing.

http://postimg.org/image/qm0pbepfn/

Please don't take this critique to heart I am not trying to offend rather provide suggestions as I have been doing development since 1997

EDIT: I just noticed Artfire is a service you are using and changing this stuff (aside from your striking color logo) is probably out of your control.
Old 2013-11-30, 5:57pm
Lizard rescue squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrawford View Post
[snip]

EDIT: I just noticed Artfire is a service you are using and changing this stuff (aside from your striking color logo) is probably out of your control.
That's correct. I have VERY little control over how my ArtFire page looks/works. There are a number of changes I would make if I could.

And you are absolutely right about the logo. It was something I blew up to fit the space after ArtFire changed things a while back. I did have a high resolution version once upon a time, but lost it in a hard drive crash.

I understand where you're coming from and appreciate the constructive criticism.

Brad

P.S. I came back to this thread to delete it since the issue with ArtFire photos has been resolved and it's no longer relevant. But I can't find a way to do it. I thought posters could delete the threads they start, or is that only in the Garage Sale area? If a mod sees this you are welcome to kill the thread. In case no one does, I'm going to edit my original post to save people the wasted effort of looking for a problem that doesn't exist now.

Last edited by glassmaker; 2013-12-02 at 9:36pm.