Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2014-02-12, 6:36am
ManBearPig

Default Question about your web hosting

So I have a question for everyone.

Who do you use for your web hosting? How much do you pay? Are you happy with them? If not, why not?

I'm not looking for new hosting. I have an idea in mind and I'm just doing the research to see if it's going to be worth pursuing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-02-12, 7:30am
Angie09

Bluehost.com. Have used them for myself and my clients for 6-7 years now. Great tech support (and that means everything to me!) I think it's $5.95/mo if you sign up for 2 years of hosting. As they've grown, however, their service has become less personal but I'm happy enough to stay with them. What fun thing are you thinking of doing Cosmo???
Old 2014-02-12, 8:04am

I'm looking, too, so I'll check back in. It's also time to pay for my domain name.

Old 2014-02-12, 8:15am

I use Hostgator for my main website and Justhost for my Coloraddicition website. They are both fairly inexpensive - about $10/month. Lately, Hostgator has had serious issues with their billing department. Other than that, both have been stable servers with decent customer service and an easy interface to work with.

Old 2014-02-12, 11:35am
Mary Lockwood

Yahoo. 13 Years (I think...it's right around there). $9.99/month. Very satisfied.

Old 2014-02-12, 11:45am

MacHighway 3.95/month, $10/year for domain name.
Old 2014-02-18, 8:01am
ManBearPig

Yikes. A lot of highway robbery going on.

Been kicking around the idea of offering web hosting. Also thinking about catering it to people who are artists and offering customizable templates.

It's all still up in the air right now. Been researching it in several different venues. Looks like it's a definite possibility. It would definitely be possible to offer a nice hosting package for a lot less than most people are paying and still make it worth doing.

But, I still have to do some more research and make sure everything will work out like I think it will.

Old 2014-02-18, 10:30am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Yikes. A lot of highway robbery going on.

Been kicking around the idea of offering web hosting. Also thinking about catering it to people who are artists and offering customizable templates.

It's all still up in the air right now. Been researching it in several different venues. Looks like it's a definite possibility. It would definitely be possible to offer a nice hosting package for a lot less than most people are paying and still make it worth doing.

But, I still have to do some more research and make sure everything will work out like I think it will.
Cosmo, I'm not looking to do this right away but it is on the table for me for this year. I don't have a website, just the Etsy store, and I've reached the point where I'm going to need to change that. When you decide to go forward with this let me know, OK? I'm swamped right now and don't have the time or stock to dedicate to a site after the winter but should be in better shape by July or August. Just wanted to throw my name in the hat.

Old 2014-02-18, 10:33am
I fart diamonds

I've been using Dayanahost for close to 10 years and I pay $10 a year (yes, per YEAR). The price goes down if you pay for multiple years in advance.

Old 2014-02-18, 12:49pm
ManBearPig

Okay, one more question, if people don't mind sharing...

What do you get for what you pay? How much storage? How much bandwidth?

Old 2014-02-18, 7:56pm
Mary Lockwood

500 GB disk space

5,000 GB / month data transfer
(each additional GB costs $1 to add)

Unlimited site pages

500 email addresses

I can use their site builder or 3rd party tools.

Programming languages are supported.

Private registration is extra.

There is a sliding scale for the fee. A month at a time is $9.99/MONTH and it slides down to $5.99/month if you pay 5 years.

Old 2014-04-22, 7:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Yahoo. 13 Years (I think...it's right around there). $9.99/month. Very satisfied.
Ditto - Been with them 11 years and happy.....