Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-29, 2:16pm
can't stop the signal

Default I thought the mandrel spinner was an urban legend....

Has anyone ever seen or used this?
Attached Images

Old 2005-07-29, 2:34pm
needs to light the torch.

He has them here at the Gathering too!!!

Very Neat!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-07-29, 2:48pm
can't stop the signal

ooooo. do you think if i ask for one in pif i'll get one?
Old 2005-07-29, 2:52pm

We bought one and sent it back.
Not to bash the product or anything though.

Silver Mist Studios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High Quality Handcrafted Jewelry

Old 2005-07-29, 6:54pm
It's time to sparkle

I saw it in action at teh Milwaukee B & B show.

I wouldn't buy it. Not my style.
I have more opinions but I don't want to harm anyone.

Old 2005-07-29, 7:25pm
Professional Bead Pimp

Sorry if this sounds rude or whatever, but if you can't spin a mandrel properly, you probably ought to get into another hobby !!!

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-07-29, 8:07pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrach
Sorry if this sounds rude or whatever, but if you can't spin a mandrel properly, you probably ought to get into another hobby !!!
although I have a customer who only has ONE arm who might be able to make beads with it that I'm sure would make us all think about the positive uses of a tool like this..... maybe it has a place with people like that...

My DGf was told not to use power tools after his stroke and it would have KILLED him if he had..... That man could do MORE with one hand than most people I know with two... and much of his work was on a scroll saw...

my 0.02,

stacy

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-07-29, 8:13pm

Neat idea, but when you see it up close and in person... couldn't justify the cost. You slow it down by forcing it by holding the spinner as it spins. It had electrical tape holding it together, nothing covering the battery, and a little wheel with a little rubber band type thing spinning it. You also have to get the mandrel in there 100% perfect the glass won't wrap evenly cause it will spin all crooked.

Sorry just our input from our purchase. We sent it back next day, I didn't want to be rude or hurt their feelings... but when they asked I told them we couldn't justify that amount of money for something we felt would break easily and was so hard to manipulate.

Silver Mist Studios

Old 2005-07-29, 8:20pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Mist Studios
Neat idea, but when you see it up close and in person... couldn't justify the cost. You slow it down by forcing it by holding the spinner as it spins. It had electrical tape holding it together, nothing covering the battery, and a little wheel with a little rubber band type thing spinning it. You also have to get the mandrel in there 100% perfect the glass won't wrap evenly cause it will spin all crooked.

Sorry just our input from our purchase. We sent it back next day, I didn't want to be rude or hurt their feelings... but when they asked I told them we couldn't justify that amount of money for something we felt would break easily and was so hard to manipulate.
Misty,

I had read your comment and it was completely understandable... it was not your "tone" I was reacting to........

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004

Old 2005-07-29, 8:25pm

Oh I know! I just wanted to be honest about our purchase, but at the same time I dont want to come off as bashing them... yanno?

I mean I have very little hand dexterity and I wouldn't even use it.

Silver Mist Studios

Old 2005-07-30, 4:43am
Professional Bead Pimp

Like I said, I wasn't trying to be rude or insensitive. It just seems to me that if you REQUIRED a device like this to make beads, then it might be best to try something that is more easily done. As an example, something like painting might be better.

Lets assume one handed or one armed for a second. Think about the safety aspect of trying to "balance" the tasks of torch control, mandrel control, AND rod control. with just one hand. I'm not saying it is impossible, I'm just saying there is a steep learning curve. Theoritically, you could have some custom devices made that you could control with a foot, knee, or elbow to control things.

And Misty, big <<HUGS>> to you for trying this device and reporting on it. The first time I saw it it looked a little flimsy to me too. I guessed that the prototype was probably made by someone to assist a person with a handicap, and that was a good thing to do.

And Stacy, your DGf (I don't know this acronym) deserves MUCH praise for giving woodworking a try. A scroll saw is perfect because if it is bolted down, it is pretty safe to use even with limited mobility. I've learned that dealing with a handicap is much more about the mental aspect than the physical. I've been on crutches for almost 6 weeks and I learned (and witnessed) a LOT about handicap people and facilities, such as doors, stairs, and even parking spaces.

What WOULD work well for a one handed person would be a glass lathe. Unfortunately, they start at about $10,000 for a good used one.

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7

Last edited by BillBrach; 2005-07-30 at 4:54am.
Old 2005-07-30, 12:47pm
can't stop the signal

Hey, thank you to everyone who weighed in on this.
I was really curious. The brief videos on Scott's site are fascinating to watch and I was just amazed that someone went to the trouble to create this. In my first beadmaking class we were speculating about sticking a mandrel into a cordless drill

to see if it would spin more evenly than we could...

judy
Old 2005-07-30, 2:15pm
A True Woofer

I saw him demo this at open torch last night. It is a really cool device.

Old 2005-07-30, 2:26pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrach
DGf (I don't know this acronym) deserves MUCH praise for giving woodworking a try. A scroll saw is perfect because if it is bolted down, it is pretty safe to use even with limited mobility.
Bill,

first off, I probably should have my foot in my mouth for spouting off! that said, ty for the compliments for my DGf (Dear Grandfather) as he did AWESOME woodwork before and AFTER his stroke. I still have furniture he made and live in a house he built. I just know that if it had been taken from him after the stroke, he would have had little joy to live for... and he didn't have much with the stroke, diabetes, parkinson's, and moving from his home...

I do understand and appreciate your insights. It's just, as a clinical social worker, working with people in mental health, I see feats of determinism and faith work wonders daily. I also, of course, see feats of defeatism and anger work their destruction daily.

(btw, I thought it looked a little "unfinished" too for the money they want!)

Stacy

Old 2005-07-30, 3:21pm
what's a senior moment ?

Hi All -
I just want to say a couple of things please. Ditto to everything that Kimberly says and MORE ! I HAVE this tool and have absolutely no regrets in purchasing it. Scott and Monica are FABULOUS people ! The best customer service ! All the help you could ever want with this tool. I had a problem with mine and they replaced it NO PROBLEM with a brand new one. I have been using it nearly every time I sit at the torch and haven't had a single problem.
If you have hand problems, carpal tunnel, arthritis, cramping - this IS the tool for you ! Think about it, it spins that mandrel for you and that alone will save you from injury which DOES happen with repetitve work. No matter WHAT repetitive work you are doing. Lampworking is no exception.
The very first time I saw this tool listed on auction, it was a no brainer for me and I snatched it up immeditatley ! NO regrets at all and I'd buy a second one if I needed it ! lol !
If you ever get a chance to try it, do. You will be amazed !
Thanks,
Debbie A.
Old 2019-08-26, 6:54pm

<Sigh> The inventor did call me back and I did place an order on 7/2/2019. Money sent on 7/2/2019. No product, and he does not return phone calls. My classes begin a week from tomorrow. 55 days. I called on Day 42, and no response. Discouraged new student of fire.
Old 2019-08-27, 5:55am

Oh no .. that's too bad! Have you tried his email?

http://www.bearfootart.com/contact.htm
Old 2019-09-06, 8:42pm

Yes, I have sent an email and left messages. Some people in the forum do have the electrical mandrel spinner, and you did find value, how long would you wait for someone to order a product? Is this normal? I had my first intro to bead making class last night and I ordered this product 2 months in advance of my class.
Old 2019-09-07, 7:15am
Dix Harrison

Sadly, this is typical for Scott.

He has promised dozens of times that things will be different.

They are not.
Old 2019-09-22, 12:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrach View Post
Bill,

My hands are very shaky- they always have been. Does that mean I am not worthy of lampworking? I don't think so.

I hand sanded off the corner of a marver and drilled a hole into it, kitty corner. I fit one end of my mandrel in the marver and am able to spin my mandrel levelly. It's what keeps me going.... but rude? This is a link to an old post of mine that shows what I mean. It's a little tutorial on how I make beads the same size... simple frit beads but the focus in this is how I "adjusted" my marver so I can spin a mandrel levelly.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ght=smootprint

And, Bill, I did find your comment to be rude.

Sue
and the present is a gift.

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2019-09-22 at 12:46pm.
Old 2019-09-23, 10:53pm

I doubt Bill is still around 14 years later.
Old 2019-09-24, 3:21pm

Let's hope not.

I mean, how many stutterers act or sing?
Old 2019-09-24, 4:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locococo View Post
I doubt Bill is still around 14 years later.
lol- I didn't realize this thread was that old. Someone commented in it, which brought it to the surface of new posts.

I had to chuckle at myself when I figured it out- finally.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2019-10-01, 7:14pm

To follow-up on the mandrel, I received it on September 14, 2019 but of course it was after my lampworking class. I have received a glass order though in the mail, and hope to begin this journey soon. I'm sure I will like this piece of equipment, as I don't think a glass blowing lathe is ever on the list unless I win the mega lottery.
Old 2019-10-04, 8:40pm

I bought one of the first ones years ago. At first I didn't like it because keeping tension on it with my fingers to control speed made my fingers cramp up. Also the batteries were really hard to remove and they didn't last long at all. There is a learning curve to it. But an electrician friend of mine fixed me up. He added a plug so I don't have to rely on spendy batteries and also added a foot pedal to control speed so I don't have to pinch it with my fingers. I don't use it very often, but it's terrific for making realy thin tight twisties, discs that are consistent and I have the double roller to go with it and it spreads out a gather into a long tube really fast. So it is a handy tool now that it's modified.