Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2008-08-12, 4:07am
BeadsonCypress

Default OK who sells Sludge Plus??

I just got a sample and want some more....
Looked all over several of my favorite vendor sites....
Who sells this stuff???

Thanks! Susan

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2008-08-12, 4:35am
Flaming Redhead!

Arrow Springs...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2008-08-12, 9:30am

If it's Dip n Go Sludge, I carry it. 4 oz and 16 oz bottles
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-12, 10:48am
IMAHO

I like Dip n Go. Nice clean, smooth holes, especially in BHB. I'm glad to know where I can get it!

"Free your mind and your glass will follow"
Old 2008-08-12, 10:48am
Who me?

Arrow Springs - the sample you have is just regular Sludge Plus.

I may have to try some dip and go though.
Old 2008-08-12, 11:21am
BeadsonCypress

Thanks!!

Old 2008-08-12, 7:57pm

Bullseye also sells Sludge Plus. That's what I've always used, even though I started out with 104. I've recently got some Foster Fire Smooth and Tough that's supposed to be good for the wear and tear that molds do to a release. It's kinda grainy and that it makes it harder to clean out of the hole. On the other hand, using only Sludge +, I've had to soak mandrels for DAYS (including some freezer time) to get really long slender beads off. I've tried combining the 2 with expectable results: a little easier to get off the mandrel, a little harder to clean out. So (a little about me) I started out lampworking maybe 15 years ago, then got sidetracked by fusing. Have recently fallen in love with my torch again and am still trying to get my feet on the ground with all the new things going on. This is a GREAT forum! I am so inspired by the examples you all post and love the sharing of info/experience. For fusing, the Warm Glass board is like that for me - it taught me a lot about fusing since teachers are not really avalable in my area. Anyway, my question: is there somewhere that compares/contrasts releases? I don't know anythong about dip and go. What else is there and why do you like/dislike it?
Old 2008-08-14, 6:45pm
Scientific Glass Girl

mountain glass art.

Old 2008-08-14, 7:25pm
BeadsonCypress

Thanks...it's on it's way to NJ!!

Old 2008-08-15, 2:33am
Who me?

Quote:
On the other hand, using only Sludge +, I've had to soak mandrels for DAYS (including some freezer time) to get really long slender beads off.
welcome glass gardener

I have never had any trouble getting beads off the mandrels with sludge plus, even long beads - I tend to use it a little on the thick side though. I soak the beads in soapy water overnight. I use a pair of vice grips to hold the mandrel and if the bead is round and I can't get a grip, I use a green scrubbie to grasp the bead.

Hope this helps - I'd hate to have to mix it with a release that is more grainy.
Old 2008-08-18, 9:41am

Thanks for the welcome, Swamper. I do things the same as you but no soap in the soak water. That really helps? The ones that I did this weekend were much easier to get off - maybe I went thicker on the release. BTW, I think its a Rubbermaid product but am not positive, that I've started using instead of the scrubbies. Its like a thin rubbery paper towel-type thing and I cut into easy to handle bits. It gives a really good hold on the bead and is softer on my delicate skin, don't ya know!
Old 2008-08-18, 10:03am
Who me?

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome, Swamper. I do things the same as you but no soap in the soak water. That really helps? The ones that I did this weekend were much easier to get off - maybe I went thicker on the release. BTW, I think its a Rubbermaid product but am not positive, that I've started using instead of the scrubbies. Its like a thin rubbery paper towel-type thing and I cut into easy to handle bits. It gives a really good hold on the bead and is softer on my delicate skin, don't ya know!
Cool, I'll look for the rubbermaid thingie - don't want the scrubbie to scratch my beads -Soap in the water just takes away the surface tension allowing the water to saturate the bead release inside the bead hole faster. Think I heard that in a Jerry Baker gardening infomercial
Old 2008-08-18, 7:04pm

Quote:
Think I heard that in a Jerry Baker gardening infomercial
He knows everything, doesn't he?! I'll add soap. He'd probably say use a lemony soap and add tobacco juice, beer and cayenne pepper. Who knows...???!
Old 2008-08-21, 10:46am

That is the release I use and I absolutely love it. I am on my second 16oz container and I always buy it from Arrow Springs.

Debbie
Old 2008-08-21, 10:50am
Storm Queen

I usually use Sludge Plus or Dip and Go. I just got Blue Sludge Dip and Go and it is FAB! It's super smooth almost like marshmallowy if that makes any sense.