No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-13, 9:48am
color bomb

Red face How to organize enamels?

As I was picking out enamel colors, the wants greatly outweighed the didn't-wants, so I bought a complete set. Now that they're here, I have no ideas on how to organize them. Any suggestions? LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-08-13, 9:58am
T.J. made me do it

Definitely separate the transparent from the opaques. Then by colors groups.

Old 2013-08-13, 3:22pm
Senior Moment

I put mine in small tins with clear lids. You can find them in the wedding sections of Walmart or Michaels

Old 2013-08-13, 4:46pm
I'm meeeeelting

I store mine in magnetic tins on a magnetic board.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-08-13, 5:15pm
color bomb

Thanks! I was thinking of trying some of those stackable pill container things that screw one on top of the other.

Old 2013-08-15, 7:32am
sunscreen me baby

I use clear wide-mouth plastic jars with white lids. I have the color and stock number written on the top in sharpie.

~

Old 2013-08-17, 3:40pm
Super Duper

I like these:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...48&cat=1,43326
Old 2013-08-18, 6:54am
Formerly FishBulb

I store my murrini in those cases, and you have to watch that you can open and close them easily. They're not made overly well, and I've had to pry the tops off with a screwdriver. Some are alright, but you'll get some in every batch that are really no good.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2013-08-19, 6:57pm
Avada Kedavra

Aromatherapy suppliers stock little glass jars with white plastic lids. I scribble the code on the lid with permanent marker then store the glass jars upside down so I can see the colours I want. http://www.auroma.com.au/catalogue/c...ackaging/11503

This is the supplier in Australia for them, but they're not uncommon. I'm pretty sure you can get the same thing in an all plastic variety which keeps the cost down. I got mine in a sale so they were a good deal.

I'm glad I bought glass jars now because when I make enamel headpins I just dump the whole pin in the jar and don't have to worry about melting a hole in it... which is what I did to my pixie dust containers.

Anyhow, hope you found an option that suited you!

Old 2013-08-19, 8:51pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Here's how the magnets look. They are super strong and hold the containers to the metal wall. No glue required. The wall holds the magnet stronger than the container so you don't have to worry about the magnet playing tango with your tweezers and rakes. This way you can store them as close together as you like. Next task will be the frit collection.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I got mine at Nile Corp: http://www.nilecorp.com/product/1499..._2_quot_H.html

Old 2013-08-19, 11:21pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTheNumberImp View Post
Oh I like that.

I have mine in lip gloss slide tins, glued a magnet on the back like Torched Art shows.
Old 2013-08-20, 5:08am
sunscreen me baby

I am not a fan of those lids for something like enamel. I would suggest a screw on top so you don't "pop" off the top and get enamel dust flying.

~

Old 2013-08-20, 7:38am

Lab supply shops often have screw top specimen container supper cheap.

Glass test tubes and test tube racks work well if your a visual person.
Avery labels stick fairly well to keep track of numbers.
And yes it gets a very steampunk/ mad scientist feel to the demo.
All the best people are mad

Old 2013-08-20, 9:51am
color bomb

Old 2013-08-20, 9:59am

McMaster Carr has a lot of inexpensive small jars:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-jars/=o5cn3c
Old 2013-08-20, 11:24am
Dazed and Confused

If you're in the US, then Uline does a huge selection of glass jars in all shapes and sizes.

I've bought all sorts of things from them - from cardboard boxes to steel work benches - and they always deliver promptly and in good shape.
Old 2013-08-20, 8:25pm
Glass-aholic

I made a sample pull from each one day, on clear teardrops of flattened glass, glued it to the top and threw them in a drawer. Now I can see exactly what I want, and group them as I'm using them in combos to try.. Cuz I'm a dork... But other than that I just go w/ "pretty colors" as an organization for them. I tried doing them the other way, but kept not seeing any inspiration to use them that way. So. I guess it depends on how you use them what the best way to organize is. Because I used clear its pretty apparent (to me at least) which are translucent. And I like that as a layering effect w/ solids.. So just color works for me. I know.. More than you ever wanted!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-08-20, 9:02pm
It's all about the color.

Drawer 1 of 2

And don't even get me started on Frits.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2013-08-21, 3:49am
Avada Kedavra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post
Drawer 1 of 2

And don't even get me started on Frits.

AWESOME!