No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-04, 6:28am
Jamaican Me Crazy

Default Blue Coat Bead Release

Anyone have any tips on using this stuff. Tried drying it every possible way but my beads break loose while Im making them. Got this stuff as part of a Christmas gift of glass from my wife. On a tight budget during winter months here on the farm, so need to work with this stuff till cash flow comes in, in the spring.
Old 2010-01-04, 9:47am
Will work for glass...

Wow...I would think if you're losing actual beads in the process it might be worth investing in a better bead release, simply so you don't lose money in the glass you're wasting. You can get a small amount for a fairly good price...I'm sure you hate to waste your bead release but I hate to waste good glass even more! Have you tried air drying? Also, sometimes the release will get a better grip on the mandrel if you rough up the surface of the steel a little bit. I use sandpaper or a dremel tool if they're really shiny new.
Old 2010-01-04, 10:01am

THROW it away!! You can get a small bottle of bucket of mud for not too much! And it will last a long time. Definitely better than losing glass and time.
Amy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-04, 11:28am
Hobby Junkie

Good luck with the blue stuff. Almost every lampworker I know has tried the blue stuff at some point and had to just throw it out. I couldn't figure it out at all. No matter what I did, it popped or flaked off, the beads almost always broke loose (or the bead release broke loose and became imbedded in the hot bead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-04, 12:34pm
I speak Murrini!

I'm with Amy - ditch it! I've not had any experience with "blue" releases, but hear it's pretty much CRAP!

If you're gonna bother buying new release, I'd totally recommend "Sludge Plus" - it can be purchased from various suppliers. I've never, ever, EVER had any problems with it whatsoever; dries overnight (or in about 2 hours in direct So. Cal. sunshine) and doesn't break, flake and comes off like a dream (no "fighting" the bead off the mandrel!).

Google "Sludge Plus Bead Release" and many distributors come up (Arrow Springs, crloo, etc.)

Good luck!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-01-04, 1:12pm
Storm Queen

Are you talking about Blue Sludge? I tried it once and thought it was awesome. If it's Blue Sludge and you want to sell it, just let me know. I could take it off your hands.

Old 2010-01-04, 1:45pm

I only use Blue Sludge and have never had a problem.

Old 2010-01-04, 3:06pm
Sheryll

I'm pretty sure Blue Coat is different then Blue Sludge. I'm betting that Blue Coat is the one made by Sundance Glass? It's supposed to be their version of Blue Sludge, they also have a Black Coat - both of which are pain. I've used both but the Black Coat was the one in my kit when I first started out... it was either the bead release breaking or I couldn't get the bead off the mandrel. It was disheartening since I was finally making beads and I was having so many issues! Someone gifted me with a different bead release and after trying it out realized it wasn't worth all the hassle and threw out the black coat.

Since then I've tried a bunch of releases since (and will probably try more) and each has their own personality. Some can handle the pulling and pushing of the glass, some can't. Some clean out super clean (with transparents) and others not as much. There's some great suggestions on bead release in this forum but in the end, you'll have to find the one you like. I just looked up one store where they offer a bunch of different bead releases - most were only $7 for a 4oz bottle - that'll last quite a while and gives you a chance to try out the release to see if you like it.

Last edited by Raven Wylder; 2010-01-04 at 8:33pm. Reason: forgot the "is" in the first sentence
Old 2010-01-04, 3:41pm
Storm Queen

Ahhh....I had never heard of Blue Coat before. In that case...I don't want it.

Old 2010-01-04, 3:59pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Blue Sludge is the best and I've tried a lot of them. I won't buy anything else.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2010-01-04, 4:45pm
Likes to melt stuff...

Blue Coat and Super Blue Sludge are two different products. I never used blue coat, but Blue Sludge is my favorite, and I work some big, long winded beads!
Old 2010-01-04, 4:59pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Yep, they're different. Dip n' Go Blue Sludge is the BEST! You can get it at Arrow Springs. It's strong enough to use with boro and to hold glass on cabochon mandrels, and most times you can remove the beads without soaking.
*s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2010-01-04, 8:16pm
Alaska Boro

Agree with the Blue Coat comments from Arrow Springs. Finally made up my own recipe for use with boro beads. Now to try some other combinations to see how they do.
Old 2010-01-04, 9:05pm
Life is change. Love it

It's crap and it's too frustrating and expensive to use stuff like that. Pm me your addy and I'll pour some of my fusion into a small container for you.

Old 2010-01-05, 5:57am
Jamaican Me Crazy

Thanks for the responce, I contacted the supplier and they told me it most likely froze during delivery, They are over-nighting me a fresh batch. And yes money is so tight that 15-20 dollars is a exspence we cant afford during the off season. We are American farmers and when the crops are not growing we have no income other than craft and jewelry sales, which as everyone knows is booming right now. During the growing season we pay our bills three months in advance to get us thru the winter. The high cost of diesel fuel is killing us, from 89 cents to $3.99 a gallon in a few short years and per acre market prices only rose 1%. What you pay at the supermarket is not what I get for growing it, the middle man makes the money and if you dont like what he is offering you, then your crop will rot in the field. Feast and Famine the american way. At least used equipment is still cheap
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

Pete
aka worlds worst spelker

Last edited by woodywood143; 2010-01-05 at 8:02am. Reason: add
Old 2010-01-05, 7:56pm
Life is change. Love it

My bead release freezes almost every day and it still works just fine. This is a bad product. Try the new stuff they send you, and if it continues to give you problems let me know

Old 2010-01-06, 5:21am
Jamaican Me Crazy

ok thanks should be here this morning.
Old 2010-01-06, 8:40am
Jamaican Me Crazy

got the new batch, plus a couple freebies. New batch looks totally different in color (blue) than first (dark gray) gave it a shot with a few spacer beads, beads didn't break loose, ill know more when they come out of the kiln. thank you everyone

Pete
aka worlds worst speller
Old 2010-01-07, 10:55pm
Meow.

Pete - I'll also send you some release if you find you are still have problems. I have some Bucket O' Mud that everyone else and their mother seems to like - and I don't...I also have some fusion (which I do like) - you could get a good sampling. I'll even pay postage. But if you find what they've sent works - great! I'll save my offer for the next guy (or more likely gal)

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-01-08, 7:03am
Jamaican Me Crazy

Got my beads out of the Kiln and they came right off with no problem. I must have gotten a bad batch for sure. The vender made it right, Im no exspert on bead release have only used the Fireworks brand that came with my kit and now the Blue coat but this stuff is far superior to my intial release. I thank everyone for the kind offers. This stuff does work so Im good to go thanks again.

Pete
aka worlds wurst speller

Last edited by woodywood143; 2010-01-08 at 7:03am. Reason: add
Old 2010-01-08, 7:12am
Life is change. Love it

Glad to hear it.